iPad battery question

Dome

2[H]4U
does it matter if i recharge this thing before it's battery gets low or is that bad?

actually i have that question about my laptop too. i just got a new laptop and i leave it plugged in all the time. is that good or bad? should i take the battery out when it's plugged in?

does it matter if i recharge this thing before it's battery gets low or is that bad?
Not really. Modern rechargeables don't suffer from the 'memory effect' we dealt with a decade ago. If anything it's better for it as full discharges stress these type of batteries more.

actually i have that question about my laptop too. i just got a new laptop and i leave it plugged in all the time. is that good or bad? should i take the battery out when it's plugged in?

Best to remove the battery, the hot environment and keeping the battery at 100% all the time both shorten lifespan. Or so goes the wisdom, anyway, but I do believe it's likely better for them not to be sitting in a hot environment constantly being top-up charged. Ideally you'd remove it at 40% charge, but I think just getting it out of the heat probably makes the biggest difference.

I'll go home and pull the battery then, though with my luck I'll probably lose it.

You don't need to pull the battery. Most modern notebooks will either trickle charge the battery or typically, they'll stop charging at 100% and when the battery starts to discharge on it's own and drops to 95% or so then it will start the charging circuit back up to top it off. My MacBook Pro used to take a week or so to drop back to 95% and then it would top up again.

This is actually better for a Lithium Ion battery than pulling it as chances are you will forget you pulled it and then run the risk of totally discharging the battery which is bad for Lithium batteries. They like to be topped up instead and you never want to see a Lithium battery go under 20% capacity if possible or you risk damaging the cells. Cheers!

Yeah..don't pull it. These systems are smart..they'll trickle charge the battery to keep it healthy. Plus, with the magsafe no way I'd go without. I bump that thing all the time. I bet you do too and don't even notice it.

Back