IP address error

Sobek

2[H]4U
I keep having this window pop up every few minutes. "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."

It"s really starting to piss me off since I can't play TF2 due to it. I have a cable modem and Linksys router with my PC connected via Cat 5 and my wife's laptop via wireless. Her computer is off and I still get this popup. I haven't changed anything recently that I know of. Any Suggestions?

Are you using DHCP?
Have you tried disabling/unplugging wireless when this occurs?
What is the IP address of your computer? Of the laptop? Of the router? Of the access point (if it is separate from the router)? Any networked printers? TCP/IP enabled fridges, WiFi enabled cell phones, or other standalone network devices you might have forgotten about?

DHCP: I don't know. How can I check?

Have you tried disabling/unplugging wireless when this occurs?: Yes

Have you tried disabling/unplugging wireless when this occurs?:
Sortof. I can't remember how to diable wireless on the Lynksys Wireless-G nor do I really want to since it was a PITA to set up and if I mess it up my wife will be without internet till I fix it which can be a pain since we work different shifts from each other. I'm a general networking noob as well. I'm pretty good with most other aspects of the PC, just suck at understanding networking.

Any networked printers? TCP/IP enabled fridges, WiFi enabled cell phones, or other standalone network devices you might have forgotten about?: None. Only my PC and the laptop.

Here is what is showing under my LAN settings:

Physical Address: 00-50-8D-F3-82-93
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 26-Nov-07 11:51:23 PM
Lease Expires: 27-Nov-07 11:51:23 PM
DNS Servers: 204.127.203.135, 216.148.225.135
WINS Server:

edit: Still get the popup with Windows firewall disabled as well.

start run cmd ipconfig (you know the drill) on the other computer

if its running 192.168.1.100 as well then your routers either borked or retarded. You should be able to assign your own IP adresses to the computers in the network on your DHCP (routers) page (open a browser and without a "www." type in "192.168.1.1"

I recommend you to start off at 192.168.1.1. That's the first place where you learn all about networking. 192.168.1.1 is your router's address. Connect to it and try to disable wireless and reboot the router and see if it persists. Find out more information by checking your status in the router's app. Make sure no other machine on LAN is sharing the same IP as yours. Happy hunting. :D

I recommend you to start off at 192.168.1.1. That's the first place where you learn all about networking. 192.168.1.1 is your router's address. Connect to it and try to disable wireless and reboot the router and see if it persists. Find out more information by checking your status in the router's app. Make sure no other machine on LAN is sharing the same IP as yours. Happy hunting. :D

I did this but it has been almost 2 years since I setup my router. I can't remember what my Username and password are and I tried all of my usual ones even the default of admin. I looked through all my saved passwords written down and couldn't find the one for the router. Should I try to reinstall the software? I checked my wife's laptop and it is using the next digit up (192.168.1.101) so that isn't the problem.

I just thought of another idea that may seem likely. It only seems to be happening late at night like around midnight when I get home from work and start using my PC. It hasn't happened the past 2 hours or even yesterday morning. I couldn't get secured wireless working correctly ~2 years ago so I set it up unsecured. The possiblity at the time of anyone nearby using it other than my wife and I was practicly zero due to where we lived. We moved last year and the possibility was still low. My neighbor has some new roomates and I am starting to think that maybe one of them is using my router since they are only about 150ish feet away. Should I try to reinstall the software or re-try setting up as a secured network?

i would try and get into your router and make sure its setup properly. if you dont know the settings, you can always reset it (hold the reset button on the back for like 30 seconds.) but you will lose any settings... port forwards, wireless passphrases, etc... the default settings are usually 192.168.1.1 for the address and the password is admin (no username).. this is for your typical linksys router.

make sure its assigning enough ip addresses (typically its in your dhcp settings... like number of leases or something like that) this might be why you are having trouble since you unsecured your internet.. people may be filling up your leases.. and, since your dhcp "lease" hasnt expired, you get an address of ...100 and then when someone else gets on, they get the same address because it has run out of leases, so it starts back at the beginning, and so you two are fighting over the same address...

you could also disable dhcp altogether and specify addresses for your computers.. this is helpful if you want to do things like use webcams over aim/msn/yahoo or download torrents, or host game servers or whatever... (a whole other "howto")

to do this, you would just simply give your computers ip addresses... in your "network connections" right-click on your LAN connection (or wireless if you have that set up) and go to properties, then InternetProtocl (TCP/IP) and properties again, and then enter all your information.
typcially you will use something like you wrote in your previous post about what you LAN settings were.
all the settings will be the same across the computers on your network except the first one. the IP ADDRESS has to be different...
so, for example..
use 192.168.1.2 as a start (because your router already has 192.168.1.1)
and then your subnet would be 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1
dns: 192.168.1.1

then on your wife's machine, make it 192.168.1.3 and so on...

one thing i absolutely would do, is put wireless security back on... whether it be encryption, or simply only allowing by mac address and putting in yours and your wifes mac addresses as the only ones allowed... it sounds like people are mooching off your internet, and thats not good for anybody when something comes up, because it's your ass that gets in trouble.

Find yourself one of those free NetBios/IP scanners. I use "Advanced IP Scanner" myself.

Scan your entire segment. 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255. It will list any in-use devices it finds. If it is a computer, the NetBios info will tell you the name of the machine.

Man those are some complicated replies. Event Viewer is your friend.

Start -> Run -> eventvwr.

Find the event, it will give the MAC address of the other machine with the same IP. Track it down, and investigate the settings between the two.

I did this but it has been almost 2 years since I setup my router. I can't remember what my Username and password are and I tried all of my usual ones even the default of admin. I looked through all my saved passwords written down and couldn't find the one for the router. Should I try to reinstall the software? I checked my wife's laptop and it is using the next digit up (192.168.1.101) so that isn't the problem.

Sobek, reset the router by pressing a button in the back for five or more seconds. Everything will be reset and default name/password would be there. Secure the router from there.

You don't "reinstall software" on a router (unless you mean firmware :p).

Man those are some complicated replies. Event Viewer is your friend.

Start -> Run -> eventvwr.

Find the event, it will give the MAC address of the other machine with the same IP. Track it down, and investigate the settings between the two.

Good one. :D

Back