iphone & Exchange

LANm0nk3y

Limp Gawd
Anyone have a solution other than using IMAP to work with Exchange? (Goodlink would be fine too)

Anyone have a solution other than using IMAP to work with Exchange? (Goodlink would be fine too)

This is why you buy a Windows Mobile 5+ phone when you want to connect to Exchange. No matter what you come up with, the Windows Mobile solution is the best thing you can use when you throw Exchange into the mix.

This is why you buy a Windows Mobile 5+ phone when you want to connect to Exchange. No matter what you come up with, the Windows Mobile solution is the best thing you can use when you throw Exchange into the mix.

LOL, isn't my choice. I know I have WM5. When the CEO wants the stupid thing, can't do much other than try to get it to work for him

LOL, isn't my choice. I know I have WM5. When the CEO wants the stupid thing, can't do much other than try to get it to work for him

Rofflecakes. And this is how "Zee iPhone ees teh insecure und ees VERBOTEN on zer netvork!" becomes "uhyessir-rightawaysir-i'lldropitoffatyourhousesir!"

Guess you're turning on IMAP.

Rock and a Hard Place.

Just tell him it's not possible... he will probably throw a fit or something.

Well instead of IMAP I supposed you could do POP3?

But as of this time there is no Exchange integration with the iPhone.

is encryption even possible on the iphone? stick with a smart phone or blackberry for company use. there is a raeson Apple isn't doing corporate sales.

Seriously though, why not find a way to make it work as best as possible and still be "secure"?

IMAP
IMAP via IMAP proxyhost
OWA
POP3

and why not even find a way to push the subject, sender and first 100 characters of all the ceo's emails out as an SMS message (after upgrading the SMS limit on the at&t plan) - then it would be more blackberry-like. Can't be that hard.

and why not even find a way to push the subject, sender and first 100 characters of all the ceo's emails out as an SMS message (after upgrading the SMS limit on the at&t plan) - then it would be more blackberry-like. Can't be that hard.

Individually, maybe not. But can you imagine the support something like this would take? Can you imagine the boss missing an important email because the SMS network crapped out( and sms is a low priority packet )?

This is a bad idea.

Well it's hardly meant to replacement for checking for mail.

Doesn't the iPhone mail client have an option automatically check for mail every 15/30/60 minutes or something?

My suggestion was just to provide a "you've got mail" notifier + synopsis so ceo could manually check for mail if it looked interesting enough.

Many suits can't bear the thought of not knowing about incoming mail - I think checking every 15 minutes is probably brutally long for some people I've known from the nosebleed section. You know the type.... the one's who have POP accounts to check for new mail... every minute.

I'm just saying... find a way to make it work and be helpful. It might come in useful when you need it.

Steve Jobs stated that the iPhone will have exchange support in the coming weeks. Either use IMAP(S) or tell your CEO to wait until exchange is fully supported. You shouldn't have to deal with that just because s/he went ahead and bought a new toy without consulting with IT first.

Steve Jobs stated that the iPhone will have exchange support in the coming weeks. Either use IMAP(S) or tell your CEO to wait until exchange is fully supported. You shouldn't have to deal with that just because s/he went ahead and bought a new toy without consulting with IT first.

where did you see this? Link please:D

Easier said than done.

Thanks you guys. Looks like I'm resorting to IMAP. I can't seem to get it to even work. I have OWA (exchange front-end) on DMZ, and actual mailboxes are on another exchange box.

Easier said than done.

Thanks you guys. Looks like I'm resorting to IMAP. I can't seem to get it to even work. I have OWA (exchange front-end) on DMZ, and actual mailboxes are on another exchange box.

Couple of things that would work

Either - portmap port 143 through to the actual server - or probably a better idea to use port 993 and enable IMAP via SSL and take other measures to limit the exposure to the firewall hole;

or setup an IMAP proxyhost in the DMZ (preferably with no other ports open) and again portmap it through to the mailserver. I've used this approach with Exchange 5.5 and a very fussy corporate IT security team, and it works well.

Then continue to evaluate the state of iPhone and Exchange support and adapt as required.

Couple of things that would work

Either - portmap port 143 through to the actual server - or probably a better idea to use port 993 and enable IMAP via SSL and take other measures to limit the exposure to the firewall hole;

or setup an IMAP proxyhost in the DMZ (preferably with no other ports open) and again portmap it through to the mailserver. I've used this approach with Exchange 5.5 and a very fussy corporate IT security team, and it works well.

Then continue to evaluate the state of iPhone and Exchange support and adapt as required.

Got it working w/o what suggesting, I just had to enable IMAP on the server w/ the mailbox. Thank you all.

Now I have to figure out how to secure the sending part of this fiasco.

where did you see this? Link please:D

My mistake, he didn't explicitly state Exchange, but he did say "corporate email," and let's face it, exchange and lotus are the only game in town.

source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-06-28-jobs-stephenson-qa_N.htm

and I dunno if this means anything at all, but there have been some pics floating around with an "exchange" button: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/proof-of-iphones-exchange-server-support-273492.php

you guys are silly. If you think the reason for Exchange is just for email's you are sorely mistaken. I want my emails, contacts, calendar, and task list synched back and forth (isn't this the main reason for a smartphone/pda?) on a phone.

If iphone gets this working, I can assure you that there will be a boom in sales.

Your easy solution is to use something similar to Telekinesis and just have him do a VPN-style connection to his work PC. :) Problem pseudo-solved, but of course he could only really view the newest E-Mail received, assuming you have it auto-select that E-Mail for him. :) Or he could pay to have a secretary scroll through the E-Mails for him on his PC whenever he wants to read them. :)

Back