iPhone Killer?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
LG and Verizon are teaming up to proactively attempt to put a nice dent in iPhone sales. We have said numerous times that if the iPhone wasn’t an Apple device no one would really care. Put a device with a real keyboard on an efficient broadband network, does that spell trouble for Apple?

Attracting the most attention is LG Electronics' Voyager, which resembles the iPhone in several ways. The Voyager, exclusively offered by Verizon Wireless, has a large external touch screen that also slides open sideways for a full QWERTY keypad. This gives users a choice on how they access the phone's features, Verizon Wireless said.

It seems that every major provider is jumping on the bandwagon, so stay tuned.

Efficient broadband network?

Verizon just made me even happier I ditched my contract early to switch to AT&T (with the 8525, which has a real keyboard). How can you screw up worse in that business than letting your service die for hours? Maybe by overcharging... oh, wait - they didn't even mention bill credits for the time they weren't providing service. :rolleyes:

Get some spare parts, guys.

the version att is selling is a dumbed down part made by htc. The original version has 2 camera's (one on the front and one on the back) and has the ability to use 32gb of storage.

They dumbed the product down so as not to outshine the iphone.

One of my buddies bought the original (8925 tytan II) and the dual core processor is sweet.

The tytan II is running around $750 though.

I personally am happy with my 8525.

Verizon is picking up a version of the HTC Touch called the Vogue, and T-Mobile will be selling the regular GSM unit. It's a neat little PDA phone, though it needs more horsepower/RAM, and it lacks 3g but does have WiFi. For those of us that like WM6 (loads of apps, corporate compatibility) , it's a better device in many ways than the iPhone.

And HTC's Touch Dual will be on the market soon, which is an updated Touch with a "traditional" slide down keypad (both a regular numeric and a 20 key QWERTY will be available), and it has the same (higher powered, more RAM) internals as the TyTn II and is 3.5g.

I am happy with my HTC, a lot better than my coworkers iPhone....

I currently have a $10 claim shell I got from Best Buy on sale and pay as you go Virgin..

I had all the tech phones from the 1st Palm build in to the N-gage... Anyway I decided I was sick of all that and went back to just a phone, but damn, the iPhone is cool!

At the very least Apple shock up the Phone company's and now they are running scared...

iPhone killer eh?

I guess it has sold well enough to need to use that term...maybe?
I hardly think it has saturated the market in the same way the iPod has so I am not even sure if there is a need for a "iPhone Killer".

But, I am always up for good competition :)

I don't see anything LG as competition for the iPhone. I used to work cell phone tech support and LG phones had the worst reliability of anything we sold. When customers wanted to order new phones we all tried to steer them toward any brand but LG.

I like their computer stuff-- but their phones are not reliable.

Back