IPS 3 way shoot out! ML249H vs U2311H vs LG IPS236V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ataraxey

n00b
EDIT** Realized the 249H is apparently NOT an IPS it seems? Switched that to the 239H as it's an IPS**

Hey everyone, i currently have the Dell SP2309W monitor. I primarily do gaming on my computer, and love the crazy 2048x1152 resolution on this one, but am not too worried about lowering it to 1920x1080 for the better overall display.

I love it, but am looking at getting a good IPS below $400 and have finally come to 3 different ones to try and decide between them. I've done a lot of reading on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk but still cant really see which one i want to look at.

The ML239H seems like a fantastic display from ASUS, but the unchangeable height seems like it might be annoying/bad. Overall this is probly my front runner.

The Dell U2311H is an awesome display, my good friend owns one already and i love using his whenever i go over. I also love my current Dell monitor and already love their warranty. I also love the stand and adjustable height. He got it on sale from Dell ebay for like $199 though and i dont think i could get one for that good of a price?

The LG IPS236V shares the same panel with the Dell it seems, so they're very similar except the LG has the backlight (is that good or bad? I do game a in the dark sometimes in my apartment, would this hurt it?) The stand also looks kind of cheap/weak. The only reason this one is really here is because we sell it at my work and i can get the monitor for around $180 including tax!

Any help is appreciated! As well as any other good IPS displays for gaming (so lower input lag the better! Anything over 15 seconds seems like it would be noticeable...)

Last edited:
I have the U2311H and have no complaints with it, although i got it for significantly less.

Honestly, any of those three would do well, it seems like your budget is the biggest constraint and deciding factor.

The IPS236V is actually very slow and will ghost more than the U2311H

Both the Dell and LG use the aggressive AG coating which makes whites and light colors look dirty/grainy and dulled.

The Asus ML239H IPS does not use the same coating, but is not height adjustable.

Honestly I wouldn't bother if you like your 2309.

Hrm, i see. Are there any other IPS panels you would suggest around my price range? maybe the NEC EA232WMi?

Also, the 15 ms response time seems lengthy on the ASUS. Will it be noticeable?

All of the IPS panels except for the Asus use the same coating, and they are all slow except for the Asus and U2311H. Click on the Asus link above and see for yourself that it is fast

All of the IPS panels except for the Asus use the same coating, and they are all slow except for the Asus and U2311H. Click on the Asus link above and see for yourself that it is fast

I've checked out both links for the ASUS and the Dell one, the dell's response time is 10.5ms and the ASUS is 15ish. Nothing huge, but i'd like to learn a bit more about the coating that the Dell apparently uses.

From the viewing angle shots the ASUS looks a lot more vibrant from the front but again, i use a Das Keyboard and like to sit low in my chair so im a bit worried i would actually not see the bottom of my screen since it's so low?

Asus coating is lighter but however has the same type to all IPS, is not medium coating like TN.
It's slightly less grainy and dirty average like as well as HP, but the negative effects are there !

However Asus ML239H have a very low contrast ratio, 200:1.

Last edited:

Oh you mean input lag. TFT Centrals input lag testing method outdated, inacurate and wrong.

PRAD.de measured the Asus to have around 2ms of input lag, same with the DELL. One thing to note is like Senna states, the Asus PRAD.de tested did have a 200:1 contrast ratio, which is beyond terrible.

LG makes all of the IPS panels and the quality control is terrible. Screens can come tintinted, with extreme amounts of backlight bleed, and 2 of the same model can have completely different contrast ratios. Just make sure if you get the Asus you can get it from somewhere with a good return policy.

Still I wouldn't bother buying anything if your 2309 works and doesn't have lots of back light bleeding.

The Dell U2311H is an awesome display, my good friend owns one already and i love using his whenever i go over. I also love my current Dell monitor and already love their warranty. I also love the stand and adjustable height. He got it on sale from Dell ebay for like $199 though and i dont think i could get one for that good of a price?

