iPhone warranty w/o AT&T contract?

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

Does anyone know if you can take an iPhone in to be serviced w/o an active contract? I just bought a used one and would like to get it replaced since the home button isn't working properly.

I've received mixed reports of success w/o having an active contract!

Thanks!

I'd take it into an Apple store and find out. You may have an issue since the iPhone is going to be registered to someone else, but I believe the warranty is transferrable.

Yea, I plan on going in to the store. But I'm wondering if they'll tell me that I must have an active AT&T plan.

The Apple Store I got my 1st gen replaced at after I bought my 3G so I could give the 1st gen to a friend (for cost of the out of warranty replacement) just said 'so umm, do you *not* want me to activate this here? /wink' and we were on our way.

I don't think they care all that much... I mean, you paid for the product initially.

From what I understand, if you unlock the iPhone you void the warranty.

i can safely say that after having replaced a number of 1st gen iphones with plans, without plans, on t-mobile, or whatever, even one without a sim card, that apple could care less so long as you pay the 199 replacement fee for out of warranty repair/replacement

From what I understand, if you unlock the iPhone you void the warranty.

i can safely say that after having replaced a number of 1st gen iphones with plans, without plans, on t-mobile, or whatever, even one without a sim card, that apple could care less so long as you pay the 199 replacement fee for out of warranty repair/replacement

neither of these scenarios really apply to me. the 2nd one sort of does... but i'm not out of warranty and the phone is not unlocked...

i went to the the Apple store today, they were very nice but said i needed to have an active AT&T contract to have it replaced.... i wish i understood how that pertained to Apple's product!

i'm going to keep trying my luck with other employees at different stores/days, etc..

i went to the the Apple store today, they were very nice but said i needed to have an active AT&T contract to have it replaced.... i wish i understood how that pertained to Apple's product!

i'm going to keep trying my luck with other employees at different stores/days, etc..

wow, really, that's too bad, try another apple store? tell them you'll be signing up when the phone starts to work but haven't decided what plan to choose or something.

or that the phone will be a gift for an AT&T subscriber.

yea, i went and picked up an AT&T prepaid phone today. later tonight i'm going to try putting that SIM in the iPhone to see if it gets service (it should). hopefully then i can take it in.

That is what I am saying... the iPhone is bound to its geographic carrier which in the US is ATT. If you have a working iPhone without an ATT contract, that means you performed an unlock/jailbreak on the iPhone. This is a violation of the iPhone ToS and voids the warranty.

That is what I am saying... the iPhone is bound to its geographic carrier which in the US is ATT. If you have a working iPhone without an ATT contract, that means you performed an unlock/jailbreak on the iPhone. This is a violation of the iPhone ToS and voids the warranty.

i understand that, but i have not unlocked nor jailbroken it. and besides, you can put it back to a locked/unjailbroken state anyways.

Put in an AT&T prepaid sim and they'll replace it. They don't know what kind of plan you have, it just needs to show up as a live, activated phone.

i understand that, but i have not unlocked nor jailbroken it. and besides, you can put it back to a locked/unjailbroken state anyways.

Yea I know. Just make sure the IMEI number is the same both in the software of the phone and on the hardware id

i'm currently trying to figure out how to get the iPhone activated with the prepaid sim. i set up the prepaid card but when i put the iPhone into iTunes it said that it wouldn't activate with that SIM.

does anyone know how to activate the iPhone so i can have the SIM working in it? it's got 2.0 installed on it right now

Um, Iphones requires a special sim if I remember correctly. I recently bought a iphone from an AT&T store and the sim cards are different from a standard Gophone AT&T phone.

Ok, I just took my iphone sim out and it looks like it needs to be 3g sim card.

BTW, i know what you're trying to do. But really can't recommend t-mobiles network for the iphone. Too each there own.

for those of you still following this thread, i'm going to post a write-up over at Howardforums tomorrow evening. i've finally figured out the answer to all of my questions and such. i will be getting my iPhone replaced under warranty by Apple tomorrow evening, and I plan to explain every step of the process to get there. (both my mistakes and the lessons learned)

Spiffy, be sure to drop us a specific link here to howardforums so we can check it.

uh, you can buy an iphone without a contract. You pay ~$250 more for it, but you can get it that way. So simply stating that because he has a phone without a contract means he's voided his warranty is not true.

OI, where is the link? I tried to look for your thread, but your user name isn't listed there.

Back