Iran Builds AMD Based Supercomputer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Normally, building a supercomputer using AMD processors is a shiny-happy story that brings nerdtastic joy to one and all. Well, unless the country is Iran, then you need to issue press releases and denials.

The Iranian High Performance Computing Research Center (IHPCRC), which is located at Tehran's Amirkabir University of Technology, said in an undated announcement on its Web site that it has assembled a Linux-based system with 216 Opteron processing cores.

Unless this computer can locate terrorists, they should have spent the money on food.:eek:

Title typo
Iran Build AMD Based Supercomputer

Iran Builds AMD Based Supercomputer

I don't see a problem with this as there are thousands of legitimate businesses and study programs in Iran. Iran isn't such a bad country if you discount their government and extremists.

Good, then we'll know we can always beat them by building one with Intel processors.

I can hear HE WHO CANNOT BE NAMED OR ILL BE BANNED now..." In order to prevent WWIII we must stop the Iran from obtaining the knowledge to build AMD supercomputers. " :eek::rolleyes::p

Sounds like Iran is going to figure out a way to outsmart the Zionists..:rolleyes:

One can't help but take a few jabs at this one... First off, this has got to be a PR nightmare, imagine a missle headed toward you with the big logo "Powered by AMD" printed on the outside of it (or "AMD inside"). Second, if the barcelona launch is any indication, Intel could say that it will be several more years (if ever) before Iran can create a nuclear missle. I guess it would be deemed a "weapon of mass distraction." I can't help but wonder what the TLB errata bug would do to a nuke? Honestly none of this is AMD's fault exactly, and it may have perfectly legitimate uses, but life is funny sometimes... I can wait to see how AMD's pr people try to spin this... Perhaps the barcelona launch was botched becaust they didn't want the Iranians to get it... Let the fun begin!

or perhaps when AMD denied the stop ship of Barcelona's saying they were still "shipping to specific large customers", they were specifically speaking of Iran (the only country desperate enough and the only suckers AMD could convince to buy into these).....perhaps the Errata bug will cause the nukes to suddenly return home after being launched.....or will cause them to detonate in the silos, or will keep them from ever completing said project...:p

i love how people say they could spend their money on more important things....

couldn't the US take page from that book? look at their spiraling military costs....how many homeless/poor families are there in the states?

i love how people say they could spend their money on more important things....

couldn't the US take page from that book? look at their spiraling military costs....how many homeless/poor families are there in the states?

HMM, why don't they get a job, compare our minimum wage with their's. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Iran will soon be invaded on the pretence they possess computers of mass enumeration. Soon after we will find out Iran was only using a single core solution.:p

Wrong there are programs out there to help people that need it. YOu need food and are unemployed there is food stamps. there are plenty of stuff like this in the country

Compare that type(socia welfare) of spending in Iran, US, China, Russia, and you'll see it pales in comparison with spending for the military.

I guess Christmas came early for Intel this year. The only thing that I can imagine that would be worse is if Michael Vick wore a big PetCo T-shirt to his sentencing today... Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for AMD, the "Greatest Threat in the Middle East" (Iran) is bragging about using AMD products. The PR just writes itself for Intel. The computer is reported to be used for weather forcasting, which is not necessarily a bad allocation of resources, but I guess we will see what it ends up being used for...

I don't see a problem with this as there are thousands of legitimate businesses and study programs in Iran. Iran isn't such a bad country if you discount their government and extremists.

What's wrong with their government? What's an extremist?

HMM, why don't they get a job, compare our minimum wage with their's. :rolleyes:

thats a good question....why don't they get a job?...maybe because they don't want to work at Micky D's, or work and still have no money. minimum wage isn't THAT much....then you've got health care costs...

just because someone has a job in a developed world doesn't really mean that much anymore....why do you think there is such a mortgage problem in the States right now? fore closers left right and center....

instead of spending BILLIONS and being in a different country from where they SHOULD be (see: Afghanistan) they would be better spent sending that money into making sure everyone has the basics in their own country....or at the very least...decent health care

Well FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Iran with AMD procs.... this is just great... what next???

I can see someone of the political fence ranting about this...

*News headline reads*

Iran uses AMD CPU's to run nuking simulations on america...

[RIP]Zeus;1031779534 said:
Well FUCK!!!!!!!!!

*News headline reads*

"This is Bill O'reilly for Fox News - we've got a breaking headline" LMFAO!!! :D

It's called...

Nuclear Simulations.

I'm sure they'll tell us they need the computing power to work on baby formula or to plan the ultimate wedding party.

