Internet Explorer 7.0 slowdown

c1001

Gawd
In the past couple of weeks when I open an IE browser on my main workstation it takes between 20-30 seconds to actually launch the browser. Once open, the page itself loads quickly. If I try to open a new browser the original page is innaccessible until the new page loads. Over time, things seem to get slower and slower until IE stops responding. In the Task Manager I can't click on the non-responsive app and close it. I have to go to the processes tab and stop the IEXPLORE.EXE process. Then I will have a number of DUMPREP.EXE processes running that never go away until I manually stop the process. New browsers will not launch until I close those dumprep processes. I also notice that when I am trying to launch a browser CPU usage will spike past 70% and IEXPLORE.EXE will consume a huge amount of memory (up to 168,000k)

I haven't detected any spyware.

I have three PCs on the same gigabit network. The others don't have this lag. Internet speeds seem to be fine (19,243 kbps download). If I open up enough browers my PC will basically come to a stop, with it taking up to a minute to respond.

I am running XP MCE SP2
AMD 4400+ CPU
2gb DDR 400 Corsair memory

I also have Norton SystemWorks 2004 running. Since I renewed the subscription I have noticed that system scans now take much much longer. Could there be a connection?

Try 100% disabling the Norton... If you even think there is an inkling of a connection- disable it and see if it is...

Otherwise, is this an XP or Vista machine? I would try running at least AdAware SE, Windows Defender- they seem to be the best combo without installing a ton of scanning crap on your computer.

Delete all your offline/temp files, cookies, etc in IE7. What's nice is this is all one step now.
After that, try repairing the connection (clears some caches out in one step).
Then try rebooting. Rebooting is such a moot thing nowadays, but many people (I myself am guilty) will troubleshoot a problem to death when all the computer wanted was a restart.

Disabling Norton didn't seem to make a difference. This is an XP machine. I am running Adaware and Spybot and Defender. I deleted tem files and rebooting is my friend.

One thig I am noticing is that when I close an IE window, the IEXPLORE.EXE process still runs in the process tab, sucking up memory. Right now, with two IE windows running and no other programs, CPU usage is at 70% WTF?

Disabling Norton didn't seem to make a difference. This is an XP machine. I am running Adaware and Spybot and Defender. I deleted tem files and rebooting is my friend.

One thig I am noticing is that when I close an IE window, the IEXPLORE.EXE process still runs in the process tab, sucking up memory. Right now, with two IE windows running and no other programs, CPU usage is at 70% WTF?

Flash Player takes a fair bit of CPU power if you have an older CPU (early AXP or early P4).

Back