Intel's New Vaunt Smart Glasses Shed the Glasshole Stigma

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel is giving The Verge a look into the future of smart glasses named Vaunt. It is basically a heads-up display that uses a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser. Intel will be opening an early access program later this year for developers to find out the best use cases, and likely some of the worst, for the Vaunt product. Thanks cagey.

Check out the video.

Dieter Bohn got an exclusive look at Intel's latest gadget. By shining a low-powered laser into your retina, the glasses can get all sorts of information without pulling out your phone.

Just skimmed thru the video. I like the size of these. I know it's main purpose is simple AR but if VR could approach this in some way I'd jump right in. One of the best uses I've seen so far for this tech is the instant translation of signage I saw with googles a couple of years ago. I really appreciate the minimalist approaches used in this across the board.

On side a note, Alternate Carbon had a cool scene in ep1 with AR.

And yeah, the jokes about economy laser eye surgery are in sight. Pun intended.

You could overclock your glasses to do Lasik, be [H].

On a more realistic note, integration on this scale (or better) is something that needs to occur if VR/AR are going to have market penetration past the current model of playing games in a designated location in your house. This looks like something that might actually get traction from a significant amount of users, I would certainly be interested depending on total functionality and price. I've been waiting for something similar since they started showing prototypes of AR systems embedded on a contact lens years ago.

Pokémon go 2 will be the first big game.

Be nice if they can hold rx lenses.

I don't wear glasses but those will be cool AF with the right apps.

Cliff notes: “Shines a low power laser directly into your retina”

People in 20 years will be laughing about this one.

Scanning for a detached retina, retinopathy, and any number of other issues could be a God send.

Time will see how well this can be pulled off.

I can see this being very useful in day to day work in IT. Its the stupid games and crap that devs will make that can turn this bad. Its a very interesting concept......i would think that Microsoft should take note.....they could be hololense 2.0 if they can get it to run a beefy enough processor.

If you scroll your screen to only show the top half of that video thumbnail, it looks like Gordon Freeman.

HL3 confirmed.

Nothing will erase the glasshole stigma imo. Sliding over to dismiss notifications makes you look fucking autistic.

Looks a lot more normal that the Google Glass. I had a Google Glass at work and my boss wanted me to wear it around (in public) so we could drive up business. Hell no. You looked like an idiot with Glass. Every time I saw someone wearing them in pubic, I just felt like smacking them off their face. Glassholes. Not too mention, Glass had numerous technical issues (battery life, over heating, not working worth a damn...)

I also like the fact that the Vaunt glasses do not have a camera. When people go to locker rooms, restrooms or even in public - cameras can be creepy in a hurry. I'm going to follow this product - it's at least interesting. I can see some uses for it that might be ok.
(Although, the laser in the retina ... just doesn't sound right. I'm not an optimologist, but how much testing has been done, any issues from this?)

This falls under my "Don't buy first revision hardware" rule. The bleeding edge has never held any interest to me.

Personally I cant wait for it to be hacked and someone to figure out a way to up the power...
Unlikely as it is limited by the amount of power available in the batteries, which is probably pretty small. Also, to keep the costs down, they are probably using a very low power device that would fry instantly if the output power were increased.

Unlikely as it is limited by the amount of power available in the batteries, which is probably pretty small. Also, to keep the costs down, they are probably using a very low power device that would fry instantly if the output power were increased.

*cough* sarcasm

For some reason when it comes to a laser shooting into my retina, I'm not interested in being a 1st gen owner.

I wish smart glasses become a thing. I could really use a pair to get my chords and lyrics in front of my eyes when playing guitar.

The whole AR/VR things really excites me.

It is like the Future is here in a more real way for me.

Companies should just make contracts with users, where users can choose to give up their data and get payed for it. I'd be happy to give all biometric data from my body a webcam and audio feed from my home, etc, if we made a deal for it.

I can see this being very useful in day to day work in IT. Its the stupid games and crap that devs will make that can turn this bad. Its a very interesting concept......i would think that Microsoft should take note.....they could be hololense 2.0 if they can get it to run a beefy enough processor.

Treat it like a thin client, data is sent from the glasses to the computer, and the computer sends you what you are supposed to see based on what you are doing. All the processing happens at the other end, not in the glasses.

I can see myself doing my IT job in a few years with glasses like these on, that see what I see, coupled to an AI that is learning what I do for a living, my tasks and responsibilities, so that it can interpret what I am working on and proactively assist with pertinent data. The moment an error code pops up on screen it's researching the code just in case I need it. The more often I actually ask for the code, the more often it will "offer" it. An AI, it will learn, I'll teach it by doing, it will learn by watching.

Pokémon go 2 will be the first big game.

Be nice if they can hold rx lenses.

It's in the video. They can, and the laser projection operates independent of the prescription so it is always in focus.

So, how does a person who already has to wear glasses use these? Wear 2 pairs and look stupid?
Am i missing the point? Is the lens irrelevant as the laser is part of the frame?

Not for me. The feeling that a laser is shooting into my eye is scary. What is the long term affect of this will be on your retina?

Not for me. The feeling that a laser is shooting into my eye is scary. What is the long term affect of this will be on your retina?
Nothing, if the output power is low enough. But I couldn't find info on the output power yet.

If they can manage the alignment and do full color could this be a tool for those legally blind with a functional retina?

I'd even take monochrome over 20/500. Pair a camera and ski some image processing. ...

Someone will manage to hax0r the glasses to suddenly shoot a burst of overclocked laz0r permanently damaging the eyes (if not blinding) of the user.

I think its kinda funny how people are now days, for no reason what so ever people suddenly think intels glasses are fine but googles were the return of satan. Reminds me of xbone and how people freaked out about it and online capabilities and all that and now all the same people are just buying their games digitally on the PS store. Certain things are coming down the line no matter what, I am going to laugh when the next gen PS4 doesn't have discs and console people are talking about how its a good move. And sooner or later people are going to be wearing AR glasses and when that happens they will all forget all the things they were said were creepy about google glasses.

Back