iPhone 3.0 OS Guide

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gizmodo claims that its iPhone 3.0 OS Guide contains everything you need to know about the latest OS for the iPhone. While I am not sure if this is “everything” you need to know, it is easily one of the most complete guides out right now. Plus it has pictures...everyone likes pictures…I stole this one.

I may actually buy an iPhone with all those features added.

I heard from a friend of mine that with this new update they are adding loads of popups during games and apps asking to buy this or that extra for $0.99. He isnt a happy Apple fan right now.

I have to admit that I like the idea of shaking your phone to shuffle your music.

I was stoked about the added MMS capability; until they said that it won't work with 1st Gen iPhones.

The HTC Fuze looks sweet. Come August, I will be free from my iPhone!

omg, this is the best update ive ever seen. ugh, and that i just sold my iphone. Well if this comes out, Time to get an iphone again!!

Man, they're catching up with the features offered by other phones..

I was stoked about the added MMS capability; until they said that it won't work with 1st Gen iPhones.

The HTC Fuze looks sweet. Come August, I will be free from my iPhone!

I hated my Fuze for the entire week I had it but that was mostly because Windows Moble sucks and I hate it personally. Yep, even with custom ROMs and tons of tweaks.

I have a 1st gen iPhone that's only used as my alarm clock so maybe I can sell it and get a 3G... and then maybe the new iPhone that'll be out in June/July. 3.0 looks like Apple will finally put it on par with most phones finally. :eek:

cool features, but seriously, for a top of the line phone why haven't they added in true hands free, voice recognition for dialing. even the cheapest phones have some sort of way to voice dial via bluetooth. i'm really surprised this hasn't been added in yet

I hated my Fuze for the entire week I had it but that was mostly because Windows Moble sucks and I hate it personally. Yep, even with custom ROMs and tons of tweaks.

I have a 1st gen iPhone that's only used as my alarm clock so maybe I can sell it and get a 3G... and then maybe the new iPhone that'll be out in June/July. 3.0 looks like Apple will finally put it on par with most phones finally. :eek:

I will be on the other hand and say I love my Fuze. Ive had it since the day it came out and Ive never been happier. 3 people in my family have iPhones and I still like mine better. When I can be anywhere and plug my phone into a computer and click one button and have internet access its completely worth it.

cool features, but seriously, for a top of the line phone why haven't they added in true hands free, voice recognition for dialing. even the cheapest phones have some sort of way to voice dial via bluetooth. i'm really surprised this hasn't been added in yet

It's not a top-of-the-line phone. If it was these features would have been in it already.

I'm going to wait for a 4g iPhone. At this point HTC is going to get my business with the Fuze/Diamond touch pro. It's a much better phone in almost every respect.

I noticed they mentioned Home Screen enhancements, but what exactly are they gearing towards. I was hoping to chnage the styles, hopefully folders or more pages instead of just have 9 pages and 148 apps.

Background isn't being supported to keep battery life decent, but they are rolling out push notifications to get around that for instant messages and the like (this took time because they had to rework their entire server setup to allow the new architecture). Tethering is supported by the OS all along, but it is up to the carrier to allow it, so ATT is the one to blame there (probably can't handle the strain on their network atm).

MMS is being supported and fused with the SMS app, cut and paste being thrown in across the board along with stereo bluetooth (I guess the chip DOES support it!!). This update almost perfects the phone, which I think was purposely done at a later date as a move to boost stocks.

I've been very happy with my iphone so far. My biggest complaints have been lack of Push, Copy/Paste, and Turn by Turn direction. Now I'll have all of those. Tethering is likely being held back by carriers which sucks.

Also, more options with the default mail client would be nice. As it is, I pretty much need to use the mobile gmail web app.

Can't wait for this update.

You'll have to, they are saying this is a summer release, which is anywhere between July and September.

This update essentially takes the majority of customer concerns and complaints and fixes them. Everything from the lack of a landscape keyboard in email and messaging, MMS, cut/copy/paste, enabling stereo bluetooth (which if the chip was included in the 3G iPhone, what excuse is there to disable it?), among including more functionality in finding info on your phone as well as making the SDK more open to developers.

alright, i know this sounds incredibly n00b, but can someone explain the Push feature that they are talking about and why everybody is hyped up about it?

alright, i know this sounds incredibly n00b, but can someone explain the Push feature that they are talking about and why everybody is hyped up about it?

Push notification will allow applications to sit in the background and send you alerts. Example: AIM will only keep you logged in if the program is up and running, this will allow the program to be closed but you can still stay logged in. You will get an alert that you have a message and can reopen the program and start talking.

Other programs can take advantage of this, which will be good.

Wait a second. This 3.0 release isn't coming out in a couple of days?

You'll have to, they are saying this is a summer release, which is anywhere between July and September.

This update essentially takes the majority of customer concerns and complaints and fixes them. Everything from the lack of a landscape keyboard in email and messaging, MMS, cut/copy/paste, enabling stereo bluetooth (which if the chip was included in the 3G iPhone, what excuse is there to disable it?), among including more functionality in finding info on your phone as well as making the SDK more open to developers.

Wait a second. This 3.0 release isn't coming out in a couple of days?

Nope, it is currently released for developers, but the general public will have to wait till "summer." Which means whenever Apple really feels like it, but I would bet it will be in July.

I will be on the other hand and say I love my Fuze. Ive had it since the day it came out and Ive never been happier. 3 people in my family have iPhones and I still like mine better. When I can be anywhere and plug my phone into a computer and click one button and have internet access its completely worth it.

I agree, I own the predecessor phone without the VGA screen (it has a 320x240 one) but love the thing. A relative has the Touch Pro (the normal name for the Fuze) on Verizon and loves it as well. The OS is snappy, has tons of software available, multitasks, and just plain works well. It's like having a mini-computer with you designed to get things done quickly. Also, as you mentioned, being able to use it for tethered net access simply, is great :D.

I agree, I own the predecessor phone without the VGA screen (it has a 320x240 one, HTC Mogul aka XV6800 Verizon) but love the thing. A relative has the Touch Pro (the normal name for the Fuze) on Verizon and loves it as well. The OS is snappy, has tons of software available, multitasks, and just plain works well. It's like having a mini-computer with you designed to get things done quickly. Also, as you mentioned, being able to use it for tethered net access simply, is great :D.

Fixed!

I heard from a friend of mine that with this new update they are adding loads of popups during games and apps asking to buy this or that extra for $0.99. He isnt a happy Apple fan right now.

Probably goes with this part...

"• Purchase additional content for apps, like new cities for a city guide application.
• Purchase additional levels for games.

Basically, this will allow developers to sell more things on top of their apps, and to consumers to expand their experience with those apps.

• This will work straight from the applications, so you can purchase new things through the software itself, even while it still goes through the App Store internally."

NEAT! Apple screws people over yet again! :p

Back