iPhone 5 & You: What Are You Doing?

Wife and I have the iPhone 4S... The 5 doesn't excite me at all, in fact I don't really care for the new tall-thin look. I'll wait to see what else comes out.

Considering going from my white i4 to a Samsung GS3 OR waiting until December when I can get the i5 for cheaper. They want to rape for me 450, 550, or 650 for the 16, 32, 64GB models, respectively, until I can get them for the "normal" price on December 21.

Never having an Android before though makes me think twice about the GS3.

Considering going from my white i4 to a Samsung GS3 OR waiting until December when I can get the i5 for cheaper. They want to rape for me 450, 550, or 650 for the 16, 32, 64GB models, respectively, until I can get them for the "normal" price on December 21.

Never having an Android before though makes me think twice about the GS3.

You don't need to worry about it...the GS3 is a nice phone. Eye candy. But the ip5 will be also. Just take your pick and pony up! :)

Going from my ancient 3GS to a Galaxy S3. Extra bonus is my work finally approved me getting a company phone... so I don't even have to pay for it :) :) :)

My wife is going from an ATT Fuze to the iPhone 5 (pre-ordered). This will be a big leap from her and she wanted the iPhone because it is "not as wide" and IOS is just about as easy as it gets for a smartphone OS.

That is still an assumption made by Anand based upon his best guess. The truth is we don't know if its an A15, A9 overclocked/quad, or a custom chip.

Anand and Ars have put out guesses based upon die size and supposed speed increases. The truth is, (like Anand also states) is that we're not really going to know until someone gets their hands on the hardware.

That is still an assumption made by Anand based upon his best guess. The truth is we don't know if its an A15, A9 overclocked/quad, or a custom chip.

Anand and Ars have put out guesses based upon die size and supposed speed increases. The truth is, (like Anand also states) is that we're not really going to know until someone gets their hands on the hardware.

Apple stated in their video its a custom designed chip.

Right, which still doesn't tell us what Arm processor it's based off of, or instruction set or really anything about it in general. My point remains that every thing said is at best an educated guess, and we won't know what is under the hood until someone gets their hands on it.

No voice and data at the same time on Verizon over LTE, but you can over WiFi as the iPhone 5 only has a single LTE antenna. That would be a BIG killer for me as I don't know how many times I've needed too look up something while I'm on a phone call.

And there's NO WAY I'd go back to ATT. I paid over $600 to get out of my contract. Their coverage at my work is awesome at 20-80 Kb/s on 4G. They just can't handle the high number of phones in such a small area. Verizon gives me 5-6 Mb/s on LTE while at work

No hard to have a tablet, laptop, or pc with you while on the phone. Quite easy in my world.

Right, which still doesn't tell us what Arm processor it's based off of, or instruction set or really anything about it in general. My point remains that every thing said is at best an educated guess, and we won't know what is under the hood until someone gets their hands on it.

Why does it matter?

Why does it matter?

Well... follow the thread, I'm simply responding to crankypsp. If you don't care about the architecture of the phone, then I suppose it doesn't matter at all. Then again, relative to the self, it doesn't really matter if anyone else is buying the iPhone 5 or not. But we're in here discussing things like this because we find it interesting. Not sure what else I can say, other than getting more pretentious by giving the definition of the word "forum." :confused:

Why does it matter?

Seems like quite a retarded question to ask considering this is [H]ardForum. We love knowing how things work, how fast, etc etc.

I don't know how many of you guys are "Car guys" but any car guy buying a car is going to want to at least know what type of engine, how many cylinders, power and torque figures. If I'm in the market to buy and I ask a salesmen "what type of engine does it have under the hood" and his reply is "well it's a magical custom designed engine that's sure to provide you with what's necessary" I'd laugh in his face and take my $50,000 dollars elsewhere.

I don't understand the bitching about "not being able to use 4G while talking." I've seen the AT&T commercial and frankly I think it's silly to make that a deciding factor. Unless you're stuck at a bus stop with an iPhone 5 on AT&T and your boyfriend/girlfriend is boring you to death so you browse the web as they yap on speaker/headset I don't see a useful scenario for it. You could argue the subway though in New York I couldn't get a 3G connection to save my life (I could barely use voice when underground.)

If I"m working and require data while talking I break out the tablet/Notebook as I work while talking. In this scenario I have wifi/ethernet available. That whole "Talk and Browse" hoopla just feels so irrelevant to me. I can understand a brownie point after you've made a decision but that's it. I know this is no way reflective and spotty at best but I've yet to see anyone on AT&T care about that feature.

Unless you're one of those people who never puts the phone down (or shut the fuck up. I hate you, you know who you are.)

I don't understand the bitching about "not being able to use 4G while talking." I've seen the AT&T commercial and frankly I think it's silly to make that a deciding factor. Unless you're stuck at a bus stop with an iPhone 5 on AT&T and your boyfriend/girlfriend is boring you to death so you browse the web as they yap on speaker/headset I don't see a useful scenario for it. You could argue the subway though in New York I couldn't get a 3G connection to save my life (I could barely use voice when underground.)

If I"m working and require data while talking I break out the tablet/Notebook as I work while talking. In this scenario I have wifi/ethernet available. That whole "Talk and Browse" hoopla just feels so irrelevant to me. I can understand a brownie point after you've made a decision but that's it. I know this is no way reflective and spotty at best but I've yet to see anyone on AT&T care about that feature.

Unless you're one of those people who never puts the phone down (or shut the fuck up. I hate you, you know who you are.)

I've had scenarios where I'm on the phone with someone and I need to reference something, or look at a map, so the talk + data comes in handy. I.E. I'm talking to an insurance company and I forgot my card, but I have the data in evernote, so I ask them to hold on so I can pull up evernote and find the data.

