iPod (Flash vs HD)

Zick

Gawd
I've been thinking about buying an iPod and just heard that some of them are now using Flash memory instead of an actually hard drive.
Are all iPod going to be flash now or only certain models?
Also, what the advantage/disadvantage of having a flash drive vs hard drive?

Flash is limited size wise. You can't get a 30g flash drive (yet). Flash is more expensive, but typically more durable, as far as survivng drops etc. That being said, I have dropped my 30g iPod more than once, with no damage. Maybe I'm lucky, but they seem durable enough.

The biggest difference is size. If you need space, you'll need a hd model.

Theroetically, a flash drive should live forever, and just like a data hd, an iPod with a hd will eventually wear out.

Flash = no moving parts, which isn't true for the HD video models. If you need the drive space get the HD, otherwise you can look into the flash nano. Durability is very good on the videos unless it takes a serious impact - which would probably damage the screen on either model before damaging the drive.

I absolutely love my nano, its so freakin tiny and theres no worries of dropping it and damaging a hard drive. Its limited in space though, if your a super music nut then its not enough, but for me its more than enough. The usb 2.0 transfer speeds with it are wonderful too, my old iriver is a snail in comparison.

Back