If you like the display after seeing it, you can safely ignore the advice concerning the AG coating. It can be a problem for some people, but seeing as how you've already seen and used the U2311h (and loved it) then I would say the AG coating is not a problem for you. The issue AG coating is personal; it bothers some people, it doesn't for others. If I didn't have AG coating on my monitors, I'd go crazy.

Quality control and cost are the concerns that would be most relevant to you. If it makes any difference to you, I've had three U2311H and I absolutely love the two I still use. $199 is a tall order, but it has been down to $229 multiple times from Dell. (And $139 for a few hours, but don't count on that!)

yes but TFTCentral.UKsay that Ml239H had a very good contrast ratio around 750 - 800:1
overclocker.ru say 300-350:1
and PRAD.de only 200:1

:rolleyes:

If you like the display after seeing it, you can safely ignore the advice concerning the AG coating. It can be a problem for some people, but seeing as how you've already seen and used the U2311h (and loved it) then I would say the AG coating is not a problem for you. The issue AG coating is personal; it bothers some people, it doesn't for others. If I didn't have AG coating on my monitors, I'd go crazy.

Quality control and cost are the concerns that would be most relevant to you. If it makes any difference to you, I've had three U2311H and I absolutely love the two I still use. $199 is a tall order, but it has been down to $229 multiple times from Dell. (And $139 for a few hours, but don't count on that!)

Yeah! 2311H brothers! Woo!

if u wait after summer, in september in the marker there are the new Dell U2312HM and the new Asus PA238Q ( very good, quality of Proart series in low cost not like ml239H, its only a cheaper toy ) :)

And will enter in the market the new S-PLS panel, the perfect solution anti-IPS by Samsung.
Color quality of IPS + ultra glossy Ag coating = perfection :eek:
it will be in 2 versions : 27" 16:10 .....and 24" 16:9 ( :eek: ) The 27" modell will enter in july 20, the 24" after.

i have 3 2311s right now and I love them. Color is good, input latency is great. Good monitors. I replaced an old 2405fp with them

u like u2311h ? i think that u like it because u have any glare or lighter ag coating to compare it.

If you like the display after seeing it, you can safely ignore the advice concerning the AG coating. It can be a problem for some people, but seeing as how you've already seen and used the U2311h (and loved it) then I would say the AG coating is not a problem for you. The issue AG coating is personal; it bothers some people, it doesn't for others.
I agree. People who are really sensitive to a more aggressive AG coating are in a minority, albeit a very vocal one. If you liked the Dell, I'd say go for it. Those upcoming PLS monitors will not be in the same price range and there are no guarantees they will be actually better.

I agree. People who are really sensitive to a more aggressive AG coating are in a minority, albeit a very vocal one. If you liked the Dell, I'd say go for it. Those upcoming PLS monitors will not be in the same price range and there are no guarantees they will be actually better.

Yes and for u the minority people are noobs or insignificant ?
Most people havent any other monitor to compare it, and cant see the difference.
I had LG and Dell IPS monitor ( ips226v and u2311h ) and the AG coating in both monitors is horrible !
The photos had a better color but was grained and the glitter effect in the photos is totally delete and text was blurres.

U are only Dell fanboy, PLS in practise is a copy of IPS but with semi glossy coating ( ligher than usually VA coating ).

Yes and for u the minority people are noobs or insignificant ?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I mean is that very few people are actually bothered by the more aggressive AG. I have a HP ZR24w, a Samsung PVA panel and a glossy TN of my laptop all next to each other. I can see the differences in AG but from a normal working distance, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have zero trouble with text and no eye strain whatsoever. And yet in every single thread concerning any matte IPS there are always the same people pointing out how horrible the AG coating is and how it makes text unreadable. It's only on these forums that a person looking for a high resolution 27" / 30" IPS display can end up being recommended a low res glossy TN instead ;) I'm not saying a stronger AG should be acceptable for everyone, just that the majority of the people are fine with it. Similar to how I'm extremely sensitive to the parallax effect of PVA panels caused by the gamma shift but I'm in a very small minority and most people will never even notice it and/or care.