I got my 4S in Feb of this year. I want to upgrade to the 5 mainly cause of the increased screen size. (had a samsung galaxy before the iPhone and I loved the screen size). There are some people at work that are getting theirs on the 21st so I think I'm gonna wait to see how good the screen looks before dishing out retail price for the phone.

i got an iphone 4 out of contract and i'm upgrading to an iphone5.

I don't understand the bitching about "not being able to use 4G while talking." I've seen the AT&T commercial and frankly I think it's silly to make that a deciding factor.

I hated not having the ability to use data and phone service when using the iPhone 1G back in the day. Missed calls due to data use, or having to hang up to access the data network - a real PITA.

Its a factor among many - nothing more / less.

I use the feature to access Maps or Urban Spoon while using the phone - beats telling the person on the other end that you will call them back in 10 seconds while you ascertain your location or determine a place nearby to eat.

I can also have my laptop tethered to my phone AND use it while engaged in a phone call. But I guess you can continue to think WiFi is everywhere.,,it's not.

I have been engaged in far too many calls where I have needed to look up something and, guess what, I can. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what they were getting into.

It's a HUGE missing feature and only someone blindly in love with Apple would see it as "it's not that important."

Last edited:
Yeah, while I don't use it all the time, data and voice at the same time is a pretty big deal IMO. Plus, if you can't do voice and data at the same time, how would you tether and recieve phone calls?

Personally, I've used it a handful of times to look up and purchase movie tickets while talking to my wife, or looking up directions to a restaurant while talking to the friends we were going to meet there. Probably only used voice and data at the same time maybe 1 or 2 dozen times over 3 years... but I know the option is there and would not want to lose it when changing carriers or upgrading phones...

It's a HUGE missing feature and only someone blindly in love with Apple would see it as "it's not that important."

Alternatively, for folks like me coming from Verizon anyway, it's a non issue because we didn't have it before.

For my wife and I, our upgrade is in November. However, we do not intend on upgrading our current iPhone 4 phones. They do everything we need already, plus with our unlimited data we are grandfathered into, taking the upgrade option seems silly.

That said, if a killer deal were to come along that I could outright buy a 5, I would do it. Otherwise, nah.

For me it's not an issue. I never find the need. Even if I did, I always have my 4G iPad3 with me and that is what I use for tethering to my MBA so for me, I could care less if my phone doesn't do voice and data simultaneously.

I'll be heading to an iPhone 5 after having owned Android devices for about 3 years...can someone compare how easy it is to type in iOS compared to using something like Swype? Is the virtual keyboard "nice" / fast?

im sitting this one out. I love the form and size of my 4s. Next year!

FYI, it's still just the sprint and verizon iphones that can't do voice + data at the same time. Both t-mobile and att iphones can. It just won't be over LTE.

However, there will be a 'trick' to get LTE data while on the phone.
1. disable lte
2. make your call so it goes over the 3g radio
3. re-enable lte
4. profit

I'll be heading to an iPhone 5 after having owned Android devices for about 3 years...can someone compare how easy it is to type in iOS compared to using something like Swype? Is the virtual keyboard "nice" / fast?

I've owned a blackberry, and then went straight to the iPhone 4 when Verizon made them available 2 years ago in February. I can say, without a doubt, that the typing on the iPhone keyboard is the most annoying thing you''ll ever have to live with. If you miss a single key stroke, and you'll miss plenty, it'll recommend a ridiculous word in its place, and hitting the little 'x' to cancel the auto-correct usually only works 1 or 2 times out of 10. I'm not a huge fan, but when it does work, it feels satisfying that you shot out a nice paragraph without too many mistakes.

I've owned a blackberry, and then went straight to the iPhone 4 when Verizon made them available 2 years ago in February. I can say, without a doubt, that the typing on the iPhone keyboard is the most annoying thing you''ll ever have to live with. If you miss a single key stroke, and you'll miss plenty, it'll recommend a ridiculous word in its place, and hitting the little 'x' to cancel the auto-correct usually only works 1 or 2 times out of 10. I'm not a huge fan, but when it does work, it feels satisfying that you shot out a nice paragraph without too many mistakes.

I find typing on an iPhone extremely easy. You may have thick fingers. :eek:

I'll second this with the caveat of trying to type in portrait mode. I have no issues with the iphone keyboard in landscape, but the lack of width in portrait mode makes even sending single sentances painful more often than not. For some reason, my natural instinct for responding to texts and even emails is to try to use the phone one-handed (hey, it is designed to fit in your hand right?) even though using both hands in portrait produces less errors and allows me to type faster...

Having used both the 3GS and the DroidX at the same time, I can say that the wider screen on the DroidX produced less errors typing one-handed than my 3GS. However, in landscape mode they were comparable for my usage....

I actually have fairly small fingers, and fairly average sized hands, I'm only 5"9' so, if that's any relation. I just can't seem to get used to it, I always make a giant amount of mistakes because of missing one letter, then you backspace and hit that same letter again, repeat 5x. I usually sweat by the end of a text. :D

Still 19 months to go with my iPhone 4 (on a 3 year contract) so I'll wait since mine works without problems. When it start to have issues, I'll upgrade to the 5 unless there is a hot deal later.

Still 19 months to go with my iPhone 4 (on a 3 year contract) so I'll wait since mine works without problems. When it start to have issues, I'll upgrade to the 5 unless there is a hot deal later.

In 19 months there will at minimum be either a 5S or a 6. There is also a narrow chance of there being two Apple phones released between now and then.

In 19 months there will at minimum be either a 5S or a 6. There is also a narrow chance of there being two Apple phones released between now and then.

I know, if there is a better one by the time I upgrade, i'll pick it for sure. For now, the 5 is the latest one.

Back