Introducing Hulu Plus for $9.99

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hulu has finally took the wraps off its subscription service (sorta). I’m not sure how many of you will pay $9.99 a month for an “ad-supported” service but you never know, there might be a market for this. Hit the link for the full scoop and/or to request an invitation.

Hulu Plus is not a replacement for Hulu.com. Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription product that is incremental and complementary to the existing Hulu service. For almost all of the current broadcast shows on our service, Hulu Plus offers the full season. Every single episode of the current season will be available, not just a handful of trailing episodes.

Wow...only the current season?

This is a horrible business plan on their part. I thought it sounded OK if the entire back catalog of the show was going to be available, but just the current season? They already offer the last 5 episodes, so how useful is this honestly?

And the fact that they're still having ads displayed? Get out. Seriously hulu, get out.

Although I could do without the ads, I see the appeal of this. I hardly ever watch shows live and some shows I save for the DVDs/Netflix which lately I have been streaming more and more. Watching past seasons of a show is attractive to me for $$ but I already spend that money on Netflix.

Edit: What? Only the current season? Are they insane? I though by past episodes they meant all.

Edit: What? Only the current season? Are they insane? I though by past episodes they meant all.

Yep, thats what most people thought...but they specifically say only the current season. That means it doesnt even begin to have value until at least week 6..and it's very marginal at that.

Pay to see ads? No thx.
Pay to only see the current season? No thx.

I'm sure this is gonna compete real well with the HD, add-free, no-cost, no-limitations options that currently exists.

Ads? Check
Current season only? Check
For *only* $10/month? LOL

Really, Hulu? Really?

What's that in the future, a massive flop?

Paying money for ads and only the current season? And it's the same cost as a basic Netflix subscription? Pass.

OK, Ok, what am I missing here...

"Ad suppoted" and "Subscription" service in the same sentence?!? Where do I sign up to PAY for you to show me ads?

Can I haz 10 pleeze?

I'll stick to my hulu for current shows and netflix for anything older, Netflix does have some shows I watch as they come along which is nice too, and I hope they get more.

RTFA people. Its current season for ALL shows on the site currently and for a number of shows it will be their entire run. Gotta love how people comment on shit before reading more than the quote. Stop being lazy.

That being said, $10 for an ad supported service? No thank you. Its nice that they're going to do 720p streaming. Sucks that they are limiting iPad, iPhone, iPod, and TV/Blu -Ray support to subscribers though. Also sounds like they're going to charge for the application to do it. If it wasn't for the ads I might consider it.

They'll have to seriously beef up their catalog of shows and movies to make this work. Netflix has a huge selection and it's cheaper. The only thing it's missing is the current seasons of most shows. It is also Ad FREE.

While this might have potential for some. I dunno who that some are. I dunno if Hulu even knows who that is.

Frankly, there's only 1 TV show I watch when its on, and thats Southland on TNT. Other than that, TV could be dead for all I care, I wouldn't even realize it.

Southland is an awesome show if you never seen it. The actors are awesome and the show is gritty and raw. If you love a good cop show, there's none better than it, it pretty well flew under the radar one it moved to TNT. It got resigned for a 3rd season starting Jan 2011, and its the only thing I'm anxious to see.

Usenet is still win.

And as for paying for ad-supported blah blah...people do that already with cable and satellite subscriptions.

In fact, 15 Minutes per hour are what's allowed here in Canada.

I don't mind the ads when I'm watching the broadcast over the air. But to pay AND be forced to watch ads...makes me giggle every time.

RTFA people. Its current season for ALL shows on the site currently and for a number of shows it will be their entire run. Gotta love how people comment on shit before reading more than the quote. Stop being lazy.

That being said, $10 for an ad supported service? No thank you. Its nice that they're going to do 720p streaming. Sucks that they are limiting iPad, iPhone, iPod, and TV/Blu -Ray support to subscribers though. Also sounds like they're going to charge for the application to do it. If it wasn't for the ads I might consider it.

THE ARTICLE said:
For almost all of the current broadcast shows on our service, Hulu Plus offers the full season. Every single episode of the current season will be available, not just a handful of trailing episodes. ...

As a Hulu Plus subscriber, you’ll now also have access to back seasons or full runs of some of TV’s greatest shows. All nine seasons of The X-Files. All three seasons of Arrested Development. Ten seasons of Law and Order: SVU. All five seasons of Ally McBeal. Seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and three seasons of Roswell. Every episode ever of Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. Classic skits from the first five and most recent five seasons of Saturday Night Live. The list goes on.

