iPod Flash?

A HDD device should still be cheaper for the money. I'm happy with my 3G, but i suppose there might be a market for a super small and lightweight iPod with a much lower capacity. Granted, it will have a ton of battery time, probably.

just got myself a mini and my gf a ipod photo last night. i must admit that i was never an ipod fan before. but now.. i am. i'm sure the flash player will be something new and with a spin =-)

DatHak512 said:
A HDD device should still be cheaper for the money. I'm happy with my 3G, but i suppose there might be a market for a super small and lightweight iPod with a much lower capacity. Granted, it will have a ton of battery time, probably.

Ah, but only cheaper per GB. Most likely it will be like 4GB and that will be much cheaper than the HD based ones. Plus it could get rid of its huge 25MB cache because it would be skip proof, and that would save some money.

2GB CF cards can be had for less than $100 retail. Far below the several hundred for a HD based one. If they bought bulk I dont think that it would be that bad.

Black Morty Rackham said:
A 4 gigabyte solid-state MP3 player would cost a fortune... try 256 or 512 megabytes.

Where the hell have you been lately? It's been all over the modding sites that Creative has a 4Gb MP3 player with a 4Gb CF card as the drive, priced for LESS than 4Gb CF cards alone go for. Everyone's been buying these players, taking out the 4Gb CF cards, replacing them with 256 Mb cards, and dropping them back onto eBay. They get 4Gb CF cards for cameras and other things for this. Price right now on Newegg is $130 for the player and all. Linky. This price would give the iPod mini a run for it's money, if it didn't suck so bad. (Just for fun, go to eBay and do a search for "Creative Nomad" and see how many come up as "refurbished" with 128 and 256 Mb capacity. :D )

BTW, I thought that the iPod mini WAS a solid state flash based player anyways. Isn't it? Are we talking about a HUGE jump in size for some new flash based iPod? Or is it going to be removeable flash this time, as in upgradeable? What's the diff?

ProphetSix said:
Where the hell have you been lately? It's been all over the modding sites that Creative has a 4Gb MP3 player with a 4Gb CF card as the drive, priced for LESS than 4Gb CF cards alone go for. Everyone's been buying these players, taking out the 4Gb CF cards, replacing them with 256 Mb cards, and dropping them back onto eBay. They get 4Gb CF cards for cameras and other things for this. Price right now on Newegg is $130 for the player and all. Linky. This price would give the iPod mini a run for it's money, if it didn't suck so bad. (Just for fun, go to eBay and do a search for "Creative Nomad" and see how many come up as "refurbished" with 128 and 256 Mb capacity. :D )

BTW, I thought that the iPod mini WAS a solid state flash based player anyways. Isn't it? Are we talking about a HUGE jump in size for some new flash based iPod? Or is it going to be removeable flash this time, as in upgradeable? What's the diff?

Where have you been? They (creative/microdrive manufacturers) killed that technique almost 6 months ago... You can 'try' it with the carbon, but I'm not sure how easy it is to work that.

Although...i feel like in 6 months a 4gb microdrive will be super duper cheap on it's own, and hte 2gb CF devices should hover at about $120....making a teeny tiny device not a problem to have. get a pocket PC people...those things do everything. or an archos--at least those play movies.

Brett13 said:
Ah, but only cheaper per GB. Most likely it will be like 4GB and that will be much cheaper than the HD based ones. Plus it could get rid of its huge 25MB cache because it would be skip proof, and that would save some money.
Okay, fine, you win :D.

Back to one of my original questions: if the iPod Mini a rotating HDD, or a CF card?

The mini and the creative labs nomad are both micro drives, NEITHER are flash based media. The craze a while ago was for the 4GB micro drives, solid state drives haven't come down in price enough to be economical.

ProphetSix said:
Back to one of my original questions: if the iPod Mini a rotating HDD, or a CF card?
It uses a toshiba 0.85" hard drive made just for Apple.

Back