iPhone 4 Broken After One-Foot Drop

Like I said in the previous Gizmodo/iPhone 4 drop test thread, anyone who gets a touch phone should get a protective skin or case for it.

That said, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing these iPhone 4 suckers break their shiny rip-off toys. :cool:

I don't know, the screens are pretty damn hard. I'm more concerned about the non-screen parts, which are way softer.

I bought a shell for my Droid, but I use my car mount a lot and it's too much of a pain to constantly take the shell off. So I use my Droid straight up, screen is perfect, I expect the rest to start showing wear.

the front of the iphone 4 is covered with class. the back of the iphone 4 is covered with glass. glass breaks when it hits the floor? whodathunkit???

You can drop a plate or a bowl and it will shatter. I don't think that means everyone should use tupperware.

I'm still wondering what the point of a pretty sleek phone is if it requires a bulky protective case to keep the smallest of accidents from breaking it.

that's exactly what I was thinking !!

all the ugly cases made for phones..... and all you see is the lcd screen.

the only acceptable semi-protection is the clearbra. at least it's transparent.

who was the genius at apple who thought of using glass on the back?

they should've stuck with plastic, and used that new "self healing" paint tech found on Infiniti cars

this picture still cracks me up

340x.jpg

this picture still cracks me up

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/4/2010/06/33850c0b852716c3beda0ff2b5509bd5/340x.jpg[/IM G][/QUOTE]LOL

I think Elijah was more durable than the iPhone 4.

Man, I'm really surprised that an electronic device coming in contact with the ground at decent speeds breaks. [/sarcasm]

Stephen Fry's notes on the iPhone 4 included this little tidbit about the phone's resilience and the "bumper" case Apple released for it:

"I saw an Apple executive gleefully hurling his bumpered iPhone 4 across the room"

thank you captain obvious

The basic rule that people need to get is this, right up front:

It's not how it falls, nor how far it falls, it's how it actually hits the ground that matters the most.

If it hits at the right angle, it's going to shatter, period. Consider - even in spite of this being a bad analogy on many levels - that humans have been known to fall great distances and land with consider force and yet still walk away "without a scratch" as the saying goes.

But I know of several people that were doing tasks on something as simple as a milk crate - a mere 1 foot tall milk crate - or a short stool not much taller that "fell" off and landed on flat ground and ended up being paralyzed from the neck down, or suffering broken bones, a broken neck in one case that led to their death, etc.

It's not how you fall, it's how you hit the ground when you do fall.

This is really not surprising considering the glass aspects. They can make glass really damned hard to scratch but, it's always going to be capable of shattering when it hits in just the right way. 1 foot, 10 feet, doesn't matter - if the "stars align" and it hits just right, it'll be done for.

Like I said in the previous Gizmodo/iPhone 4 drop test thread, anyone who gets a touch phone should get a protective skin or case for it.

That said, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing these iPhone 4 suckers break their shiny rip-off toys. :cool:

$200 16GB iPhone 4 versus $200 HTC Evo.
What makes the iPhone a ripoff? They're both comparable.

And considering people will need to actually hold the iPhone 4 like this to make it work, the chances of people dropping 'em are gonna increase geometrically:

stevejobsiphone4.jpg

Get ready for Apple to start dropping free bump cases to all registered iPhone 4 owners, too.

Haha that picture is amazing.

I got an iPhone 4 and I love it but it does feel like it would break pretty easily if dropped.

And considering people will need to actually hold the iPhone 4 like this to make it work, the chances of people dropping 'em are gonna increase geometrically:

Actually, the 3G was already drop prone. People in the forums have already commented that they actually drop their iphones a more often than other brands because of the rounded edges and back. The 4G may actually be worse because there's now nothing for you to grip on.

Actually, the 3G was already drop prone. People in the forums have already commented that they actually drop their iphones a more often than other brands because of the rounded edges and back. The 4G may actually be worse because there's now nothing for you to grip on.

I'd 100% agree with that. There's issues with "design over function"... The glass back no exception. I don't understand why the hell they put a glass backing on a device they KNOW gets dropped... It's design over function, simple as that.

You can drop a plate or a bowl and it will shatter. I don't think that means everyone should use tupperware.
No, but it does mean you should be sitting down while using them. It's why they hand out the plastic cups and paper plates at outdoor parties. "No speaking with your apps on, young man! Elbows off the table!"

But I know of several people that were doing tasks on something as simple as a milk crate - a mere 1 foot tall milk crate - or a short stool not much taller that "fell" off and landed on flat ground and ended up being paralyzed from the neck down, or suffering broken bones, a broken neck in one case that led to their death, etc.

So these people's center of mass is located on the soles of their feet?

all the people that like form over function say what?

the front of the iphone 4 is covered with class. the back of the iphone 4 is covered with glass. glass breaks when it hits the floor? whodathunkit???
I have a feeling there's very little class in how the iPhone was made. ;)

2 big differences: Sprint charges less than AT&T for comparable data and voice usage.

And another huge difference: the Evo 4G phone is a real 4G phone. the iPhone 4G is a 3G phone that's falsely labeled as 4G.

And another huge difference: the Evo 4G phone is a real 4G phone. the iPhone 4G is a 3G phone that's falsely labeled as 4G.

I think you may be recalling that name from the rumoured names people were using for it; it is the "iPhone 4", being the 4th iPhone to exist.

2 big differences: Sprint charges less than AT&T for comparable data and voice usage.

All that's true. I agree. But I'm not talking about the plans, I was talking about the devices.

All that's true. I agree. But I'm not talking about the plans, I was talking about the devices.

It's really hard (more like impossible) to get either device for $200 without a plan and provider.

It's really hard (more like impossible) to get either device for $200 without a plan and provider.

I was saying for all the iPhone 4 bashers, it's not that bad. Look at the devices that are getting praise from the bashers (Evo) and there's not that much difference between the two.

It's how we get our phones. Note that the 3GS is still $1,000.00 even now. We're still wondering how much the Iphone4 will cost when we finally get it here.

The Iphone and the EVO are NOT $200 phones. They are $500-$600 phones that are subsidized by your carrier. I had to pay sales tax on the full $600 for my Palm Pre Plus, even though Verizon gave it to me for free.

ITs the FOURTH GENERATION IPHONE, thats why its called iphone 4

ITs the FOURTH GENERATION IPHONE, thats why its called iphone 4

It's the 4th Gen that runs on a 3rd Gen network though.
Considering the iPhone 3G and 3GS naming conventions were named thus specifically for the network designation and not for the generation of the phone (otherwise the 3G should've been the 2G), it's safe to assume Apple follows that convention.
Also the fact that Apple has not named this the 4G, and rather idiots on the internet did that, it all comes down to the shocking conclusion that...

IT'S NOT THE IPHONE 4G!

Yeah. I'm not sure how you still have these problems with the fourth damned release of an incredibly popular product.

Back