Intersting review on Planar PX2611W

How ABOUT you stop posting repeat threads of the same question and READ the Planar 26" thread from the start.

How ABOUT you stop posting repeat threads of the same question and READ the Planar 26" thread from the start.

i did read it but i need some straight answers by experienced people to help me make my final decision on this important purchase. i ask direct questions but never receive DIRECT answers.

i did read it but i need some straight answers by experienced people to help me make my final decision on this important purchase. i ask direct questions but never receive DIRECT answers.

Almost all answers you receive will be opinions. The only real way for you to find a LCD fit for your needs are to.

1: Shop locally so you can see the screens in person.

2: Order the screen in question, and test it in your environment until you find one that fits.

Bottom line there is no, this is best LCD for you go buy it direct response, as everyone likes one screen over another, and most choose screens based on the work it will have to do.

Almost all answers you receive will be opinions. The only real way for you to find a LCD fit for your needs are to.

1: Shop locally so you can see the screens in person.

2: Order the screen in question, and test it in your environment until you find one that fits.

Bottom line there is no, this is best LCD for you go buy it direct response, as everyone likes one screen over another, and most choose screens based on the work it will have to do.

yes but i have specifically stated that i want the best H-IPS LCD panel 26 inch or 24 inch monitor that shows the best picture for bluray movies and pc games. and i still dont have any experienced input. i'm a noob on LCD monitors. my questions are direct but i never have them answered directly.

yes but i have specifically stated that i want the best H-IPS LCD panel 26 inch or 24 inch monitor that shows the best picture for bluray movies and pc games. and i still dont have any experienced input. i'm a noob on LCD monitors. my questions are direct but i never have them answered directly.

I have ACER 2616W, it's an 8bit panel.
Games are fine....granted the darkess game I played was Q4.
Bluray will look good on almost any panel....if I were you, I'd focus on getting the best gaming monitor.

I have ACER 2616W, it's an 8bit panel.
Games are fine....granted the darkess game I played was Q4.
Bluray will look good on almost any panel....if I were you, I'd focus on getting the best gaming monitor.

but i wonder if H-IPS panels will show a much better picture than TN or MVA with the bluray High resolution movies. people here have seen a H-IPS panel in action with bluray compared with a TN panel but they refuse to answer for some reason.

There is no BEST monitor. That is why you are getting indirect answers.
The NEC 90 series monitors are the best...UNLESS you want the lowest input lag. If you are picky about input lag, get the Planer.

Currently, even the most expensive monitors have at least one drawback when compared to others. You have to pick what you want to compromise on... We can't pick for you. If you can't compromise, buy both.

There is no need to start 7 threads on the same topic.

There is no BEST monitor. That is why you are getting indirect answers.
The NEC 90 series monitors are the best...UNLESS you want the lowest input lag. If you are picky about input lag, get the Planer.

Currently, even the most expensive monitors have at least one drawback when compared to others. You have to pick what you want to compromise on... We can't pick for you. If you can't compromise, buy both.

There is no need to start 7 threads on the same topic.

there is a BEST monitor when its regarding watching HD BLURAY movies and playing PC games with the best possible picture. TN panels are fast but look like crap. MVA panels have some drawbacks, H-IPS has the best picture for photographs. what i'm getting at is in general, what monitor has the best picture and response time for playing HD Bluray movies and also playing PC games. i still dont have a direct answer to this question. there is a monitor out there that fits my description but people are keeping silence on it.

If all you want to do is play games and watch Blue-Ray movies then buy a large flat pannel TV. Trying to view Blue-Ray on a computer monitor is a wast of time, because they are not big enough and the contrast ratio is too low. A TV will cost a little more, but it would be a better investment for what you want to do.

And yes that is my opinion.

Best of luck

Dave

If all you want to do is play games and watch Blue-Ray movies then buy a large flat pannel TV. Trying to view Blue-Ray on a computer monitor is a wast of time, because they are not big enough and the contrast ratio is too low. A TV will cost a little more, but it would be a better investment for what you want to do.

And yes that is my opinion.

