Is anybody else a little disappointed with AMD's 7970 driver situation?

Added SLI profile for a new game that I want to buy, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I started to wonder if my 7970 crossfire setup will have crossfire profile when the game comes out on the 7th??? Praying AMD at least gives us new beta drivers this coming week with crossfire profile for this game.

Did you play the demo? It's stupid fast. I didn't have any issues playing the demo and played my whole 45 minutes and got my fancy Mass Effect 3 gun :p

I haven't seen this yet with a single 7970, I did have it occasionally on Cayman crossfire.

I had this issue all the time with my 5870. I don't recall ever seeing it with my Xfire 6950's. It has happened a couple of times with my 7970's, but would clear up after a few moments.

Ever since I installed a second 7970, Crysis 2 textures flicker randomly (sometimes horribly.) Is the driver listed now the same as the RC11 added earlier this month? It says it was updated 1/25, but I think they just added some information.

Angel my Crysis 2 Flickers horribly too!!! With 3 cards its unplayable

I'm running 2 MSI 7970s in crossfire.. all my games play fine except Skyrim I get artifacting in the dialogue boxes and items menu ONLY and Crysis 1 cars flicker and Alien tentacles flicker. Am I the only one seeing this???

** note** this only happens in Crossfire. I can play and of these games with either card for hours without strange artifacting in Skyrim or Crysis 1.

Running in Xfire or Tri-Fire in Skyrim was fixed on my PC by the 64Hz fix, with it i get no more jitters, glitches or slowdowns. The game does not actually support Tri-Fire the 3rd card is running at 0% GPU usage hehe.

Running in Xfire or Tri-Fire in Skyrim was fixed on my PC by the 64Hz fix, with it i get no more jitters, glitches or slowdowns. The game does not actually support Tri-Fire the 3rd card is running at 0% GPU usage hehe.

Trying this.... Hope it works. I reverted back from the rc driver to the ones that came with my cards on the cd just to seemif it wasnt hardware failure. Horrible drivers but no artifacts when playing skyrim or Crysis. I

I've got to agree. I'm not having any major issues right now but the only things I've played on my 7970 are SWTOR and BF3. Even then I still can't force AA on with SWTOR. I get all kinds of issues if I do.

FXAA Injector, MLAA via CCC, SMAA Injector

Uhhhh what? I'm using 3 7970s, the newest 7970 drivers, at 2560x1600 and it's fine. No flickering textrures. It rips along.

Are you actually playing the game through? Or just testing your cards? I ask because it can play just fine for a while, then at some point it happens. Restarting the game usually fixes it, but its annoying enough that I am not playing it until a new driver comes out.

Because you truly believe that I hope you told all the NV users that are having issues.
Just point me to your post in this section of you stating that pls.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=213

So most AMD users know what they are doing and most NV users don't. thank god im not an NV user.
I agree. The Nvidia fanboys really are ticking me off anymore. When the truth is the Nvidia drivers have lots of problems of its own.

Yet most of them would be PEBKAC, while the AMD ones aren't.

I am dissapointed..... it wasn't until the 5th post that we got the idiodic posting of the thread....i was expecting this at post #2 or 3....

ATi/AMD has been good to me ever since the Radeon LE days. sure there were driver snafus here and there but the overall experience of the last 14+ years has been nothing short of great

Are you actually playing the game through? Or just testing your cards? I ask because it can play just fine for a while, then at some point it happens. Restarting the game usually fixes it, but its annoying enough that I am not playing it until a new driver comes out.

I am PLAYING the games. What the hell kind of question is this? Of course I am playing. Most of the [H] user base is pretty n00bish honeslty. For example, look at the xtremesystems users and their overclocks vs. the hardocp users.....yeah...pretty huge gap.

Still waiting on a new driver release.

Just tried playing Natural Selection 2. It is unplayable with this card.

I'm almost beginning to regret switching from a crossfire 6870 setup, which I used to think was as bad as it gets with its micro stutter BS.

I am PLAYING the games. What the hell kind of question is this? Of course I am playing. Most of the [H] user base is pretty n00bish honeslty. For example, look at the xtremesystems users and their overclocks vs. the hardocp users.....yeah...pretty huge gap.

Woah - such hostility. I ask because the game plays fine for a while then the flickering textures start appearing.

So it seemed reasonable that perhaps you didn't see the issue because you only loaded up the game to see how fast it was. It IS a fairly old game by now.

