iPods internal temp?

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
So today I was playing in the diagnostics mode, and I saw that my iPod had a seemingly insane temp.
DRV TEMP:
CUR: 28C (82F)
MIN: 17C (62F)
MAX: 76C (168F)
How can this be possible? 76C?
Or is this totally normal and I am just overly worried?

edit: Put the Fahrenheit conversions in

It's probably just a weird reading from the sensor. I highly doubt there is a widespread heat problem or else Apple would be hearing about it. And if it does fail, you can get a shiny new one under warranty :)

Maybe Im not understanding your post but doesnt it say the current temp is 82F? That 72C is probably just the spec for where it will turn off. Not sure however.

Well, it is possible that that is the temp it shuts off at. Can anyone with a 4G verify?
But if that is not the kill temp, how would it get so hot?

edit: steps to verify
Hold 'Menu' and 'Select' till iPod shuts off
Hold 'Previous' and 'Select' when you see the apple.
Wait till you see a screen that says your diag version.
Press Play, Previous (twice, so you are on 'DRV TEMP'), Select, then a screen should come up with temps.

40gb 4g

cur:35c
Min: 22C
Max: 70C

edit: the case does seem warm after using the disk for awhile.

Hrrm so I guess I am not the only one.
Sense it is so common, I guess it is nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys

Is this a 4G thing only, or is there any way i can get a temp reading on my 3G 20GB iPod?

I am not sure, but you can play around in the debug menu.
You reset (menu and pause?) your iPod, and when you see the apple logo you hold "Previous", "Next", and "Action"

I wouldn't bother checking it.

An iPod is like a laptop...once you find out how hot the internals are, you'll be paranoid about it from now on. It's best to just not worry about it.

Torquemada XP said:
I wouldn't bother checking it.

An iPod is like a laptop...once you find out how hot the internals are, you'll be paranoid about it from now on. It's best to just not worry about it.

Goes to fridge, gets out box of eggs....

:)

L

edit: Oh bugger.. this is the apple forum...errr, too late to change that to an iBook?

Back