iPod nano screw up. Darnit Apple!

IceWindus

n00b
Grrrr, I REALLY love the iPod nano until I found out they farking soldered the damn battery to the board? Im sorry Apple, but since your using Lithium Ion which MAYBE have a full year of full charging life, how the fuck are we supposed to get replacement batteries for this thing? Do we have the joy of shipping it off to you paying some horrendous price for YOU to install it, or are you planning on trusting consumers enough to do their own soldering?

Seriously, I would have glady sacrified size to have the ability to replace the battery like EVERY OTHER MP3 player out there!! Grr.....maybe I'll just stick with my iRiver at this rate.

Apple.........iPod.........think stupid.

See you shouldn't have to pay for apple care if they would make there products not so lame. Another apple blunder IMO.

Wow the battery attached to the iPod? That would be like buying a car and not being able to replace the accessory battery. I can see it now.

Car dealershiip:" What seems to be the problem today?"
Customer:"Well, my battery in my car ran out. What should I do?"
Car dealership:" Well it looks like you are going to have to buy another car. You've got plenty of models to choose from this time, all at a low APR of just 400%!"

:confused: :eek:

synergyo1 said:
Pay for Applecare and you'll won't have to worry about it the next 3 years :)

iPod Applecare goes for 2 years unless they changed it in the past 2 weeks.

hmm... doesn't look very hard to solder that at all. I'm sure if you ever had a problem with the battery, you could find someone to solder those wires for you.

The point is its small and feature packed. Look at it closely. Find room where a locking connector could go. There isnt any. Every millimeter was used. The battery is in one place, and the wires go all the way across the board. That is plenty of space to cut and splice a new battery in.

Methodical said:
The point is its small and feature packed. Look at it closely. Find room where a locking connector could go. There isnt any. Every millimeter was used. The battery is in one place, and the wires go all the way across the board. That is plenty of space to cut and splice a new battery in.
That's exactly what i was thinking. But there's always complainers out there.

T-Bird 151 said:
I don't think the battery is soldered to anything. After watching the video on revision3 of them taking apart a nano, the battery came out just fine.

Link: http://revision3.com/systm/subsystm/ipodnano/

I just watched it. The battery itself isn't soldered to anything; it was glued. However the battery connectors are soldered to the board and held in place with a tan translucent film.

replacing the battery wouldn't be too big of an issue if you are experienced with a soldering iron, or one of the cold/heat soldering units they have on thinkgeek.

The only thing about applecare and replacing batteries is you may not get your original ipod nano back. This is inferred when reading the ipod battery replacement page on the apple website.

If you are worried about replacing the batteries down the road, i would get a regular ipod that still has the battery connector.

The thing is you have to pry the thing apart anyway. It has been this way since the first ipods came out. If you are going to go through that trouble whats splicing some wires or some simple soldering. I mean that just seems like a real mute point to me. I don't see why people would really care.

apple has a battery replacement service that has come down in price recently to $59 so you won't have to completely replace your nano if the battery craps out after warranty, mind you it could be 25-30 bucks cheaper to order a do it yourself kit had they not soldered it to the board, but at least nano owners won't be left in the dust. Also if you asked one of the engineers who worked on the nano why they soldered the battery to the board they'd probably reply with "you try making it that small and have everything easily interchangeable."

well, I think it sort of sucks that the batteries don't last for shit, and they make them next to impossible to replace. Sort of goes against apples "user friendly" brand notoriety. A good scheme to make a lot of money though, maybe they finally learned not to do things the right way, but the lucrative way. I wonder where they ever would have learned that? Surely not from a small company just outside of Seattle?

darkhorse said:
it could be 25-30 bucks cheaper to order a do it yourself kit had they not soldered it to the board, but at least nano owners won't be left in the dust.

You could learn to solder well enough to replace the battery in about an evening.

bwahaha i see it now, if Lith ion batteries cant hold charges to well in a year, youll see a mass of them hit e gay and other forums for sale so people can just buy another :p

soulsaver

synergyo1 said:
2 years + the 1 year that comes standard = 3 years :)
AppleCare extends your standard 1 year warranty to 2 years, not for 2 extra years.

Shorty said:
AppleCare extends your standard 1 year warranty to 2 years, not for 2 extra years.

Thanks for the backup :cool:

AppleCare on Apple CPU's extends your service contract to three years total, while the iPod APP only extends it to two years. Also, you don't get a straight one year warranty, it's a 6 month warranty and then a 6 month warranty. Under the second 6 months you have to pay $29 if your iPod needs to be replaced.

synergyo1 said:
2 years + the 1 year that comes standard = 3 years :)
Wrong. You get 1 support incident inside of the first 90 days (tech support) and a 1 year hardware warranty. When you buy the AppleCare, you get 2 years of phone support and hardware support total. No adding

For their computers you get 3 years instead (again, no adding to the already present warranty because the AppleCare is NOT a warranty)

It's a new iPod, and a new battery. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and claim the battery will die really quickly. Soldering the battery wires wouldn't be difficult for anyone with a little soldering experience. For those without, the battery can be replaced through Apple or from online repair companies.

Just so everyone can see:
dissections_battery_soldered_to_board.jpg

It doesn't look too hard to even solder back onto the board. Anyone who's even moderately skilled at soldering should be able to do it.

If you have the aptitude to open the iPod, then you should have the skill to work on that.

If you don't... well you shouldn't be complaining.

omg it doesnt have normal aaa batteris!!! teh suxx0r!

Seriously though, I'm with KaosDG (what does the DG mean, anyway?) on this. If you can open it, you can solder it. If you can't open it, you should complain in the first place.

Back