Internet Curfew For Students In India

HardOCP News

[H] News
The authorities at the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay have cut off internet access to student dorm rooms at night. The school feels that 24hr internet access is hampering students' academic performance and overall personality development. Wow

They feel that 24-hour internet access is hampering students' academic performance and overall personality development. Students have unlimited free access to the internet in their hostel rooms to help with coursework and research but many of them use it to download movies, play games and chat online instead.

But being able to download movies, play games and chat online is apart of the college learning process now :D lol

this is actually not bad, because compared to here the workload in India is absolutely insane, and not studying every waking moment will get you nowhere in life, there are no second chances.

Contrary to...it is still possible to do well in school AND have a life/have have fun.

Heh. This would've been nice when I was in college, although I probably would've found other ways to avoid my academic well-being. :D

I studied at a school in Gurgaon, India (just south of New Delhi) last semester, they had a different approach...
During the day it was shut off, then turned on around 6PM or so, and turned off again at about 7am.
The main reason was they had so little bandwidth they couldn't support people durring the day and have the college classes that required the internet work even half way decent.

Problem was that the net was NEVER reliable, it would go down every 20 minutes, the power was out every 2-3 hours (they had a backup generator, but it took time to kick in)
It made life interesting....

Good idea. I know a few kids that flunked out because they were addicted to the internet.

A guy hung himself at IITB in Jan.. couldn't cope with the insane academic pressure there.. he kept playing games and watching movies online.

IITs are tougher to get into than some of the Ivy League colleges you guys have in the US.. huge workloads there. This is a good thing they're doing.

@dementer - interesting! Were you at MDI in Gurgaon? I'm currently working with GE in Gurgaon as well.

what?

So killing yourself over education makes total sense right? I'm sorry but when things get THAT tough in school...take a f*cking break.

Back