[RIP]Zeus;1031779534 said:
Well FUCK!!!!!!!!!

*News headline reads*

*News Headline*

"Due to TLB Errata, Iran has discontinued nuclear research due to system locks."

thats a good question....why don't they get a job?...maybe because they don't want to work at Micky D's, or work and still have no money. minimum wage isn't THAT much....then you've got health care costs...

just because someone has a job in a developed world doesn't really mean that much anymore....why do you think there is such a mortgage problem in the States right now? fore closers left right and center....

instead of spending BILLIONS and being in a different country from where they SHOULD be (see: Afghanistan) they would be better spent sending that money into making sure everyone has the basics in their own country....or at the very least...decent health care

C'mon Micheal Moore. Do not make me contradict everything you said.

Working at McDonalds would at least give you some food, and 7.50 an hour would get you a house, at least around here, higher living costs elsewhere, but also higher minimum wage in those places.

Would you rather spend billions protecting the soldiers with food and armor they need or on another supercomputer or on free health care even for the unemployed bums that get assaulted for stealing another boozers booze and want emergency medical attention?

Please do not become another armchair president, the current one is fine.

While testing a terrorist-locating supercomputer based on AMD CPUs, Iran *accidently* set off a nuclear warhead caused by a race condition. Blames AMD, sues for $10 gazillion.

just because someone has a job in a developed world doesn't really mean that much anymore....why do you think there is such a mortgage problem in the States right now? fore closers left right and center...."

there is alot more to this then what meets the eye. You have to take into account that the banks and lenders were giving out loans left and right to people that would have normally not have gotten loans. Even the ones that would have gotten one, figuring HOW much that person could afford was not considered. I mean a person making say 2k a month is not going to be able to afford a house payment of 1k....

Mc D's does pay somewhat decent. Heck I even worked there when i really had to .

Working at McDonalds would at least give you some food, and 7.50 an hour would get you a house, at least around here, higher living costs elsewhere, but also higher minimum wage in those places.

Would you rather spend billions protecting the soldiers with food and armor they need or on another supercomputer or on free health care even for the unemployed bums that get assaulted for stealing another boozers booze and want emergency medical attention?

Take your own advice.

I guess Christmas came early for Intel this year. The only thing that I can imagine that would be worse is if Michael Vick wore a big PetCo T-shirt to his sentencing today... Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for AMD, the "Greatest Threat in the Middle East" (Iran) is bragging about using AMD products. The PR just writes itself for Intel. The computer is reported to be used for weather forcasting, which is not necessarily a bad allocation of resources, but I guess we will see what it ends up being used for...

Well... It is in the Middle East... Not much precipitation to forecast... I also believe it will stay hot for 365 days a year.

Sounds like Iran is going to figure out a way to outsmart the Zionists..:rolleyes:

Why do you think they didn't use Intel Processors?

The latest Core and Xeons are from an Israeli design team.

There's no way they would give any kind of legitimacy to Israel.

1. 50 systems is now a super computer? I think someone needs to come up with a better definition cause I don't consider a 50 node cluster a super computer. I guess a '50 node cluster' and a 'supercomputer' don't have the same headline... either would a story that didn't link Iran to Nukes? Cause I'm sure that is what ever cluster is used for.

2. This is a socket940 system... barcelona jokes make no sense.

3. Joking how they're spending money on this instead of other things look at how much the USA is spending on our military to waste time and look at how well our education system or healthcare system is going. We should thank Iran for being a little more fucked up than us. This way we have no reason to improve!

well, while we're name calling, i'll simply refer to you as "Bill O"

you seem to miss my point....$7.50 is not making a living....that is barely getting by. yes you may be able to have a house....but you're not going to make a living...you're going to be part of the working poor - you know, the group that would need the money more than haliburton.

i've worked for 7.50...and i can tell you right now, it was the most depressing years of my life. it's fine for students - but for an adult its not a way to live. then try adding kids....and 7.50 is NOT going to be acceptable.

and would i want to protect the soldiers? HELL YEAH....but you also have to ask yourself, or would you rather someone use them for their own agenda?

and i love how you make unemployed people bums all of a sudden. now they're the lowest of the low. i think you're view is seriously out of whack. try living the way these people do, then come back and we'll talk.

and to go back on track here.....what you're saying is EXACTLY my original point. if Iran is paying money for a supercomputer (for whatever reason - doesn't have to be for bad) that it is taking away money from their population. what is so different between that and the States with their war in Iraq? I don't see anything that is different except that the supercomputer for Iran could actually in tern help it's citizens.

Back