Interpolation - Help me choose a monitor

zoid

n00b
Ok the time has come to get rid of the bulky CRT taking up all my desk space,
I’m looking for a high end 17” or maybe a 19” TFT. Obviously I want excellent picture quality, colour reproduction, and no or very minimal ghosting as I like to do some gaming, although not fast pace games like Unreal Tournament. Also the monitor should have a DVI input, and preferably an internal power supply. However one thing that is very important is how it handles interpolation at lower than it’s native resolution, especially important as I tend to run most games at 1024 x 768. So far I got the list down to the following:

• Samsung 17" Syncmaster 172X – great looking monitor, and apparently handles interpolation extremely well.
• Samsung 17" Syncmaster 710T – not as nice looking as the 172X but has an internal transformer, and I believe uses the same panel so I’m assuming interpolation is also very good.
• LG L1730b 17” – replacement to the older L1710B which had good reviews, although I have no idea how it copes with lower resolutions.
• Viewsonic VX910 X Series 19" – good response time, heard good things about it but no idea how it handles interpolation.

Your experiences of these monitors along with any advice would be greatly appreciated!

when i had my CRT i used 1024x768 all the time too, but as soon as I got my LCD i switched over to 1280x1024. Basically, lcd's look their best at their native resolution and anything else is blurry or not as bright (at least in games).

I just picked up my 710T yesterday and I am amazed by it! I have two other lcd panels that have VGA connections and the DVI is way better for the things you want. Since DVI is automatically perfectly centered you have a much better image with interpolation compared to VGA.

All LCD's use a basic form of interpolation that just streches the pixels. One thing I like about my 710t with DVI is that through the Nvidia drivers I can tell it how to handel non native resolutions. For example, I can use the video card to do the interpolation for me instead of the monitor. Or, I can tell it to display black boarders so that the image stays sharp at lower resolutions. I couldn't do that with VGA.

As I understand, thd 172x is being replaced by the 710T, so you should probably just go with that.

Read this post where i kinda went over it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=804341

Back