Is AMD gonna make more 754 procs?

NickN

Gawd
I read somewhere that AMD was going to support both Socket 939 and 754 until M2 was released, meaning that 754 is still gonna be around for awhile. The fastest processor they have for 754 is a 3700+ though. While a 3700 is no slouch, it's been around for awhile. Aside from the Semprons, does AMD have any plans to make faster A64's for 754?

well, they make turion 64 mobile chips now that are s754 and they also plan on making dual core s754 mobile - but I don't know the name of those chips (Taylor core?)

Ohh, I hadn't thought about the laptop chips. So the only new processors are gonna be mobile A64's? Hmmm...Well I guess that's good anyway, what with the overclocking potential. I just don't want to have to spend an extra $100 for a Socket 939 mobo if I want to get something faster than a 3700.

fuelvolts said:
plan on making dual core s754 mobile - but I don't know the name of those chips (Taylor core?)
it is taylor, but i believe that will be s939 or S1

Someone posted a link here showing the AMD roadmap. No, wait, maybe it's something I saw on theinquirer.net Anyway, there was a Sempron 3700+ on their roadmap which doesn't make sense to me. Well, I guess I'm just an idiot because I can't figure it out. I mean, that CPU should be able to beat cheap dual cores (I think). We'll see I guess.

and yeah, they're only stopping the a64 line for s754.. sempron and mobiles will live on.

Dual Core was designed for socket 939, 754 isn't compatible, nor will it ever be.

why not? all they need to do is plop in a single channel memory controller :D

they did it with newark! they can do it with manchester/toledo! but im thinking the lack of people still on s754 is the reason they wont.

AMD can easily make a dual core S754 processor. It's as Eclipse has said, just drop in a single memory controller. The question is, can current S754 motherboards support the voltage requirements of a dual core processor? If they can't, that's why there will never be a dual core S754 part! I doubt any motherboard manufacturer would redesign an old board for the new chip.

freeloader1969 said:
AMD can easily make a dual core S754 processor. It's as Eclipse has said, just drop in a single memory controller. The question is, can current S754 motherboards support the voltage requirements of a dual core processor? If they can't, that's why there will never be a dual core S754 part! I doubt any motherboard manufacturer would redesign an old board for the new chip.

They could do it. The X2's consume just a little bit more power than a 130nm chip, so why not?

The reason why not is that S754 isnt the place for dual core processors.

If you're curious for budget PCs, they want all Semprons from now on to be 64 bit (if I'm correct). Anyway, there will be a single core Sempron 3800+ for socket M2 (again, if I remember correctly).

Like I probably said here, the do change their plans a little. And I HATE the fricken' price shennanigans they play on consumers. Now that it has been announced that AMD is no longer manufacturing socket A processors, check this out:

http://labs.anandtech.com/alllinks.php?pfilter=281

NOTE: Just in case it changes next week, here's what it says THIS WEEK.

"$+13.00 Week Change

OEM
$175.00 shipped $+19.00 Week Change

OEM
$199.00 + $7.95 s&h $+50.95 Week Change

Retail
$204.73 + $7.95 s&h $+56.68 Week Change

Retail
$240.00 shipped $+84.00 Week Change

Retail
$250.00 shipped $+94.00 Week Change"

See here one retailer RAISED their price by $94 US? This is the fastest CPU for socket A so it's just a way to force you to go with another mobo & CPU. Cripes, are they ever frustrating.

Someone posted here once saying there were no pricing shennanigans. Well, I just proved it myself for my own satisfaction.

forumposter32 said:
If you're curious for budget PCs, they want all Semprons from now on to be 64 bit (if I'm correct). Anyway, there will be a single core Sempron 3800+ for socket M2 (again, if I remember correctly).

Like I probably said here, the do change their plans a little. And I HATE the fricken' price shennanigans they play on consumers. Now that it has been announced that AMD is no longer manufacturing socket A processors, check this out:
[snip]
See here one retailer RAISED their price by $94 US? This is the fastest CPU for socket A so it's just a way to force you to go with another mobo & CPU. Cripes, are they ever frustrating.

Someone posted here once saying there were no pricing shennanigans. Well, I just proved it myself for my own satisfaction.
cool, that means that the resale value of my 2500+ (does 3200+ no problems) has just increased dramatically :D

I upgraded to a 3700+ s754 way too early, prices dropped by $90 on them a month later and newegg was even giving away a free printer with the thing, free shipping on both. :( :mad:

drizzt81 said:
cool, that means that the resale value of my 2500+ (does 3200+ no problems) has just increased dramatically :D

The price increases didn't happen to every chip. But, I suppose someone with a socket A and a Duron 600 MHz would want to use that.
You just gave me an idea though. Who knows? I might possibly sell my stuff on eBay so I can upgrade. LOL, that's kind of funny since I just built the system. But, I have a Duron 1.8 GHz & Ti4200. :D

Back