Is 52C too high for a AMD 2400+ Thouroughbred

BuddhaRage

n00b
The computer keeps restarting or shutting down for some reason. Do you think it's because of the cpu temp?

How can I lower the temp?

AMD 2400+ Thouroughbred
Aeroflow Heatsink/Fan
A7v266-C Mobo
80G Maxtor HD

No its not to high. Check and make sure the 12v connector is plugged into the system board, Reseat your CPU Cooler again just to be sure of good contact.

If it's not overclocked, it's fine. Since that Motherboard can't overclock for a damn, if I remember right, you're in fine shape.

Increase your airflow to drop the temp. Quite simple. Add more fans.

Is that your max temp at load or idle temp? If that's the idle temp then it is too hot, but if that's your load temp it's fine. Check to make sure you have good airflow in your case (cool air coming in, hot air exhausting out, similar volumes both ways). As others have said, increasing the volume of air can help (ie: more and/or faster fans).

Thanks for reply.

58 is the idle temp. 62 is the load temp (sometimes hits 66C).

The case temp is 37C though!!!

I'm using an aeroflow heatsink ($25 with the packaged thermal paste). Do you think Arctic Silver 5 would do the trick?

Does that board detect CPU temp w/ a thermistor or does it use the on die CPU detector?
The thermistor is not going to be as accurate. So you will see a higher temp than you are used to.

try taking the side of teh case off. it well let more air circulate inside. also, when you got the hsf the compound was already on?

if it was already on, you may want to take off the hsf and get some new grease and reapply it.

just start with taking the case side off.

umm, i don't know the difference between those connections. could you explain?

I tried taking sides off the case, still gets high temps.

Original topic said 52C, and now it's 62C. Shee it. Pick one. I'm assuming 62.

62's too hot. More fans. Cut some holes. Get a real heatsink.

Go nuts. Check out the OC/cooling forum.

[H]alcyon441 said:
Does that board detect CPU temp w/ a thermistor or does it use the on die CPU detector?
The thermistor is not going to be as accurate. So you will see a higher temp than you are used to.

The A7V266 series boards use the thermistor in the socket so there is a good chance that the processor is actually running hotter than what is reported. I think my old A7V266-e had a jumper that was supposed to change from the thermistor to the on-die diode but that never worked. I think I just got the same temps no matter what it was set on.

I would suggest reseating the heatsink. Make sure to clean off all the old thermal paste and apply new in a very thin layer. After that, keep the side of the case off and if you have one handy, have a house fan blow into the side. If your problems stop, then you found the culprit. After that, take the house fan away and see what temps are like and see if the system still has instability. If so, you may need a new heatsink or just better overall airflow in the case. Clean up your wires as much as you can and add a case fan or two if you don't have any.

I agree do what people have said above....proc temp is fine.

Are you 100% sure that it's a temp issue with the proc, which is leading to the rebooting?

Didn't see your RAM in your sig, but if you are running 2 sticks, try running 1 at a time to ensure they are both stable...sometimes if you have a bad stick it can cause rebooting also.

Back