iOS 4.2.1 official drops today

It's out for the iPad right now, anybody know what the delay for the iPhone is?

The iPhone update is released in a few hours apparently, it is today, just a slight delay.

Apparently "Find My iPhone" service will be free now for iphone 4 and ipad users now.

I'm seriously thinking about trying it out. Hopefully it re-bricks my 3G (like, totally well and truly fucks it) and I can get a free one outta apple til I get the cash for my new phone.

I'm seriously thinking about trying it out. Hopefully it re-bricks my 3G (like, totally well and truly fucks it) and I can get a free one outta apple til I get the cash for my new phone.

Thought I read that 4.2 was supposed to help 3g performance issues.

Also, FINALLY started updating. Hurrah.

It's going to take a damn hour to download this fucking thing...

Running it, updated from a 4.1+jb phone, don't care about unlock but will re-jb to get TetherMe and my text message tone back, otherwise I'm content with the stock Apple IPSW's these days and have been for a while.

I also set up Find My iPhone with the updated App and my Apple ID, I was previously a mobileme subscriber (1-year worth) but did not resubscribe as Google released exchange support for gmail.

Screwed my phone up, doing a restore now...

What did it do to your phone? I don't want my phone totally bricked, just "still fucked" when I take it to the apple store at Tyson's Corner and tell em "Hey dickweeds, I've tried all your OS's and nothing works, give me a functional fucking phone." Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to say.:cool:

Thought I read that 4.2 was supposed to help 3g performance issues.

Also, FINALLY started updating. Hurrah.

Don't know, never tried, planned on having a new phone by now. Alas, job no pay me, I no workee for free, therefore, no funds for new phone yet:(

Stuck in DFU mode, still trying a restore but it doesn't seem to be working.

I don't want my phone totally bricked, just "still fucked" when I take it to the apple store at Tyson's Corner and tell em "Hey dickweeds, I've tried all your OS's and nothing works, give me a functional fucking phone."
Is your phone under warranty? If not, you're going to be walking out of there with the same phone you walked in with.

Is your phone under warranty? If not, you're going to be walking out of there with the same phone you walked in with.

No it's not, and yeah that's what I figured. I won't be walking out with an iphone 4, which is their catch-all solution to anything these days:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well mine downloaded in about 5 minutes tops, updated perfectly fine and it has speeded up my 3G!! :) wooo!

Well mine downloaded in about 5 minutes tops, updated perfectly fine and it has speeded up my 3G!! :) wooo!

Yeah, mines a 4, but still, updated while I was brushing my teeth.

Finally got my phone restored. I was getting a 1604 error. Running a restore from last sync now, hoping that I didn't lose too much.

Got it installed on the iphone 4 and ipad, not a whole lot different on the iphone side except now I have gamecenter and HDR (which were 4.1 features but I had JB'd 4.0.1 before this) I do like being able to search web pages in safari. Finally I have my ipad organized with folders (2 pages now instead of 6 before) and multitasking is nice. I hate that the orientation switch is now a useless mute notifications switch, double click home button, swipe dock, press orientation lock button is not a good replacement for the hard switch at all

had iPad and iPhone updated in less than 15 minutes. I love having a unified mail box on the iPad. Orientation lock bites.

Yay, doing a restore on my ipad to make sure my jailbreak is completely blown away. I heard sometimes a jailbreak can mess up an upgrade so trying to play it safe.

Tinyumbrella was just updated to start saving 4.2.1, if you are even thinking about a future jailbreak you need to run this now and save your 4.1 while it is still being signed. Completely risk free does nothing to your device, just looks at it and requests info from apple to save on your computer for later use.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

The amount of changes in this release, as usual, is much more extensive than Apple will admit or advertise.

Mobile Safari gains Web Sockets, accelerometer support, better HTML5 and JavaScript support, and some WebGL.

Find My iPhone is free for the iPad, iPhone 4, and latest generation iPod Touch.

And a bunch of miscellaneous features, like expanded iTunes rentals and language support.

Anyone else having issues with apps just randomly quitting on you?

Having this happen quite a bit since 4.2.1 update. Find my Iphone (quits, also doesn't remember my apple ID properly) Guitar lick of the day, facebook, twitter, wowarmory, wowauth will just quit (and not appear in the tasks either... annoying)

Back