IR Reciever?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
My new keyboard requires a "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Infared Reciever." What exactly is this, and how much will one cost me?

Well, what the hell? You mean to tell me I have to pay $40 so I can use my $80 keyboard?! What kind of ripoff is this? :mad: :mad: :mad:

MasterOfTheHat said:
What kind of wireless keyboard comes without the receiver?
An $80 Microsoft one obviously. I thought that for 80 figgin dollars they would at least include a reciever.

Media Center PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 or later
Windows Media Center IR Receiver (not included, part of the Microsoft MCE Remote)

it was all there

I ordered from newegg...which said absoloutely nothing about it being not included :(

My fault for not researching it I guess, but this is the first time Newegg has let me down. I never would have bought this thing if I knew about that, and the restock fee to return it would be half the cost of that remote. Guess I'll be shelling out another $40.

InorganicMatter said:
I ordered from newegg...which said absoloutely nothing about it being not included :(

My fault for not researching it I guess, but this is the first time Newegg has let me down. I never would have bought this thing if I knew about that, and the restock fee to return it would be half the cost of that remote. Guess I'll be shelling out another $40.

as i recall on the newegg page it says that they keyboard only works with windows MCE, and considering if you do have MCE then you would have the reciever.

InorganicMatter said:
Well, what the hell? You mean to tell me I have to pay $40 so I can use my $80 keyboard?! What kind of ripoff is this? :mad: :mad: :mad:
An acceptable one. MS assumes that you are using MCE with their MCE keyboard which is suppose to have an MCE remote which is then assumed that you'll have the MCE IR blaster since thats the only one that can work with MCE.

I don't see the problem.
spotdog14 said:
as i recall on the newegg page it says that they keyboard only works with windows MCE, and considering if you do have MCE then you would have the reciever.
Exactly but others have got it working in SageTV, some in Meedio (there was a plugin for the keyboard) and I think even Beyond TV and Myth have support for it. I should mention this is under XP but even then you still need the MCE remote kit.

CrimandEvil said:
Wait... you spend $80 on it when PC Alchemy has it for $60?
I'm new to all this OK? I didn't know that there was a special discount HTPC store. Had I known, I'm sure I would have bought all my stuff from there.

valve1138 said:
There's full support in SageTV now.
Wow, nice. I should go ahead and pick one of these then.
http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19622
InorganicMatter said:
I'm new to all this OK? I didn't know that there was a special discount HTPC store. Had I known, I'm sure I would have bought all my stuff from there.
It's cool, you'll quickly learn that when it comes to HTPC stuff Newegg tends to really suck.

All right, Best Buy pulls through! Cost me a few bucks more, but I'm typing this from my HTPC via that keyboard. This rocks...:D

CrimandEvil said:
An acceptable one. MS assumes that you are using MCE with their MCE keyboard which is suppose to have an MCE remote which is then assumed that you'll have the MCE IR blaster since thats the only one that can work with MCE.
Hmmm... My friend just bought me a Harmony 880. If I buy this, http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_in...enter-edition-2005-1pk-oem/cName/mce-software
will it come with a remote? Also, you said that that specific IR receiver is the only one that works with MCE?

Thats just the software, you still need the remote. MCE will only work with specific IR recievers, you can't build your own or use an IR blaster. The one that comes with the remote or similar ones (built into cases, one that comes with the new Hauppauge cards, most of the ones that comes with 550 tuners and that one I posted above) work.

Soooo. I can't just flat out buy the receiver? I gotta buy some other crap with it?

Back