Is 100Hz. a must for a HDTV as a PC monitor?

drtc

Limp Gawd
Hi all!
Planning to get a HDTV, which will most of the times be used as a PC monitor.
I have heard from sales gyus that in order to display PC text correctly, with no fuzz and what, the HDTV must be100Hz.
In other words that non 100Hz models are not PC compatible...
Is this true?
I would appreciate your opinions especially from people who have first hand experience with a HDTV, 100Hz or not, as a PC monitor.
I'm interested in colour reproduction/clibration as much as possible, and TEXT.
Thanks in advance.
Note: this is going to serve as a SECOND PC display. For video overlays, and many other reasons. I do have both LCD and CRT as main PC monitors, and will not replace them!

no. Most LCD's created last year (like 90%) were 60hz, your computer LCD is 60hz as well. you should be able to connect via hdmi thru dvi-to-hdmi and have perfect picture.

I have heard from sales gyus that in order to display PC text correctly, with no fuzz and what, the HDTV must be100Hz.
In other words that non 100Hz models are not PC compatible...
Is this true?

Completely wrong in many ways.

1. There are no 100Hz models - they are probably talking about 120Hz models, which they probably get a larger commission from, so they say anything to make you buy them.

2. The Hz of a TV has nothing whatsoever to do with compatibility with a PC. A 120Hz TV doesn't even get 120Hz from a computer - a 120Hz TV will only take 60Hz from a computer, DVD player or any other source. For movies, the TV will then add duplicate frames to make the picture 120Hz. But never mind that, because it has nothing to do with whether it will work with a PC.

3. They are right that many TVs do not display text correctly, but it has nothing to do with Hz. TVs process the image with edge smoothing, artifact removal, and by making the screen brighter when it is displaying a dark image. All of these things make movies look great but also makes PC text look bad. Some TVs allow you to turn some of these features off, but only a few specific TVs allow all of it to be turned off. Assume that unless proven otherwise, an HDTV won't allow all video processing to be turned off.

Do some research here and, better, at avsforums.com to find out which TVs allow ALL video processing to be turned off for PC use. And don't listen to those sales guys - they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

They are lying through their teeth!
None of the 100/120Hz HDTVs for sale at the moment can take a 100/120Hz input.
Current TVs generate interpolated frames to make the image smoother from a max 60Hz signal at full res.

60Hz is fine on LCD for PC.
Only serious gamers, those wanting to use 3D or those wanting 24p support without having to change res need a higher refresh rate.

ps some UK HDTVs have 100Hz

AFAIK turning on 100/120 Hz significantly raises the input lag :(

Completely wrong in many ways.
3. They are right that many TVs do not display text correctly, but it has nothing to do with Hz. TVs process the image with edge smoothing, artifact removal, and by making the screen brighter when it is displaying a dark image. All of these things make movies look great but also makes PC text look bad. Some TVs allow you to turn some of these features off, but only a few specific TVs allow all of it to be turned off. Assume that unless proven otherwise, an HDTV won't allow all video processing to be turned off.

Do some research here and, better, at avsforums.com to find out which TVs allow ALL video processing to be turned off for PC use.
Thanks all for your prompt replies.

I shall look in avsforms, but does anyone here know of a specific HDTV that will allow turning off ALL video enhancements and processing, leaving it as a pc monitor?
Otherwise, a "tried and true" HDTV that works well as a pc monitor?
Looking for a: 32" and 40",46", (yes, gonna get two, a small and a big one...)

btw what the sales guy said is that "text is way clearer and usable on 100Hz models..."

As long as the TV can turn off overscan and you can run at the panels native res, text will likely be fine.
Lag is a different matter.
100/120Hz cannot improve text.

Back