Internal or External Enclosure?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I want to get a 2nd HDD to store my random movies/music backups. I was thinking of getting an internal, because I want to use it on my notebook, but I have a esata port, so I'm guessing an external 3.5" drive would be better, because I can get double the space of a (500GB 2.5" notebook drive) for the same price?

Just curious what you guys would do... my collection is around 250 GB.

I was thinking of getting a 1.5 TB Internal with Enclosure. Yes, no? It would be basically just for files.

I'm confused... You have an e-SATA port on your notebook? You're looking at the prices of pre-built external drives vs a single internal drive? You lost me on the 2nd sentence of the post talking about several things at once... Internal drives + an enclosure is what I usually do for my backups do, and I keep one such drive for both my desktop and netbook (since there isn't much to backup on the netbook besides the base OS config which is like 20GB tops)...

The Ultra enclosure in my sig has worked well so far and it has e-SATA + USB, seems to dissipate heat pretty well (direct metal contact around the sides of the drive), tho we'll see how long it lasts. Over the last few years I've killed two different enclosures, a Western Digital pre-made and a DIY that had an 80mm fan, neither lasted more than 3 years.

Edit: Re-reading your post I realized half the comments were with regards to using it on your notebooks (and about 2.5" drives), but does your notebook have a 2nd HDD slot, would you just be replacing the current drive, or what? Either way, 3.5" drives are obviously faster/bigger for the price, always.

I'm confused... You have an e-SATA port on your notebook? You're looking at the prices of pre-built external drives vs a single internal drive? You lost me on the 2nd sentence of the post talking about several things at once... Internal drives + an enclosure is what I usually do for my backups do, and I keep one such drive for both my desktop and netbook (since there isn't much to backup on the netbook besides the base OS config which is like 20GB tops)...

The Ultra enclosure in my sig has worked well so far and it has e-SATA + USB, seems to dissipate heat pretty well (direct metal contact around the sides of the drive), tho we'll see how long it lasts. Over the last few years I've killed two different enclosures, a Western Digital pre-made and a DIY that had an 80mm fan, neither lasted more than 3 years.

Edit: Re-reading your post I realized half the comments were with regards to using it on your notebooks (and about 2.5" drives), but does your notebook have a 2nd HDD slot, would you just be replacing the current drive, or what? Either way, 3.5" drives are obviously faster/bigger for the price, always.

Sorry if I wrote it confusing. Surviving on little sleep due to exam week. Yes, my notebook has a 2nd HDD spot, but it has an esata port as well, for a sata cable. I'd basically just dropping my movies and music onto it. I have a 320GB drive already, just would like some space where I can transfer the movies/music off of my desktop's 2nd HDD to my notebook, as I can't take my desktop with me as easily. Living on my own now.

So, cliff-notes version

2.5" Internal HDD for my 2nd bay or

3.5" Internal HDD with an enclosure.

Thanks!

I would take the internal if i had the chance. I don't like messing with external drives if i don't have to.
That beeing saied if it is purely for backup and you dont need access to the files unless the originals get lost/broken then go for the external and put it away somewhere safe.

do you download alot,?

internal no worries about plugging in an ext drive, power, eSATA and having to reboot to pick it up.

external - get a hella lot more storage...

i would go internal cause then say you want to take your notebook somewhere you dont have to copy a bunch of files you may want to take with you from the external.

Hmm, the notebook is basically a desktop replacement. It is only really for storage, i.e., Media... tough call.

Back