Best of luck

Dave

a large flat panel tv cant play video games at 1920x1200 and i use my computer monitor for surfing the internet and downloading HD movies and clips and looking at nice pictures. LCD tv's can't do this like a computer monitor at high resolution. the highest LCD tv resolution is 1920x1080. PC monitors go to a cripsy clear and vibrant 1920x1200

Draziom,

I would think if there was a _best_ monitor for what you wanted, then someone would have answered by now. Monitors seem to be a very subjective item. What works fine for someone, someone else doesn't like. For example, the Planar... it seems very popular in this forum, but you found a review that doesn't score it well. Same thing with the Soyo 24" monitor, people here like it, but Anandtech gives it a 5/10. This is going to be the case for any LCD monitor. Perhaps in the future some company will come out with a perfect monitor, but it's not out there today.

I think the best advice that you have been given is to go to a local store like a Best Buy, and just look at the monitors and find one that you like. If you find one that you like, see if the salesperson will let you try it out with a game, or watch a Blu-ray movie on it.

a large flat panel tv cant play video games at 1920x1200 and i use my computer monitor for surfing the internet and downloading HD movies and clips and looking at nice pictures. LCD tv's can't do this like a computer monitor at high resolution. the highest LCD tv resolution is 1920x1080. PC monitors go to a cripsy clear and vibrant 1920x1200

OK; now you are giving us additional info. Based on that you need a TV and a computer monitor. The TV for Movies and the monitor for everything else. A computer monitor just does not cut it for movies. What are you gonna do sit at your desk and watch it? Trying to do it all with one LCD doesn't make sense to me. Of course that is just my opinion.

I would not worry about that one review; when you research this stuff you will always find decenting opinions. Read through the entire Planner 26" thread, look at any pics provided by others and make your decision based on that. I have found that so called pro reviewrs are not as good as the real world reviews you get in these forums.

With regard to big box stores; the problem is that they generally do not carry high end stuff and that is what you are looking for. I suggest you buy what looks best for you from a vendor with a liberal return policy, like Amazone or Dell. Then if you are not satisified with it you can return it and get something else. If this sounds like a lot of hassel, (and it is) sorry, but that is what it takes these days.

Do go to as many big box stores as possable. You will learn a lot, and you may get lucky and find something you like. Check out Costco They carry most of the Dell line and have an unreal return policy.

Most importantly; CHECK THE RETURN POLICY BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING.

I suspect you would be OK with the planner, espically if you are into fast action games.

Best of luck

Dave

OK; now you are giving us additional info. Based on that you need a TV and a computer monitor. The TV for Movies and the monitor for everything else. A computer monitor just does not cut it for movies. What are you gonna do sit at your desk and watch it? Trying to do it all with one LCD doesn't make sense to me. Of course that is just my opinion.

I would not worry about that one review; when you research this stuff you will always find decenting opinions. Read through the entire Planner 26" thread, look at any pics provided by others and make your decision based on that. I have found that so called pro reviewrs are not as good as the real world reviews you get in these forums.

With regard to big box stores; the problem is that they generally do not carry high end stuff and that is what you are looking for. I suggest you buy what looks best for you from a vendor with a liberal return policy, like Amazone or Dell. Then if you are not satisified with it you can return it and get something else. If this sounds like a lot of hassel, (and it is) sorry, but that is what it takes these days.

Do go to as many big box stores as possable. You will learn a lot, and you may get lucky and find something you like. Check out Costco They carry most of the Dell line and have an unreal return policy.

Most importantly; CHECK THE RETURN POLICY BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING.

I suspect you would be OK with the planner, espically if you are into fast action games.

Best of luck

Dave
well said, this is what i wanted to hear in depth and with substance. with good reviews on the planar on this board and its fast response time and good high end H-IPS panel makes this monitor more calibrated and balanced than any others in its size. what i wanted to hear specifically is WHAT MONITOR IN THE 24-26 RANGE IS THE MOST BALANCED FOR MY USE AND BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

desktop LCD monitors with HDCP and high resolution would make 1080p movies look BETTER than any LCD or plasma TV.

WHAT MONITOR IN THE 24-26 RANGE IS THE MOST BALANCED FOR MY USE AND BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

We can only provide information to help you make the decision for you, because THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT ANSWER and WE CAN NOT KNOW exactly how YOU PERSONALLY RATE different factors. All we can do is say which work best for us. If a majority of the posters expressing similar weightings to you focus on one display that's probably the one that will make you happiest. IF they split evenly or very fiew appear to endorse your prefered priorities your options are to either take a guess and hope it's right or buy several and return the ones you don't like. NO NUMBER OF 'TELL ME WHAT IS BEST FOR ME' POSTS CAN CHANGE THIS SIMPLE FACT! What they can do is get enough people mad at you that your posts become completely ignored by everyone who has reasonable ammounts of knowlege on the subject. At this point, you're dangerously close to, if not already across, that threshhold for a number pf people here.

