iPod Touch dummy here...

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't have them, but my two kids do. I need something SIMPLE, EASY, to just drag and drop mp3's onto these iPod Touches I just gave them for Christmas. itunes sucks, and that is that, so don't try and change my mind on that one :D

So what software will allow me to use these things like a plain old mp3 player, so that I can open the drive on the Touch, and drag a file into or out of it from my own hard drive...

not sure if you can. you might be able to by jailbreaking. It wont be as easy as "download this software, plug in the ipod, drag and drop" though.

...you could drag and drop with iTunes though. I have no idea why people are against it either. If you know how to use it right, it's great for library management.

iPod touches are great for their wifi capabilities, but that comes at a price. That is that you have to bite the bullet and use itunes. I hate that POS bloatware garbage that apple makes you use but I haven't found any other way. It is as easy as drag and drop, but through their crapware and not through windows.

Whether you hate iTunes or not, it’s the best available solution to your problem.

I avoided iTunes and idevices for a pretty long time but got a couple devices in the last year and started using iTunes and frankly I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's a big program that does a whole bunch of stuff, at worst I think you can blame apple for putting too many things in one program but splitting it up would make things much worse. It is really just the easiest way to get things on your device.

Well, I did figure out a couple things. First, don't use auto sync. Second, I did not realize you could drag and drop from the library over to the ipod icon in the left side...duh.

It's livable now. Just minor irritation until I figured out a few things. Thanks for the suggestions, I tried sharepod but it did not recognize my touch. Weird.

I may still jailbreak them once I read up on it.

Also under file import you can grab a whole folder of songs somewhere and copy them into the iTunes library at once.

I'm using the keep organized feature in iTunes and it jeeps the itunes lib nicely organized and tagged. Initially I was worried about giving it control and I still keep a separate backup of unmolested files but it has been good so far.

First, don't use auto sync.

Absolutely. Unless you have a device that can hold your entire library, that feature is not very helpful. Having to check all of the songs that you want on your iPod is stupid. I think they expect most people to build playlists and just sync those. I don't use it and probably never will.

I may still jailbreak them once I read up on it.

Jailbreak is super easy to do. Despite what people say, it won't really void your warranty as long as you can load the normal firmware back up before taking it to apple (speaking from experience). And if you decide that you want to un-jailbreak it, just restore the device with iTunes.

A quarrel that I have with iTunes is that when you edit a song's information (song title, artist, etc.) within iTunes it won't change the actual MP3 tag in the mp3 file itself. Instead, it keeps a library file in your itunes folder that stores all of the edited information and changes. So I still use a tag editor to load up album art and things like that.

Another thing would be lack of FLAC support. I haven't used Apple loss less, but I would hate for a better device than an iPod to come along some day and me have to convert an entire library's worth of songs because it doesn't support Apple loss less.

...Just some things to be aware of.

yup.. dont ever use auto sync if you want to manage your library manually. the only thing that irritates me with itunes is I can't use other computer that my idevices tied to. not sure if there's a work around with that

What irritated me bad was that, I had a list of songs already on the Touch for my daughter. Then we got a few more, added them to the library....only checked the NEW ones that had not been added to the Touch yet...then "synced"...boom...it wiped out the songs that were already on there. Somehow my wife ended up buying an album 3x....wtf?

Anyway, manual sync works fine. And I am going to jailbreak my son's unit, since he wants to load some apps that are not from the official store.

Thanks again for the input. The units themselves are quite spiffy.

Back