iPhone 4 Video Encoder

BillNutz

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I just got my iPhone 4 (finally) and just wondering what you guys use to encode videos for it with the new native resolution.

I'm using Xvid4PSP for some time now on my 3G (and others i.e. PSP, PS3, Xvid/AVI) and it has worked perfectly.
Now I would like to edit the settings so I can encode, with native res, for my new iPhone4.

If this is not possible with Xvid4PSP, then please share what app you are using. Thanks.

I just got mine today as well. For XVID4PSP I tried using the "MP4 Apple TV" format preset and kept the resolution at 1280x720 and it played back fine. The iPhone rescales it to native resolution w/ pretty good quality.

I never used AVS video converter but I see it's over 50MB and it's shareware. Xvid4PSP is free, is a small download, does batch encoding, and as long as you setup CCCP correctly it can encode subtitles on MKVs as well. I used to use it for all my Archos PMP encoding.

Good programs cost money, it's abilities go far beyond the aforementioned. Who in their right mind cares about 50MB? What are you using a 1980's machine.

I just got mine today as well. For XVID4PSP I tried using the "MP4 Apple TV" format preset and kept the resolution at 1280x720 and it played back fine. The iPhone rescales it to native resolution w/ pretty good quality.

This is what I been doing also, I'm using the final build and not the betas...
I'm hoping that there is a setting I can change that will limit the max res to 960x640 to avoid unnecessary space in my iPhone, but this preset does get me by for now.

I think I should've changed my original post to, How to create custom presets for Xvid4PSP for an unsupported device.

Good programs cost money, it's abilities go far beyond the aforementioned. Who in their right mind cares about 50MB? What are you using a 1980's machine.

A commercial product doesn't necessary means it's a better product than a free-to-use one. A software being free is already "good" to begin with, but I digress.

Will AVS video converter allow me to encode for the iPhone 4 native res of 960x640?
Does it have presets or it's something I need to customized?

I know iPhone 4 is new, but the format it plays is not. An existing solution would do if I can find one that I can set the target max res.

Check out the latest unofficial build of XviD4PSP 5 (FCP's unofficial r90 build) it adds a custom option under format that allows setting your own resolution limits to be used as template. There are a few other good mods in his builds, and while the official version 6 of XviD4PSP looks nice, it still has a bit more dev time to go with features and encoding bugs wih certain formats.

AVC is good as a basic and few-click solution but it doesn't come anywhere close to XviD4PSP in total features and control for the encoding nerds out there.

Handbrake is a nice tool as well, but I've never been able to get a good encode out of it without a bunch of tweaking which I didn't do because it doesn't do sub burn-in from embedded subs yet.

Actually I stumbled upon another program that may be even better now. It's called TMPGEnc. If only they had a catchy marketable name it would be more known because this encoding software is pretty impressive. I've only used handbrake once so I don't remember it well, I actually found the quality to size ratio to be very lacking compared to some other programs as I'm sure I'll get hammered here I only used it a couple times and didn't play with it. But I can pretty confidently say as far as customizing this TMPGEnc program could give it a run for it's money if not even be better.

Yeah AVS is fantastic for ease of use with the discreet yet generous ability to customize pretty well. They have a bunch of buttons with all the preset settings of the most popular codecs and players. If they haven't updated with the newest iphone res I'm sure they will soon, though they make it easy for you to just quick customize it to fit such.

In any event, whatever works best for you ;)

Last edited:
Check out the latest unofficial build of XviD4PSP 5 (FCP's unofficial r90 build) it adds a custom option under format that allows setting your own resolution limits to be used as template. There are a few other good mods in his builds, and while the official version 6 of XviD4PSP looks nice, it still has a bit more dev time to go with features and encoding bugs wih certain formats.

AVC is good as a basic and few-click solution but it doesn't come anywhere close to XviD4PSP in total features and control for the encoding nerds out there.

Handbrake is a nice tool as well, but I've never been able to get a good encode out of it without a bunch of tweaking which I didn't do because it doesn't do sub burn-in from embedded subs yet.

Thank you, I'm running Xvid4PSP r132 unofficial and it's doing what I asked for on the OP.
It doesn't have a template for iPhone 4 latest resolution, but I'm now able to change/scale resolution thru the video menu settings.

Handbrake audio output sucks

HandBrake's nightly builds now use even better quality audio encoding - if you're using the "public" 0.9.4 release, it's limited to 160 Kbps AAC but the newer nightly builds go all the way up to 320 Kbps, big difference.

As for "quality" anything over 192 Kbps is overkill for the overwhelming majority of people out there considering we're talking about encoding for a portable device and not a home theater setup.

If you're doing HTPC encodings with HandBrake, you'd just use the pass through feature and leave the 5.1/7.1 soundtrack intact in the resulting encode.

For what it is and what it's capable of, short of using the direct x264 command line encoder, there's nothing out there that's as easy and feature-laden as HandBrake, especially considering it's free.

Lifehacker created some nice presets designed for the iPhone 4's increased resolution which work fantastic, you can find more info here:

http://lifehacker.com/5572037/handbrake-presets-for-your-new-ipad-or-iphone-4

Handbrake iPad preset, RF 21.5, four reference frames, three B-frames, direct prediction set to automatic, motion estimation method set to uneven multihexagaon, motion estimation range set to 24, psychovisual rate distortion trellis .3, maximum horizontal resolution set to 960 pixels.

Back