If you find the image quality of a TN or VA panel acceptable they provide a much better bang for the buck than IPS beacuse they're significantly cheaper.

Within 24-26" panels, if your primary use is watching HD movies or console a TV is the best option because they can provide a native 1920x1080 resolution. Most larger LCD TVs are TN/VA panels because in most cases where people sit to watch a TV isn't far enough to the sides for viewing angle to be a major issue, and in large formats plasma is cheaper than IPS.

Within 24-26" IPS panels for gaming/movies the Planar 2611 is the clear winner because it's the only option without significant input lag. The NEC monitors are the best choices for gfx work because they have more consistant backlighting and better color correction due to the internal 12 bit implementation. Converting the 8bit intput into 12bit valeus for the panel is the source of the input lag. There may be TN/VA panels with better backlighting and low input lag, I'm not a fan of either type and haven't paid much attention to them. The IIRC NEC 2 digital and 1 analog inputs to the planars 1 of each, so if you need to connect 3 devices to the latter you'd need to spend extra for a stand alone input switch.

desktop LCD monitors with HDCP and high resolution would make 1080p movies look BETTER than any LCD or plasma TV.

No they won't. Going above 1080p will provide absolutely nothing to enhance the image quality. A good >1080p monitor will look better than a cheap 1080p TV but that's an artifact of the better quality of the monitor not the fact that is isn't a TV. A good 1080p or better display of any type will look better than any 720p display. This is a factor of the higher resolution only. When comparing a cheap 1080 to a good 720 display the relative quality and what you subjectively find worse will be the determining factors. Size and use also play a role here. At normal TV viewing distances the difference between 720 and 1080 is smaller than the human eye can resolve below about 40 diagonal inches.

We can only provide information to help you make the decision for you, because THERE IS NO ONE RIGHT ANSWER and WE CAN NOT KNOW exactly how YOU PERSONALLY RATE different factors. All we can do is say which work best for us. If a majority of the posters expressing similar weightings to you focus on one display that's probably the one that will make you happiest. IF they split evenly or very fiew appear to endorse your prefered priorities your options are to either take a guess and hope it's right or buy several and return the ones you don't like. NO NUMBER OF 'TELL ME WHAT IS BEST FOR ME' POSTS CAN CHANGE THIS SIMPLE FACT! What they can do is get enough people mad at you that your posts become completely ignored by everyone who has reasonable ammounts of knowlege on the subject. At this point, you're dangerously close to, if not already across, that threshhold for a number pf people here.

If you find the image quality of a TN or VA panel acceptable they provide a much better bang for the buck than IPS beacuse they're significantly cheaper.

Within 24-26" panels, if your primary use is watching HD movies or console a TV is the best option because they can provide a native 1920x1080 resolution. Most larger LCD TVs are TN/VA panels because in most cases where people sit to watch a TV isn't far enough to the sides for viewing angle to be a major issue, and in large formats plasma is cheaper than IPS.

Within 24-26" IPS panels for gaming/movies the Planar 2611 is the clear winner because it's the only option without significant input lag.The NEC monitors are the best choices for gfx work because they have more consistant backlighting and better color correction due to the internal 12 bit implementation. Converting the 8bit intput into 12bit valeus for the panel is the source of the input lag. There may be TN/VA panels with better backlighting and low input lag, I'm not a fan of either type and haven't paid much attention to them. The IIRC NEC 2 digital and 1 analog inputs to the planars 1 of each, so if you need to connect 3 devices to the latter you'd need to spend extra for a stand alone input switch.

No they won't. Going above 1080p will provide absolutely nothing to enhance the image quality. A good >1080p monitor will look better than a cheap 1080p TV but that's an artifact of the better quality of the monitor not the fact that is isn't a TV. A good 1080p or better display of any type will look better than any 720p display. This is a factor of the higher resolution only. When comparing a cheap 1080 to a good 720 display the relative quality and what you subjectively find worse will be the determining factors. Size and use also play a role here. At normal TV viewing distances the difference between 720 and 1080 is smaller than the human eye can resolve below about 40 diagonal inches.
amen thank you. this is a direct answer to my question. FINALLY someone with a brain and some intelligence. this is what i wanted to hear. FINALLY god damn it i get an intelligent answer that is direct and clear. holy shit jesus christ what it takes for some people to answer a question intelligently.

thank you DanNeely i appreciate your intelligent direct post. now my question is answered. finally.

why is that?