You get all seasons for some shows, the full current season for almost all shows. If the customer is paying $10/month AND having to sit through ads, why not make all shows available?

This is a horrible business plan on their part. I thought it sounded OK if the entire back catalog of the show was going to be available, but just the current season? They already offer the last 5 episodes, so how useful is this honestly?

And the fact that they're still having ads displayed? Get out. Seriously hulu, get out.

As a Hulu Plus subscriber, you’ll now also have access to back seasons or full runs of some of TV’s greatest shows. All nine seasons of The X-Files. All three seasons of Arrested Development. Ten seasons of Law and Order: SVU. All five seasons of Ally McBeal. Seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and three seasons of Roswell. Every episode ever of Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. Classic skits from the first five and most recent five seasons of Saturday Night Live. The list goes on. This is all on top of hundreds of shows already on Hulu.com today. It’s a treasure chest in the cloud for TV lovers.

This is all that I see :(

hulusucks.jpg

I don't like the ads, but I do like the enhancements. I just might pay for it. If they offer an ad free service for $25-30 a month, and they get more shows, I may give up my satellite service for that. They need to get current Top Gear and Doctor Who episodes before I completely give up on satellite.

as for paying for ad supported content, I already do that with satellite tv, and I pay $95/month for it with DVR and HD on one tv. $25-30 for hulu plus plus and $10 for netflix would be a good deal, and I wouldn't be dealing with as many commercials.

Pay to see ads? No thx.
Pay to only see the current season? No thx.

Fact of the matter is if you subscribe to satellite or cable you already pay to watch ads and current seasons. LOL

The only Live TV I really care about is sports. That's why I still have cable. If this Xbox Live ESPN thing turns out well, I'm ditching cable all together. Netflix+ESPN would have me covered.

I love my subscription service. It's called Usenet.
Exactly. Like or not, Hulu needs to compete with Usenet. If they offered unlimited DRM-free downloads for $10 a month in a totally easy-to-use way, they might actually have a shot.

Some of these content providers get so pissy that they aren't competitive with the illegal methods when they clearly don't even try. Rather then genuinely competing, they figure the best way to go is to rely on all the suckers out there who're going to pay $10 a month for practically nothing and hope it amounts to something.

Exactly. Like or not, Hulu needs to compete with Usenet. If they offered unlimited DRM-free downloads for $10 a month in a totally easy-to-use way, they might actually have a shot.

Some of these content providers get so pissy that they aren't competitive with the illegal methods when they clearly don't even try. Rather then genuinely competing, they figure the best way to go is to rely on all the suckers out there who're going to pay $10 a month for practically nothing and hope it amounts to something.

No, Hulu does not need to compete with Usenet at all. Hulu is directed at a general audience. It is a completely different market segment. Look at their press release, it's all about how "it's TOO HARD to connect your computer to your TV, so now you can use our Hulu service on certain devices, etc."

This is for a completely difference audience than one that knows how to use usenet or is even aware of it's existence.

Steaming instant viewing of entire seasons is also a very different thing from queing up rars for hours (even @ 15MBPS) to download entire seasons of shows. Many people don't rewatch or store shows. They just want to watch something and with Hulu you can pick an episode and go watch it right away.

10$ a month is kinda steep...$5? yeah maybe....about the cost of an XBL gold account but with more use (in my case).

Paying money for ads and only the current season? And it's the same cost as a basic Netflix subscription? Pass.

Actually, slightly MORE than the base Netflix subscription !

Ten bucks a month to see ads I already see on TV that reduce the half hour time slot to 11-18 minutes of actual TV show content? No thank you.

I'd rather buy the boxsets. At least I can still skip past anything I don't want to see (like the SHOW INTRO that everyone should know by heart by the 3rd season!)

Indeed... ads and only the current season... what a bunch of fail. I thought it was going to have the entire series as well.

Hmm,. just looked at it... seems like tehy do have full series... of some stuff, and current of some others.

Still sucks. Only positive I see about it is the fact that you can stream it to iphone or whatever else you got.

Yeah, people are going to go for that.

You have noticed the absurd amount of money people dump on iTunes right? I think this is almost specifically for the iPhone/pad users. They'll pay for anything because it gives Jobs-o-tron more power i think. Sheoples I think they call them

NBC=broadcast=free
ABC=broadcast=free
FOX=broadcast=free

ice to eskimos

Back