Internal USB Hub

benamaster

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know if there are internal USB Hubs?

I have the eVGA SLI board with the Silverstone case. It has 4 ports up front but I have to leave 2 unplugged because I have a Matrix Orbital screen up front.

hey

i havent heard of one, but just find the smallest usb hub you can find and stick it inside

I believe that he would still need a connector that converts the usb plug into a 4-pin header....

I also curious where we can purchase that?

probably in another forum where they talk about this kind of stuff...like not the SFF forums.

Steeeeve said:
probably in another forum where they talk about this kind of stuff...like not the SFF forums.

shut up firstly

as for a usb 4 pin header to plug its pretty easy to make one (i did when i put my 128meg usb stick in between the front plastic and the case on my qpakc)

find an old USB extension cable and cut the female end off when about 4 inch to spare

The wire colours you find should match up to the usb header plug that you already have from an old motherboard or something and just solder it up

Another way is take an old pci usb card and hack it apart to just leave you with the usb plug and the cable

Either will work, I also dont think this is available to buy specifically

Well most of the people in the SFF area wouldn't throw another PCI card in the computer to get more USB ports and alot of members have added LCD screens and card readers to the front. I do think I will just use an external hub, I just need to find a nice and small unpowered/self powered one.

A lot of the older PCI USB cards had one or two ports on the inside as well as the outside. I know I had two of them a while back but I can't remember the brand. They were the cheapest things I could get from pricewatch at the time. Hope that helps ya.

ethos747474nikon8989 said:
A lot of the older PCI USB cards had one or two ports on the inside as well as the outside. I know I had two of them a while back but I can't remember the brand. They were the cheapest things I could get from pricewatch at the time. Hope that helps ya.

I use a card like that in my full size computer. With the two 7900GTX's there is 0 room for PCI cards. I think I will get one of those USB hubs that watson1987 posted the link to and mess around with it. I can get the motherboard headers from some older cases I saw them on the FrontX website before too.

Thanks to watson1987, Lolento and ethos747474nikon8989 for being so helpful!

I wish I had an unused USB header! But I was thinking the same thing, a thumbdrive with a USB hub.

Yeah I wish I didnt break off the wires for the other usb header of the 2nd port so I could power my front temp display, I know it would have enough wire

My idea was to get a usb hub and get bluetooth, wifi, thumbdrive and a built in wireless ekyboard and mouse combo

it would have to be the best setup ever!!!!

My plan is to use one of the 4 pin headers and get the 4 port hub. Then connect, the LCD Screen, Bluetooth, WiFi and the other front USB port that is supposed to be connected.

watson1987 said:
shut up firstly

as for a usb 4 pin header to plug its pretty easy to make one (i did when i put my 128meg usb stick in between the front plastic and the case on my qpakc)

find an old USB extension cable and cut the female end off when about 4 inch to spare

The wire colours you find should match up to the usb header plug that you already have from an old motherboard or something and just solder it up

Another way is take an old pci usb card and hack it apart to just leave you with the usb plug and the cable

Either will work, I also dont think this is available to buy specifically
shut up because the thread is unrelated? It doesn't belong here...and since it doesn't I don't mind wasted more posts on explaining why it doesn't.

I disagree. It is related to SFF's because in a full size PC you would simply throw a PCI card in. Now on a mATX motherboard I don't think anyone wants to wast a PCI slot on a USB card.

Yeah..the best solution is probably to just get a USB hub and put it in the back.

That would be a pain taking it to a LAN party with a USB Hub hanging out the back. I am going the internal route and ordered a Hub from newegg. I'll post pics once I get it in and done.

Back