InWin HTPC Case at eBuyer.com $29.99 w/ FREE SHIPPING!

I have built over 100 systems in a very similar Inwin case. It really isn't that good (but it's small and thats what the customer wants).

-The power supply doesn't move much air, and the rear fan is 60mm and not quiet, but not loud either.
-The way the cdrom mounts, it very often covers a portion of the cpu fan (depending on board of course).
-The systems I have built with precott-based cpu's (even celeron-d) run very warm..the cpu fan spins to full speed, aka loud, under load.
-There isnt much room to run cables to the hd ...and sata cables just bump into the power supply and have to be bent funny.
-Plenty of room for video cards though.

I wonder if I can go and pick it up. My work is about 1 mile away from their warehouse in Chandler.

I almost ordered but I've got a Celeron-D and it's for a PVR which needs to be quiet. For those that have the CD hanging over the CPU heatsink/fan -- some CD/DVD drives are shorter than normal by about 3/4 - 1 inch. I don't recall which in particular but some googling should get results.

cmv said:
I almost ordered but I've got a Celeron-D and it's for a PVR which needs to be quiet. For those that have the CD hanging over the CPU heatsink/fan -- some CD/DVD drives are shorter than normal by about 3/4 - 1 inch. I don't recall which in particular but some googling should get results.
Lite-on drives are known to be shorter.

starbuck8968 said:
I wonder if I can go and pick it up. My work is about 1 mile away from their warehouse in Chandler.

off topic - my fiance grew up in Chandler AZ!

I have this, and let me tell you, this thing is LOUD for me. I've got an Antec Sonata II next to it, with case/CPU fans set on "medium", and this little Inwin case is almost twice as loud. I'm using a Duron 1.8Ghz CPU with an Athlon XP retail heatsink/fan, and I'm pretty sure the noise is all from the power supply.

The sad part is that in my Sonata II, I've got an Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.5GHz - and this little Inwin is that much louder. :(

Lite-on doesn't cover the HSF in mine. That said, I had to replace the 60mm fan with a panaflo and a rpm controller to cut the noise. The PSU can't really be heard, but now that I've cut the noise from the exhaust fan, the HSF fan is pretty annoying.

There's a grate just above the cpu that allows fresh air to come in if you've got your hsf blowing down accross the cpu. This also allows the fan's noise out of the case. If you place the machine next to your monitor, it's not too distracting, but it's no where near silent.

Also, as others have stated, the compact nature doesn't allow for much airflow so exepect high temps.

i havent got mine yet, you might be able to just ditch all the fans an cut a few holes and put in 120mm fans running on 5v, did that in my full tower inwin and the thing is damn quiet now.

of course there might not be enough room.

my normal size DVDR (Pioneer DVDA02) covered half of the HSF.. after looking at the CPU there was some stupid Plastic moulding used to mount the Fan onto the Heatsink, once i took that off and just direct mounted the fan there was plenty of room. I gained probably 1/4" just from removing the uneeded plastic mount..

as far as i can tell, even under full load the temps are well within specs, no lockups and noproblems at all

as a note i even disabled the small fan on the case for the noise without a real change in temps..

if you were really worried about it you could easily just mount the Fan on the side of the Heatsink instead on the top.. but then again, if you are really worried about heat you don't buy this case.

Back