iPod Photo

fatbob_158

2[H]4U
It's here. comments?

i don't like the fact that it's .75 in thick... otherwise, cool

yeah....it's a little thick, but my first reaction is:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

as soon as they get the thickness back to normal it's going to make the old one's look so black and white.

throw in an oled screen...put a movie player on there.....

seems like apple is headed in the right direction.

looks nice... but 600 breaks the bank for me

i'll stick with my 4g 40 gig ipod for now :) even though i'm up to 35 gigs of music :(

maybe i'll go for next gens... the color screen does look mucho sexy

Too much money, what's it provide that others haven't already? Other than the apple name?

Thank god I bought the Best Buy replacement plan. I can forsee my new 40 4G pod taking a swim in the toliet already. :D :D

Edit:

the more I think about it and read more on it...its pretty neat they are moving this way but, I'd probably wait until the output of the pictures to the TV is component instead of composite. Still, a color screen is damn cool and when I first saw it I was naseated just thinking I spent $400+ on my pod 3 weeks ago.

and here I thought you were talking about pics of the new U2 ipod...just went to the site and saw the ipod photo...sucks that I haven't gotten any info on it yet though ;)

Apple unveils iPod Photo

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6338409/

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Apple Computer on Tuesday rolled out a new version of the iPod that allows users to view and share photos, its most dramatic expansion yet. The new iPod Photo is a multimedia device with a color screen and comes with 40 gigabytes or 60 gigabytes of storage -- two to three times more than the storage available on its most used music player.

advertisement
The 40-gigabyte version sells for $499 and the 60-gigabyte model sells for $599, and are both immediately available.

Since the iPod's introduction in October 2001, Cupertino, California-based Apple has sold more than 6 million iPods, 2 million alone in Apple's most recent quarter.

"We think photos are the next big thing. Everyone has the content" because of the rapid proliferation of digital cameras among consumers "and there are no copyright issues," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said at a news conference.

"We think music plus photos is the next big thing," he said.

U2 Special Edition

CNBC
Apple also formally announced its deal with Irish rock band U2 to launch the iPod U2 Special Edition, a black edition of its popular digital music player that holds up to 5,000 songs.

The U2 iPod will sell for $349 and is expected to be available in mid-November.

The timing of the iPod release coincides with the upcoming release of the Dublin-based band's new album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." An Apple TV ad features new U2 song "Vertigo," a single from the album.

Apple has created the online music industry's first-of-its-kind "Digital Box Set." The first digital box set, "The Complete U2," will contain over 400 tracks including all of the band's albums. Fans will be able to purchase and download The Complete U2 with just one click on the iTunes Music Store in the United States and Europe beginning in late November for $149.

It might be worth it if you could actully TAKE pictures with the IPOD, but if its just for viewing them thats kinda pointless. Unless you are constantly going around showing people pictures i dont see why anyone would have any need for this....

Bennyb said:
It might be worth it if you could actully TAKE pictures with the IPOD, but if its just for viewing them thats kinda pointless. Unless you are constantly going around showing people pictures i dont see why anyone would have any need for this....

I was thinking that too.

It's awesome. But unfortunately it is waaaay too expensive.

Regular iPods are bad enough.

The U2 iPod looks awesome... too bad I hate U2. They should make it something cooler, like Lil John. That'd be badass.

The price will surely come down a bit in the near future, but the concept is fricking awesome. I love the look of the new U2 iPod also.

All I know, is there would be a lot of pr0n on my iPod if I had the new one... even though there already is on my 4G.

CreamySoupUSA said:
The U2 iPod looks awesome... too bad I hate U2. They should make it something cooler, like Lil John. That'd be badass.

I found a sticker in a magazine for a 4g ipod that is textured like a dollar bill except instead of a president, Loydd Banks is there :p

since it has a huge HD, its nice to store movies files on it. like divx/xvid dvdrips in avi format.

would be nice if the ipod photo played that, and had a video/audio out feature.

U2 rocks...

They revolutionized music as we know it. They're by far one of the most innovative bands of my time. Not nearly as revolutionary as The Beatles, or Led Zeppelin but still they are a good band.

The ipod on the other hand... Well I like the black part, but the red click wheel seems out of place. They should have made it black with white lettering, or white with black lettering. Red doesn't look good IMO.

