Ipod turns on, display works, buttons do not

shocksyde

2[H]4U
Very odd problem I'm having with a 4th generation click-wheel ipod...

The ipod will turn on when i flip the hold switch to off, as normal. But when I go to select anything, none of the buttons work. Obviously, at this point the hold button is off, so I know it's not that.

Now at first I though, "Oh, great. The click wheel is shot." But then i tried holding the two buttons that restart the ipod (menu and the center button, i think) and the ipod reset. SO, the buttons DO work, just not completely.

I also know the display isn't frozen or anything because when i toggle the hold switch the lock icon appears and disappears on the screen.

I've reinstalled the latest ipod update, and restored the ipod (returns to factory settings). All songs/settings were deleted, etc.

Still, the ipod will turn on, but the buttons will not work.

Anyone have any clue what's wrong? I'm not a fan of $300 paperweights.

sorry forgot to mention, the ipod is 2 years old, so it's not under warranty anymore.

i do not have any sort of applecare or extended warranty, either.

try the built in diagnostic. reset the ipod and while the apple logo is on the screen
hold the center button and the left button at the same time like you do for the reset. You should see the apple logo flip backwards, once it does that it should have a diagnostic check listed in there for the click wheel.

Javelin3o4 said:
try the built in diagnostic. reset the ipod and while the apple logo is on the screen
hold the center button and the left button at the same time like you do for the reset. You should see the apple logo flip backwards, once it does that it should have a diagnostic check listed in there for the click wheel.
....can you do that for the 3rd gen, if so...what buttons?

good knowledge for future reference.

ps. if the click wheel is broken, then I doubt he can get into the diag, let alone reset it.

and if that doesn't work
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPod-4G-4...ryZ48680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
have fun.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah, for some reason i am able to reset the ipod, but not able to get into diagnostics mode.

it just seems really odd to me that none of the buttons work to select a song or travel through menus, yet i'm able to hold select and menu and the ipod will reset.

what in tarnations is going on here.

Back