Ipod Modding

I just copped myself a shiney new Ipod. I must say this bland color is beneath me. Who out there has painted thier Ipod? I have search high and low and there isnt much of a modding community out there? Post your instructions and images of you Ipod mods. I know that [H] community has plenty of Ipod modders out there.

$400 for a single piece of hardware -- I'm not touching this thing. Seriously, if I could put it back in the box and still use it, I would. The day I get a scratch bigger than 1cm, I'll cry.

You can buy covers and such for your ipod....don't remember the exact website but search around for ipod skins or something.

I remember seeing ipod faceplates and skins and such at london drugs but they were insanely ovepriced $50 for three faceplates?

Yes there are a number of existing faceplates and skins. Most notable and what seems the be the most popular is Iskin at iskin.com. These are really good skins but they don't offer anything that can be modded. The range is color, which are nice, but I want to customize a bit. Anybody know of any company that offers custom paint jobs or can paint from your custom designs?

AR said:
$400 for a single piece of hardware -- I'm not touching this thing. Seriously, if I could put it back in the box and still use it, I would. The day I get a scratch bigger than 1cm, I'll cry.

I know what you mean. I have had mine for about eight months now and it is all scrached up. I think the minute I touched it I scratched it.

you just have to look at it cross eyed to scracth these things ;) I would see if you can find some computer wrap (I have seen it for PC cases) and it just use that..it would be cheaper than painting and might give you a little more flexability...as for doing any perminent mods...wouldn't even try that due to warranty *issues* ;)

i'll echo what ProphetSix just said... i've heard they're top notch.... if you're willing to pay the steep price.

RATS!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys but, I shot these guys and email to ask them about the capabilites of custom painting. I sent them this pic as an example
camo.jpg

Here is a copy and paste of their response

Hello,

I’m sorry, but we are not taking on any special custom work at this time. With such a high demand for our products, we cannot sacrifice the time this project would take out of production. Thank you for expressing interest in ColorWare and our products.

Lars

ColorWare Inc. Sales

Looks like it back to square one

When I see that color sample all I can hear is...

"That way I can go huntin' with my newfangled gadget thar."
/hick

Seriously though I think before doing any kind of mods I'd put something like Write Right over the screen to keep it from getting all scratched up, I know it helps my Palm, even if you don't write on it i'll help protect it.

Hey what can I say I am a Soldier and I want it to blend in a bit when in uniform :D

Anyways go with the icondom for screen protection. I hear that most screen protectors have a tendency to move around and could scratch the screens as well. So if you use Iskin for instance and toss an icondom below it. You got Fort Knox protection.

You can get Icondom from Egay

Back