Mojo said:
The ipod on the other hand... Well I like the black part, but the red click wheel seems out of place. They should have made it black with white lettering, or white with black lettering. Red doesn't look good IMO.
I agree, the the photo bit isn't that handy, unless it had a built in card reader. Flakey, irritating adapters are not very handy, and other players out there already have MP3, video, photos and card readers and if I really needed photos I'd want transfer ability in the unit.

i wonder if it will display the cd cover on the screen when the track plays. that would be cool

The iPod photo combined with a camera strikes me as a really bad idea. The quality would most likely be appalling, it would increase the price quite a bit, and it would be bigger... However, being able to connect it to a camera, or read memory cards, would be awesome. Imagine if you're a professional photographer and run out of space on your card... instead of bringing several, you can just load the pictures onto the iPod's rather huge hard drive. That'd be nice.

I agree, a camera built in would look like cell phone pics aka Horrible.

I do, however, think Apple should team up with Canon and make some decent Apple Branded Canon cameras that would sync with the new iPod.

I, however, am not getting one. I just got a new 3G, and that will be enough for me as I only listen to it three days a week and hardly feel the need to show people in the city pictures of my family.

The U2 iPod on the otherhand makes me want it, but I will not unless I find it on eBay.

It would be nice if you could transfer pictures directly from a digital camera to the iPod. Right now, you have to buy a $100 Belkin card reader that plugs into the iPod in order to do that. I would like a little mini-dock, included with the iPod, that simply converts the dock connector into a USB port so a regular digital camera can transfer pictures to it.

Seems pointless to me. Who cares about carrying pictures? It's no better than carrying movies. In order to see anything clearly you have to put them on a TV. It's funny, at the beginning of the event, Jobs said that the iMac is such a great design with the computer hidden behind the display, while almost three years ago he talked about how the iMac was such a great design for NOT having the computer behind the display. Maybe in a year or two, a video iPod will come out and he'll talk about how great it is?

It's also possible Apple is trying to take back the pr0n market. First they announce that the next version of Safari will have "private browsing," and now this. :D

Anyway... I don't see this being a big hit. Maybe among people with WAY too much money and WAY too much music, who NEED the 60 GB or really want the color screen and all that. It just doesn't make sense to me. The market for an iPod with photo capability is just so small.

Well, I for one wouldn't mind the full 60 gigs... One of the reasons I want an iPod is to carry large amounts of data here and there without having to burn CDs... and I have some 40-45 gigs of music. Considering I wouldn't put all of that on an iPod, I could just re-rip the CDs in Apple Lossless and have very good quality... :D

Awesome. ;)

Black Morty Rackham said:
Well, I for one wouldn't mind the full 60 gigs... One of the reasons I want an iPod is to carry large amounts of data here and there without having to burn CDs... and I have some 40-45 gigs of music. Considering I wouldn't put all of that on an iPod, I could just re-rip the CDs in Apple Lossless and have very good quality... :D

Awesome. ;)
yeah, but the price is absurd

As far as pictures go, my Palm does the same thing, but with a much bigger resolution (320x320 as opposed to 220x176). And i can listen to music on that, too. I've got a 20GB G3 iPod for more dedicated music, and i love it. Even though my the Palm doesn't have gobs and gobs of uber HDD space, it does have something that the iPod doesn't: removable storage. I'll agree with you guys and say that while the iPod Photo is cool, i wouldn't want one. i see it as a neat novelty item for people with very specific needs or lots of spending money. Apple must know where it wants to go with this, but i sure as heck don't see it!

Apple should team up with Canon and make some decent Apple Branded Canon cameras that would sync with the new iPod.
Why an Apple branded camera? Why not just a Canon camera? If it were Apple branded, it would be the same quality as a regular Canon, only you'd be paying extra for the Apple name. I don't know if this would be a very big market, and for people with existing cameras, i think it would make more sense just to sell a well designed card reader and an interface on the iPod that is capable enough to browse directories and copy what you need to copy from flash cards onto the HDD or the other way around.

Can anyone verify the rumor that the iPod photo can play video out to a tv plugged in through the headphone jack? If yes, what formats are compatible?

