"Interesting" mATX XFX case

ToastMaster

Limp Gawd
Check this out:

XFX case

Seeing as how this was announced a while ago, I figure many here have already seen it. I hadn't though, so I thought I'd link it.

And personally, I like it a lot. Too bad I've only found it so far in the UK :/

Edit - And it's actually made by a company called Isotope.

dworley said:
Tigerdirect has it for sale:

XFX SFF Barebone system @tigerdirect.com

I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag.....I should be receiving this system soon to review ;)

:D

It looks like a nice case. I like how the side opens. And I'll be looking forward to your review of it. :)

Edit- I simply wish it came as just the case, because I was considering putting a Conroe mATX board in there.

ToastMaster said:
:D

It looks like a nice case. I like how the side opens. And I'll be looking forward to your review of it. :)

Edit- I simply wish it came as just the case, because I was considering putting a Conroe mATX board in there.
It would still cost $450+ without the board. :eek: If you can stomach that, why not get the whole thing and sell the board? What's the deal with the PSU...? Not seeing anything about it.

Cool case though.

sleepeeg3 said:
It would still cost $450+ without the board. :eek: If you can stomach that, why not get the whole thing and sell the board? What's the deal with the PSU...? Not seeing anything about it.

Cool case though.

Well, a British computer company has it for what calculates out to ~$330 US after tax, but not including shipping.

that case has been bouncing around for a while now. but this is the first time i have seen it with that really horrible paint job. and for only $550 with an $80 mainboard.

Soymilk said:
bah, finish the shootout article first before piling more work on yourself! i'm dieing over here waiting for it :(

No worries, I should be able to finish the shootout article soon, is there anything specific you want to know that you are waiting on? (PM me) ;)

navicaph said:
The thing weighs like 30 pounds! ;)

"It's the Hummer of SFF cases" :D

P450-8630-a.JPG

P450-8630-l.JPG

I like it. There are ugly aspects to it, but I think just how different and creative the design is is part of the appeal to me.

My main problem towards getting is, I'd have to do something about the two regions on the front (card reader and optical drive) that are not covered by acrylic. I'd have to go out and find some acrylic sheets of the same or roughly the same thickness, and then create two acrylic panels. :/

I like it. the only turn off is there's only one bay drive period. that may be the size of a hummber but how do you only have one drive? and where are the hdd mounted? look like there's only room for one, maybe at the top under the plastics? and it doesn't look like it might cool well either, only one big fan at the back, can't tell if its 80 or 120. wonder whats underneath the mobo, hope its not just wasted space. if it was A LOT cheaper I'd go for it, but for something over 500 AND including a board that I dont want, its too much. but same reason why people pay over 100k for a hummber h1, its so ugly that it looks good! and you can bet you won't bump into someone with the same case.

Outrigger said:
I like it. the only turn off is there's only one bay drive period. that may be the size of a hummber but how do you only have one drive? and where are the hdd mounted? look like there's only room for one, maybe at the top under the plastics? and it doesn't look like it might cool well either, only one big fan at the back, can't tell if its 80 or 120. wonder whats underneath the mobo, hope its not just wasted space. if it was A LOT cheaper I'd go for it, but for something over 500 AND including a board that I dont want, its too much. but same reason why people pay over 100k for a hummber h1, its so ugly that it looks good! and you can bet you won't bump into someone with the same case.

I think it may only hold 1 HDD. I'm not sure of that. It's held behind the optical drive, along the drive railing.

The fan on the back is an 80, and those two small fanguards are for two small, included fans if I recall correctly. If you look on the top of the rail, there appears to be a fan on the top, which would pull air from the opening where the handle is (I haven't seen any "top-down" pictures, to confirm if that's a fan or not).
The space underneath the motherboard is designed for placing the lengthy part of cables, for better cable management and airflow.

I do agree on the price. I would have ordered one already, but currently I'm simply still debating it.

ToastMaster said:
I think it may only hold 1 HDD. I'm not sure of that. It's held behind the optical drive, along the drive railing.

The fan on the back is an 80, and those two small fanguards are for two small, included fans if I recall correctly. If you look on the top of the rail, there appears to be a fan on the top, which would pull air from the opening where the handle is (I haven't seen any "top-down" pictures, to confirm if that's a fan or not).
The space underneath the motherboard is designed for placing the lengthy part of cables, for better cable management and airflow.

I do agree on the price. I would have ordered one already, but currently I'm simply still debating it.

I think to spend like 550 on a case that only holds one hdd, and one optical with just an 80mm fan is a bit too much. unless you just have money thats burning a hole in your pocket which I don't.

I collected all of the data for an SFF SLI shootout article with this case and several others but never had the time to put it all together and finalize it for a review.

The XFX / Pype case actually has internal mounting for 3 or 4 hard drives.

In the last two pics - you can see that I replaced the PSU, Motherboard and have it set up for SLI with two 7900GTX's ;)

dworley, Thx for the info & pics. Yes, some reviews of the SCAN systems using this case that make it pretty clear there are internal bays to accomodate add'l HD's. What I find intriguing about this platform design is that it would appear to allow one to untilize a large/heavy CPU cooling system, far in excess of the AMD recommended weight spec, w/o worry, thx to the mobo horizontal orientation, Even if that weren't the case, I just like the shape of the thing.

I was thinking you could maybe fit a Scythe Andy Samurai Master including fan if you dremel off the tab above the cpu; you don't really need more than 2 hard drives anyway. Any word on 8800 GTS/GTX fit tho? Perhaps with a shorter PSU.

Can you buy just the case anywhere? Not really interested in paying $550 for a Foxconn mATX board.

scan.co.uk if you're in europe (they don't ship worldwide). It would be cheaper to buy the XFX limited than to import just the case stateside.

I like the isotope much better than that "interesting" one. How much does the isotope go for if its even available?

Few questions:
1) Could I fit my 430w antec trupower in this?
2) Could I fit a top of the line GPU in this?
3) Is it availible with anything other can a foxcon mATX board? I really like to stick with Gigabyte or MSI.
4) Would you recommend getting it? I am interested in building a VERY powerful SFF system for max fps in gaming and possible carryability for lanning.

Back