iPhone4 Slow Motion Sniper Shot

Whoever shot that has terrible aim.
Granted if this was shot from a mile away it's rather impressive though.

I was expecting a slow motion sniper captured by the iPhone 4 camera though.

That is what i thought, that wasn't a very good shoot. I guess they did hit it, but just barely.

Info says they were hitting it with a .50 BMG round. Its a shame they didn't get a more solid shot on the thing. It would have been much more visually impressive.

Would it have been possible to have the iphone's camera running as well? Have it pointing to the sniper, a brief instant you see the flash then when it impacts the camera.......nothing. I guess it only works that way in Hollywood.

Would it have been possible to have the iphone's camera running as well? Have it pointing to the sniper, a brief instant you see the flash then when it impacts the camera.......nothing. I guess it only works that way in Hollywood.

The clamp was covering the lower left corner. It probably couldn't send or receive signals :D

Awesome. They could have just dropped it and had a similar effect though :D.

Then how would you get the video off of the phone? I guess you could use that video conferencing feature to get video from the other iPhone, but then you'd have to have WiFi outside there, hah.

You've never shot a gun before have you?

Why do you say that? Center mass would have been a better shot, not just clipping the corner. now if they had taken the shot along the edge that would have been more impressive, (and caused more damage).

3 seconds of bullet effects and 59 seconds of an iPhone falling down??

editing or SLOWER motion is advised !

homer_boring.gif

I am probably in a minority but getting sick of seeing whatever Apple's latest iCRAP being tortured in some way. Glad there are plenty of people in this economy with $ to burn to buy an expensive device then destroy it in some "novel" way, usually without a purpose except.. to blow it up! Like the Coke-Mentos dudes, this has really gone past whatever 15 seconds of entertainment value it initially had. "Clicked it.. seen it.. just like in tons of other postings.. not original.. basically boring! Steve.. you are making wish SkyNet became self aware today!!

homer_boring.gif

I am probably in a minority but getting sick of seeing whatever Apple's latest iCRAP being tortured in some way. Glad there are plenty of people in this economy with $ to burn to buy an expensive device then destroy it in some "novel" way, usually without a purpose except.. to blow it up! Like the Coke-Mentos dudes, this has really gone past whatever 15 seconds of entertainment value it initially had. "Clicked it.. seen it.. just like in tons of other postings.. not original.. basically boring! Steve.. you are making wish SkyNet became self aware today!!
A lot of companies use it as advertising.

It would depend on distance and caliber. Though I'm betting it was shot at fairly close range.

That is what i thought, that wasn't a very good shoot. I guess they did hit it, but just barely.

It wasn't a center mass hit but given the iPhone's size its not a bad shot.

Info says they were hitting it with a .50 BMG round. Its a shame they didn't get a more solid shot on the thing. It would have been much more visually impressive.

Yeah I would have liked a dead center hit but that's not the easiest thing to do given the size of the target.

yo Kyle, where do you go shoot at? that 16 HD video kicked ass man. and WTF do you get a .50 cal? you shoot freaking deer with that?

Pretty lame. I'd like to see it captured at, say, 200 million frames per second.

No, you don't get a .50 cal to shoot deer. You don't even use it to hunt dangerous, safari-grade game, at least not that semi-auto BMG. Safari hunting (Elephants, Rhinos, etc) are typically done with either a double rifle, a lever action rifle, or a bolt-action in some circumstances. A non-militarized .50 cal BMG semi-auto rifle is strictly for people that wish to waste a few thousand dollars on a worthless rifle because it's tacti-COOL.

And yeah, to all the retards defending the guy who made the terrible shot - yes, it's a TERRIBLE shot and an even more TERRIBLE video. You'd think that if your entire purpose was to make a video on shooting an iPod you would try to make the process as idiot proof as possible, i.e. shooting at close enough a range to not make such a pathetic "hit."

Seriously, Can someone tell me WHY one would buy a fairly expensive product like this only to shoot, smash, bled or mutilate in some way?

I know, I know, lets go buy a brand new BMW and pour a load of concrete on it and see what that looks like in slow mo.

Hell, I'm not even really a Apple fan and I just look at these kinds of things and say, why?

Seriously, Can someone tell me WHY one would buy a fairly expensive product like this only to shoot, smash, bled or mutilate in some way?

I know, I know, lets go buy a brand new BMW and pour a load of concrete on it and see what that looks like in slow mo.

Hell, I'm not even really a Apple fan and I just look at these kinds of things and say, why?

Because we are MEN. Its what we do. Blowing things up is cool and if we can do it with the latest and greatest man toy out there we'll gladly stop playing with our balls and put down our beer to shoot the fucker with a big gun.