The ZR24W coating is less than usually like Asus, but i think you cant dont see that some photos no longer have never of the its glitter effect :eek:
Totally pale like to pass to lucid papar to rough paper, and this is horrible for me, if u like it, i cant say never, but some people hate this thing and is not a factor that u correct whit distance as u say.
The New Samsusng S-PLS panels will correct this thing, because LG is too idiot to do.

Last edited:
More like they are neither blind nor extreme IPS fanboys.

More like they are neither blind nor extreme IPS fanboys.

In this ambiguous and nonsensical post are you accusing Walker and I of being fanboys? Why are you here, if you lack the plurality of brain cells required to critically absorb others' posts?

Shouldn't you go back to the other forums you visit where your grasp of facts isn't challenged?

This is not a dictatorship, what like you, not good for others.
this problem there'snt in TN or VA monitors, why ? the coating is too aggressive even if you do not see.

NOTE : IPS236V is extreme slow and have a low contrast ratio.

There has been photographic evidence on this forum which clearly shows how the AG coating degrades text and image quality. White is no longer white, light colors are grainy and blurred.

LCD was a 100% step back in terms of image quality from CRT, the unecessary AG coating, used by LG adds another 100%. Confusing people by saying the AG is fine is backwards, admiting that it dosnt bother YOU or can't see it would be better.

There is no need for such a degree of AG coating. If it truly was not an issue then why would samsung use semi-gloss coating on their upcoming displays? Why does only LG use the aggressive AG?

There has been photographic evidence on this forum which clearly shows how the AG coating degrades text and image quality. White is no longer white, light colors are grainy and blurred.

Where is the photographic evidence for these claims, NCX?

LCD was a 100% step back in terms of image quality from CRT

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim, especially given by the broad replacement of CRTs with LCDs in every colour critical imaging industry.

the unecessary AG coating, used by LG adds another 100%.
Why are you using hyperbole, NCX?

Confusing people by saying the AG is fine is backwards, admiting that it dosnt bother YOU or can't see it would be better.

Practice what you preach, NCX.

There is no need for such a degree of AG coating.
Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim.

If it truly was not an issue then why would samsung use semi-gloss coating on their upcoming displays?

Samsung engineers their display coatings, particularly on TVs, to appear contrasty at the point of purchase.

Why does only LG use the aggressive AG?

Because it is very effective in high-glare environments.

Classic IPS fanboy troll post. You have participated in the threads with the photos. LCD is more practical in work enviroments than CRT. LCD WAS a step back, notice the use of past tense, still this does not change that fact that it is still catching up in terms of image quality.

I didn't realize this was such a sensitive matter that activates troll overdrive. Ok I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

All IPS panels have the best image quality ever. The purest whites, deepest blacks and image clairty can only be found on IPS. AG coating? More like super text clarity!

Last edited:
consider this a warning...

Rule # 1 from the rules
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Last edited:
Classic IPS fanboy troll post

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim, laced with invective, as expected from someone who lacks a logical argument.

I use an EV2333W, by the way.
LCD is more practical in work enviroments than CRT. LCD WAS a step back, notice the use of past tense, still this does not change that fact that it is still catching up in terms of image quality.

Classic inconsistency. You said that
NCX said:
LCD was a 100% step back in terms of image quality from CRT
which you have indicated that you were considering the past, yet in the same claim, you linked
NCX said:
the unecessary AG coating,used by LG adds another 100%
which is a present topic.

still this does not change that fact that it is still catching up in terms of image quality.

Classic lack of specificity. In what ways, NCX?

I didn't realize this was such a sensitive matter that activates troll overdrive.

What is such a sensitive matter that activates "troll overdrive", NCX?
Ok I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

Classic erroneous preconception.

All IPS panels have the best image quality ever.
The purest whites, deepest blacks and image clairty can only be found on IPS. AG coating? More like super text clarity!

NCX said:
View Post

Where is the photographic evidence for these claims, NCX?

NCX said:
View Post
There is no need for such a degree of AG coating.

Note: no response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back