I will be more concern about the BATTERY other then its Cool Looking..As everyone knows colour LCD cost more power then b/w panel..

just think of cell phones these days, my old Ericsson 788 can last for more then a week standby, my new P800(retired),T630(still using), S700i(got it a wek ago). none of them last more then 5-6 days standby mode(with a bigger battery too)

fatbob_158 said:
i wonder if it will display the cd cover on the screen when the track plays. that would be cool
it can show the album art with the song title or full screen:
http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/gallery/photoplaying.html

Sinister6 said:
I will be more concern about the BATTERY other then its Cool Looking..As everyone knows colour LCD cost more power then b/w panel..
it says the batt life is 15 hours(1.5 times the 4g iPod), which is probaly why it is thicker.

I dont know about the slide show thing, that would be pretty cool. But it does do photo slide shows with music. It would work if you exported your slide show to png.

I will be waiting for a firmware update that will allow this will play video over the tv out (im sure at some point Apple will have component out adapter cable as the video is sent out through the dock connector), and allow you to attach your iSight to make it a video camera. (This may be possible via 3rd party because firewire is point-to-point). That would be frickin awesome.

Sinister6 said:

just think of cell phones these days, my old Ericsson 788 can last for more then a week standby, my new P800(retired),T630(still using), S700i(got it a wek ago). none of them last more then 5-6 days standby mode(with a bigger battery too)

omg you ahve the S700i? :eek: I want... I guess i'll just wait for the S710a since I bought my K700i a few months ago....

$100 more for viewing photos is bullshit IMO. Yes, it's color, but it's useless color. Photos on a 2-inch screen are not worth that money.
Now if the thing played some sort of video, that would be worthy. Although the screen is still too small.

BTW, I love Apple, and I have one of those 2G 10gig iPods. It's nearing the end of its life, but it is the greatest thing I own.

Oh, BTW, if you guys actually check the apple website, most assumptions/questions are cleared up.
Battery now lasts up to 15 hours on the photoPods, up from 12 on the reg 4g.
It can show album art.

And someone mentioned component video-out... that's silly. Not all DVD players have that yet.

well it saids 15 hrs..but. but.. but... i dont know man..the battery of mine die really fast. now up to 6 hrs only.. (3rd gen 20G)

synergyo1 said:
omg you ahve the S700i? :eek: I want... I guess i'll just wait for the S710a since I bought my K700i a few months ago....

(OT) hehe, im a diehard Ericsson Fans. Function/performance/technology over the outlook and style. The only non-ericsson phone i even bought for pass 9 years..is a nokia 8850.. and it suck a$$.. hate the MICROWAVE effect when u talk too long..

(OT) hehe, im a diehard Ericsson Fans. Function/performance/technology over the outlook and style. The only non-ericsson phone i even bought for pass 9 years..is a nokia 8850.. and it suck a$$.. hate the MICROWAVE effect when u talk too long..

I have been a Sony Ericsson fan since the T68i.. I wish I still have that phone. Must... get... S700i... or V800...

Hey i have a T100.. it works great on my cars anti-theft system...

anyways. so anyone is hitting it? $599 MSRP.. 2 of those can get an iBook, 3 of them for a Powerbook.. oh well..i dont know guys..personally i wont get them. overpricing a bit is acceptable, way over-priced is a little.. hmm :eek:

synergyo1 said:
Can't expect much from the low end phones.
You don't mean iPod's standard earphones, do you?
Those are the best stock earphones that come with any players of any type. Neodeum drivers and very clean sound. Bass is quite nice as well.
They just tend to start breaking after about a year :( eg the wire cover disattaches at the split, and the membranes start crackling.
Otherwise, those are the greatest stock headphones I've ever heard.

Kriz, he meant Ericsson T300 cell phone..

Anyways. Im using Sony MDR-EX71 ear bud right now for my iPod. one reason is they came in white colour. also its the top of the line Sony Ear Bud. 2nd reason is those damn apple stock headphone screw up so damn fast. the spliting areas plastic breaks within 3 months from the time i purchase. a lot of friends headphone did the same thing..

krizzle said:
You don't mean iPod's standard earphones, do you?
Those are the best stock earphones that come with any players of any type. Neodeum drivers and very clean sound. Bass is quite nice as well.
They just tend to start breaking after about a year :( eg the wire cover disattaches at the split, and the membranes start crackling.
Otherwise, those are the greatest stock headphones I've ever heard.

I was talking about the SE T300.. not the iPod earbuds :)

Considering its lack of supporting features, like a camera or flash media reader, the color screen is kind of like a screen door on a submarine. Its a pretty useless feature.

Back