A non-militarized .50 cal BMG semi-auto rifle is strictly for people that wish to waste a few thousand dollars on a worthless rifle because it's tacti-COOL.

The bigotry is pretty strong here. Some people enjoy shooting large-caliber rifles, especially considering the .50 BMG offers the best effective range of nearly any modern caliber. Even .30 in any form won't carry energy as far as the .50 BMG. It's also pretty neat just to have one, much like it's pretty neat to have an i7 Extreme edition and 3-way SLI with 480 GTX or equivalent.

Although I will admit that at about $5/round, .50BMG isn't exactly for the hobbyist interested in volume shooting.

yo Kyle, where do you go shoot at? that 16 HD video kicked ass man. and WTF do you get a .50 cal? you shoot freaking deer with that?

There are a few ranges in the DFW area that do allow the use of .50BMG rifles. The reason why he bought a .50BMG rifle is probably similar to the reason I did. (Though Kyle did buy his first.) Because its cool and its a lot of fun to shoot. Also there is nothing as challenging as trying to hit something 2,000 yards away. :D BTW if you hit a dear with that there wouldn't be hardly any usable meat left. Such weapons in the civilian market are purely for target shooting.

No, you don't get a .50 cal to shoot deer. You don't even use it to hunt dangerous, safari-grade game, at least not that semi-auto BMG. Safari hunting (Elephants, Rhinos, etc) are typically done with either a double rifle, a lever action rifle, or a bolt-action in some circumstances. A non-militarized .50 cal BMG semi-auto rifle is strictly for people that wish to waste a few thousand dollars on a worthless rifle because it's tacti-COOL.

Exactly what non-militarized .50BMG rifles are there? There are very few semi-automatic .50BMG rifles. The only one that comes to mind is the Barrett M82 and M107 rifles. These weapons are readily available on the civilian market and they are identical to the rifles used by the military. The M107's have a rear monopod and only a few a year get sold on the civilian market but the M82's that you buy are precisely the same as the ones used by the military prior to the re-designation of the M82 to M107. As for .50BMG rifles in general, I don't know how "Tacti-cool" they are. However they are tons of fun to shoot and it is no more "wasteful" than buying an expensive computer to play games or a fast car to drive around in.

And yeah, to all the retards defending the guy who made the terrible shot - yes, it's a TERRIBLE shot and an even more TERRIBLE video. You'd think that if your entire purpose was to make a video on shooting an iPod you would try to make the process as idiot proof as possible, i.e. shooting at close enough a range to not make such a pathetic "hit."

To be perfectly frank about it, I don't know the circumstances of the shoot or what they were really trying for. So I'll reserve judgment on the shoot until I know more. As to the actual shooting itself, I'll provide the rifle, the range time and fees, you provide the ammunition and the iPhone and let's see how well you can do. Or if someone wants to provide an iPhone I'll cover the rest and we'll see if I can do better. (I'd like to think so but I don't know the circumstances of their setup so who knows?)

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1035873975 said:
The bigotry is pretty strong here. Some people enjoy shooting large-caliber rifles, especially considering the .50 BMG offers the best effective range of nearly any modern caliber. Even .30 in any form won't carry energy as far as the .50 BMG. It's also pretty neat just to have one, much like it's pretty neat to have an i7 Extreme edition and 3-way SLI with 480 GTX or equivalent.

Although I will admit that at about $5/round, .50BMG isn't exactly for the hobbyist interested in volume shooting.

I love large caliber weapons. I enjoy shooting them and I enjoy the challenge of placing a shot where I want it when there is so much recoil to deal with. There is just a satisfaction I get from firing such weapons that can't be achieved using smaller caliber or rim-fire weapons. As for volume shooting, I'd love to do it but yeah, it gets expensive real quick. Your points are well made. Hopefully some of those guys in the thread who don't get it will start to. Then again I won't get my hopes up on that. :rolleyes:

You've never shot a gun before have you?
I wonder if you have :D

Let's see last time I shot at 200yd just plinking around with my .270, I shot a silver dollar on 10 rounds.

So yes, whoever shot that sucks. Like I said, if this dude was a mile off or something that was another story. But chances are this guy was probably no more than 50 yd off.

No, you don't get a .50 cal to shoot deer.
:eek:
LOL, I can't imagine what a .50 cal killed deer would look like. Probably like you had surgically implanted a grenade and it imploded.

.50 cal is really too big for anything. The military will use them with sharp shooters (because the point there is to kill someone... you aren't trying to save the meat or skin for mounting purposes...).
You don't really hunt with a .50 at all. Not the most portable choice, either.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1035873975 said:

That's my point - you and the vast majority of the people that own this weapons don't have a clue as to what they're doing, being the equivelant of chimps that know how to look down a scope and pull the trigger. The terrible shot made on the video is a testament to that.