Because movies are recorded in 1920 by 1080 resolution. No matter what you play them on you are still limited to that resolution. When you play a movie on a display that is capibable of higher resolution, it has to do one of two things either use 1 to 1 pixel mapping which turns off the additional pixels outside a 1920 by 1080 window on your pannel, or the display has to use a video processor to rescale it to the higher resolution of the screen. The rescaling process can not add info that was never recorded in the first place, so it has to interpolate between the orignal samples. Interpolation is like taking an average; it does not improve the image quality. If anything it makes it slightly worse.

A big flat screen has other advantages over a computer monitor as well. They have a much higher contrast ratio. Usually, but not always a faster pixel response time and larger physical size. When you spread the pixels out, it is easier for your eye to detect all of them.

Also movies are actually recorded in a format known as 1080p24 which can only be displayed on a 120Hz screen. Some of the newer LCD TVs have this feature and computer monitors do not.

All of these differences are small except contrast ratio, it is one of if not the most important specs for picture quality.

I hope this helps

Dave

Because movies are recorded in 1920 by 1080 resolution. No matter what you play them on you are still limited to that resolution. When you play a movie on a display that is capibable of higher resolution, it has to do one of two things either use 1 to 1 pixel mapping which turns off the additional pixels outside a 1920 by 1080 window on your pannel, or the display has to use a video processor to rescale it to the higher resolution of the screen. The rescaling process can not add info that was never recorded in the first place, so it has to interpolate between the orignal samples. Interpolation is like taking an average; it does not improve the image quality. If anything it makes it slightly worse.

A big flat screen has other advantages over a computer monitor as well. They have a much higher contrast ratio. Usually, but not always a faster pixel response time and larger physical size. When you spread the pixels out, it is easier for your eye to detect all of them.

Also movies are actually recorded in a format known as 1080p24 which can only be displayed on a 120Hz screen. Some of the newer LCD TVs have this feature and computer monitors do not.

All of these differences are small except contrast ratio, it is one of if not the most important specs for picture quality.

I hope this helps

Dave
Hi well said. But if i can slide the resolution down a notch from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 manually, wouldn't the picture quality be the same as a LCD t.v? (aspect ratio aside on the computer monitor) i mean more in terms of picture quality compared to a LCD TV.

Hi well said. But if i can slide the resolution down a notch from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 manually, wouldn't the picture quality be the same as a LCD t.v? (aspect ratio aside on the computer monitor) i mean more in terms of picture quality compared to a LCD TV.

It depends on the TV. The LCD your are looking at, should be as good or better than most of them. A top end LCD or Plasma would be better, but they start at about $2500.00, so it is not really a fair comparison. Big screen LCD TVs have come a long way in the past two years, but they are still too expensive.

I think you will be happy with your new display.

Best of luck

Dave

It depends on the TV. The LCD your are looking at, should be as good or better than most of them. A top end LCD or Plasma would be better, but they start at about $2500.00, so it is not really a fair comparison. Big screen LCD TVs have come a long way in the past two years, but they are still too expensive.

I think you will be happy with your new display.

Best of luck

Dave

Thanks for the reply and info.

I think you got your answer. When it comes to H-IPS its a pretty short list and if you want limited lag, then its even shorter (internal LUTs add lag, scaler chips add lag).

As for the review, Extreme Tech should refrain even doing monitor reviews until they actually develop a serious system of tests. As they are they are simply subjective. I would actually rank their reviews below CNET.:eek:

You should post after you get it.

By the way, if you are already resorting to using bold, all caps and large fonts, as a new user, its not a good way to make friends or get help.;)

ok i thought this out well, and i decided i will keep my Samsung 245BW for gaming and i want to pick a monitor for best possible picture for Bluray HD 1080P movies. i'm either gonna buy the NEC LCD2490WUXi or the NEC LCD2690WUXi. which is better for HDCP Bluray 1080P movies with best possible picture. (no gaming)

thanks.

Back