iPod crapping the bed?

trxjw

Limp Gawd
I've owned my iPod for about a year and a half and its been great. But the other day after the battery was recharged, I plugged it into my PC to transfer some new tracks but iTunes wasn't recognizing my iPod. It was there in windows explorer.. but for some reason I couldnt access it from iTunes. Rebooted.. and XP wants to run a scan on the "damaged" hard drive. I let it do its thing and it ends up with a few hundred corrupt files. Load XP.. still not working. Tried to reformat it manually in fat32, stalls out at 21% every time and forces a reboot. Explorer is still reading it as 6gb full and 3gb empty.

Anyone have any ideas as to fixing it? Or should I just try and bitch out bestbuy until they replace it? Thanks

If it's under warranty, TAKE IT BACK. Not worth messing with if it's covered. Get a replacement and re-laod.

Now, if it's NOT under warranty, then mess with it.

trxjw said:
I've owned my iPod for about a year and a half and its been great. But the other day after the battery was recharged, I plugged it into my PC to transfer some new tracks but iTunes wasn't recognizing my iPod. It was there in windows explorer.. but for some reason I couldnt access it from iTunes. Rebooted.. and XP wants to run a scan on the "damaged" hard drive. I let it do its thing and it ends up with a few hundred corrupt files. Load XP.. still not working. Tried to reformat it manually in fat32, stalls out at 21% every time and forces a reboot. Explorer is still reading it as 6gb full and 3gb empty.

Anyone have any ideas as to fixing it? Or should I just try and bitch out bestbuy until they replace it? Thanks

If its under warranty what ever you do ... dont touch the hardware. Like everyone else said its most likely a hardware problem and you should send it back.

Now let me ask you this... is it a 4th generation iPod ?

Mushroom Prince said:
If its under warranty what ever you do ... dont touch the hardware. Like everyone else said its most likely a hardware problem and you should send it back.

Now let me ask you this... is it a 4th generation iPod ?

Im 99% sure its a 3rd gen iPod.

Thanks for the input all, I need to figure out if it is under warranty or not. It was a gift so I dont have a reciept which is going to be a hassle Im sure.

trxjw said:

Thanks for the input all, I need to figure out if it is under warranty or not. It was a gift so I dont have a reciept which is going to be a hassle Im sure.

yeah the harddrive on my third generation failed last week

trxjw said:
3rd gens have the horizontal row of buttons above the scroll wheel, now you can be 100% sure.

doesn't matter if it is or not, if its warrentied, and they have to replace it, they go by monetary value (ie how much you paid originally) So if you have a 15 or 20gb 3G, at the time thay were $400, you, upon replacment, would ither recieve a 30gb photo, and $50 credit, or a 60gb photo, upon dishing out $50.

But yea, if it is under warrenty, don't hesitate to send it back.

unless he has apple care, it seems unlikely that it will still be under warranty.

There's other warranty than AppleCare. He bought it at Best Buy. I got my 30Gb iPod Photo from BB with a 3 year warranty from them. If it dies, I don't get a replacement from Apple, I get a replacement based on cost, and then get whatever model is currently availible, + or - price difference. Works out better in my opinion. I had a greyscale Handspring PDA through BB. It died. They discontinued the greyscale model, free upgrade to color screen, no charge, AND the remainder of the first warranty on the second PDA. Plus, AppleCare is 2 years, BB is 3.

Back