One who buys a big rifle like this and just expect to shoot factory ammo out of it to get a few kicks at the range is simply retarded. That's thousands of dollars into a "hobby" you have no clue about - the very least you can do is reload for it and try to learn about what it means to make match-grade ammunition.

If all you want to do is drop a few thousand on a rifle and plug factory ammo through it as you go bang-a-lang and have a few hyuck-hyucks at the range saying, "DErp this gun sure do have a good ol' kick to 'er, yeaaah!!" then go home, well... then you're a fucking imbecile.

Let's see last time I shot at 200yd just plinking around with my .270, I shot a silver dollar on 10 rounds.

So yes, whoever shot that sucks. Like I said, if this dude was a mile off or something that was another story. But chances are this guy was probably no more than 50 yd off.

Like I said I'd like to know more about the shooting setup. The weapon, the ranges, the ammunition, etc. before I pass judgment on the shooter. I do agree that at .50 yards it could have been done much better. I don't know if his sighting was off or what, but for a shot which will be filmed, I'd make damned sure I was right on the money before firing. I'd have bore sighted it with a laser at the range I'd be shooting from. I'd hold the bipod down with sand bags, and make sure my platform was stable. I'd also have gone for a day with next to nothing for wind and moderate temperatures. (For the time of year.)

LOL, I can't imagine what a .50 cal killed deer would look like. Probably like you had surgically implanted a grenade and it imploded.

I've seen .50BMG rip mountain goats in half. There are some videos of that on Youtube. I can't imagine a deer would fare much better.

.50 cal is really too big for anything. The military will use them with sharp shooters (because the point there is to kill someone... you aren't trying to save the meat or skin for mounting purposes...).

Actually the military uses the .50BMG Barrett M107 as an "anti-materials" rifle more than anything. Snipers do use them against people but that's not the primary purpose of the weapon. You typically want to use AP, API, or HE rounds at fuel supplies, ammunition stores, or vehicles to inflict damage to the enemies assets at a safe range. Against people .338 Lapua and .308 are more practical.

Actually the military uses the .50BMG Barrett M107 as an "anti-materials" rifle more than anything. Snipers do use them against people but that's not the primary purpose of the weapon. You typically want to use AP, API, or HE rounds at fuel supplies, ammunition stores, or vehicles to inflict damage to the enemies assets at a safe range. Against people .338 Lapua and .308 are more practical.

I know the internet is a cesspool for filth, ignorance, and misinformation but this post, come on, seriously?

.50 CAL BMG was designed for machine gun, aka ANTI-PERSONNEL use. It's essentially a gigantic 30-06. It is a great anti-personnel round for sniping, legend Carlos Hathcock saw its potential there and utilized it in Vietnam.

As for the latter of your post, to even insinuate a using the .50 BMG as a primarily anti-armor or "fuel supply/ammunition store" platform is completely retarded and reeks of Call of Duty nerd. The US Military does not train snipers to go out and find ammo crates and fuel cans to shoot with a .50 BMG round. They train snipers to kill people. You're an idiot. That about sums up this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty, which is why I can't pass judgement on the shooter based on how little we know.

Way to go e-thug.

So yes, whoever shot that sucks.
You saw a zoomed in slow motion video of his target and nothing else. Saying he sucks is nothing but swinging your e-dick around because you don't know anything about the shot.

Way to go e-thug.
I wasn't the one that questioned my shooting abilities...

You saw a zoomed in slow motion video of his target and nothing else.
Of course. But you probably know this wasn't shot at 500yrd or anything. It's just pointless when all you're doing is shooting a phone.

He could've tested his shot out on a freaking apple (hahaha) first to check alignment or SOMETHING first... He didn't.

Both of you are right but this thing, as above poster pointed out, was originally designed for blowing people out of existence.

It can be used to disable material objects however it's not for blowing them up as much as simply destroying electronic components and the like.

Actually the .50BMG round was designed for use in machine guns. Primarily as an anti-aircraft / anti-vehicle round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG

An excerpt from the article:

"The round was conceptualized during World War I by John Browning in response to a requirement for an anti-aircraft weapon."

It can be used to disable material objects however it's not for blowing them up as much as simply destroying electronic components and the like.

I never said anything about blowing stuff up. It is used to disable vehicles and damage assets where secondary explosions are not a concern or are perhaps even desirable.

Realistically, the exit wound would be a mess. You also run the risk of contaminating the meat with urine or gut poo.

However, I hunt with a .54 using 640+ grain hollowpoints and 90-100 grain powder load. The wound is normally clean, but the heart/lungs will usually be evac'ed. A bad shot results in on the spot cleaning, not ideal.

Back