For example, I loaded up Witcher 2 to see how the game faired with these new cards, but I have not been playing the game. So I could tell someone how fast Witcher 2 was, but I only benchmarked it, I am not currently playing it.

I was running a 5870 and bought the 7970 so I could play my stuff at 2560X1600 on my HP ZR30w monitor which so far has been great; the only bug I have been having is the flashing desktop edges after running 3D Mark 06 and connecting to the internet for results (this is bad enough the fix is generally a reboot to straighten it out) and then with release drivers one of my games locked on the desktop after playing for awhile, problem has gone away since later driver release. I have been buying ATI-AMD video cards since NVidia bought out 3DFX and shut them down! At that time the last 3DFX card I had was a 5500 which died on me an it had a warranty on it ,3DFX website went down and came back and NVidia offered me one of their top cards with a $30 dollar rebate on it and paying price less $30 rebate and full priced shipping and for the 3DFX Card to be crossshipped to them needless to say I was aggravated about all of it!! I thought about buying Matrox cards also but they were having issues also so I finally bought a ATI Rage 128 !! I have watched over the years and NVIDIA has had as many driver complaints as anyone else so I have never seen why there are the back and forth driver arguments between the companies that really mean anything anyway because as for my observations and I am 57! All these companies have had their driver issues?? I will admit though AMD has been less problamatic more so in the 2D desktop area than NVIDIA over the years so since everybody does't game this probably helped out their perception alot with general computer public and ATI-AMD at this timeseems like they are in no hurry to update the drivers for this new card right now, which tells me they are having new architecture driver learning curve a little worse than they have had in the past plus they just released the 7950 so as soon as the customer base increases (more cards sold to more consumers) they will naturally be in no real hurry to fix alot of issues! Till they sell alot of cards then get some feedback!! Remember the louder the peasents grumble and rumble with their sticks and clubs the more the King gets in a hurry to quell the riot so to speak!! You know??!! Don't Worry they'll get their issues worked out because they want to make money and we all no if parts have alot of problems they won't be bought alot due to ongoing issues and then nobody will be happy!! Then they will all be happy when the new driver fixes are released unless they just want to hang over here in the AMD Vidoe card area just To troll and start problems! LOL THanks and sorry for the long rant!!!!

Last edited:
Been testing multiple games on my 7970 and all work as advertised. Seems like a crossfire / trifire issue moreso than a single card issue in terms of drivers.

Everything is working fine for me in Quad-Fire 4X7970, but the 4th card is doing nothing in Metro 2033, and a couple of other games. But working fine in benches like Heaven and 3D marks 11...

AMD, why no love for Quad-Fire set-up over the years? :(

Coming from nVidia, this is ridiculous. If then don't have a new driver next week, I'm out. I'll buy another 580, I don't even care. I never remember it being like this when I got my 5870 at launch.

Coming from nVidia, this is ridiculous. If then don't have a new driver next week, I'm out. I'll buy another 580, I don't even care. I never remember it being like this when I got my 5870 at launch.

So you should know better not to get a new arc at launch.

I have nothing but nv cards, so I hate to admit this, but right now the nv driver is nearly a steaming pile. Hopefully the next WHQL resolves desktop TDRs, the rampant memory leakage when playing videos, and the PhysX regression killing several games. The last all-around working driver is 275.33 (well, for non-SLI) from last June, but it doesn't support some of the latest games. So, it's not like radeon has the problematic driver thing cornered, just sayin'. Pick your poison ...

I had this issue all the time with my 5870. I don't recall ever seeing it with my Xfire 6950's. It has happened a couple of times with my 7970's, but would clear up after a few moments.

Just reproed it, but I've been mining for 5 hours now, GPU usage at 99%. :) Definitely not a typical use case.

I havent had any issues in games, my issue has been the default fan profile and voltage. Everytime i boot up, i set my fan manual to 40% then my voltage to 1.043 lastly my core to 1000mhz.

Issues are non-existent. My only issue with it is that the media encoding programs available currently don’t support it. That issue affects AMD but it’s not their fault. Every game has worked without issue except GTA4 but that game is so shitty it didn’t work well with generation after generation of video cards. Plus a command line insert was all I needed to get it to work without issue. GTA4 was artificially limiting the graphics card because it couldn’t recognize my gpu.

Back