Is Google Afraid of Bing?

What makes Bing a crappy product compared to Google and Yahoo search?

It's search interface is cluttered, and a little slow compared to Google. And I don't see the same relevance in search results, especially when searching for more obscure items.

What makes Bing a crappy product compared to Google and Yahoo search?

google feels snappier. bing seems too heavy. i think google is more optimized, which is why i cant believe anyone would think bing is well designed. google always finds what i want everytime, because i never use bing- thats whats so dumb about microsofts new search. google just loads much quicker and i can have more time for myself instead of waiting for bing to load and close out every time. google just gives me the sense that it's smarter, thats what makes it so awesome.

I think most of you are just afraid of something new. I've yet to see a good reason to avoid Bing.

For me it's like, what does Bing really offer over Google that would make me want to switch after using Google for years and becoming accustomed to it. Google has always done everything I ever wanted.

All search engines besides google just fill the screen with crap/bloat. Google feels very light/minimal. I'm sticking with google. I hope they don't fill up the screen with crap like everyone else because of this.

I think most of you are just afraid of something new. I've yet to see a good reason to avoid Bing.

It's personal preference, I don't believe sticking with something you know works well equates to being afraid to try new things. I try every new thing I can get my hands on, some things stick, some don't. Bing just isn't good enough to supplant Google as my search tool yet.

Yeah I guess it is personal preference. I think bing has a better image search, an amazing image search and I'm not really seeing how it's slower than Google at doing anything. Then again, I'm not really looking for it to be slower either.

google feels snappier. bing seems too heavy. i think google is more optimized, which is why i cant believe anyone would think bing is well designed. google always finds what i want everytime, because i never use bing- thats whats so dumb about microsofts new search. google just loads much quicker and i can have more time for myself instead of waiting for bing to load and close out every time. google just gives me the sense that it's smarter, thats what makes it so awesome.

Personal Preference IMO... I like Bing's results page better than Google's. It actually utilizes horizontal space rather than throwing everything into a vertical column (minus the ads).

Their image search, when searching for people, actually has some nifty stuff, too. "Head shots" or "Head and Shoulders" shots, etc...

Bing does seem to offer better results for what I search for. When I search with google, there are too many commercial sites that want to sell whatever I'm searching for.

It's search interface is cluttered, and a little slow compared to Google. And I don't see the same relevance in search results, especially when searching for more obscure items.

Are you guys on dial-up? Because my connection isn't that fast compared to most (wireless EVDO Rev A) and I don't notice that much difference in speed of search results. Bing has more content that's being loaded on the page so naturally Google is going to be minutely faster and lighter with less. DOS command line is faster than a Vista GUI too but that doesn't mean it has more to offer.

The thing I like about the Bing search results is you can hover over the right side of the link and it will quickly give you additional information off the web page before you click to view it. Also I like the layout of the search better than Google because results are shown down the center of the page instead of to the far left. It's easier to read that way.

It also shows related searches and your search history on the left whereas with Google you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see related searches and it doesn't show your search history on the screen. I like the image search on Bing better than Google as well. It allows you to continue to see more images as you scroll down further so you don't have to keep clicking to go to the next page like with Google.

But once again the biggest thing about Bing to me is still the large cashback offers. No other website comes close to offering as high of cashback as Bing has. Last year they offered as high as 35% cashback for all eBay purchases and here a year later you can still receive 8% on your purchase. And most all of us here shop at Newegg and 2.5% is currently the highest cashback available. You can even still get 15% cashback at TigerDirect searching for the term "Computer Hardware" on Bing. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I can be bought when you offer me money on my purchases online. Google doesn't offer me anything in terms of my purchases other than a price search with Froogle.

And the only way Bing is going to continue to have the high cashback offers is if they gain popularity in their search engine from it. Everyone can't just say they'll use Google for their search engine and Bing for cashback. It doesn't work that way unless you want measly cashback percentages like you get with Fatwallet and eBates. Microsoft is offering the higher percentages on Bing to draw in users, not just to give away free money. Personally I can handle waiting an extra 1/10th of a second for my search result if it means I'm helping to continue the cashback savings. If Microsoft does away with the cashback though then I'll promote going back to Google lol.

Google should be scared of Bing. Search isn't about searching, it's about advertising, revenue and tracking. MS has finally figured out a way to integrate it all while making it worthwhile for the customer (with their cashback.)

I'm on 3Mbp/s DSL, I notice a difference. Google is still more relevant, for example the other day I searched for a way to limit the download speed on a Mac computer.

Using the search string "limit internet speed osx" in Google, it gives me the answer in the second link down. I tried to find a solution using Bing, and couldn't find anything, even with various search strings. And Google's spell check is much more intelligent.

If you click between Google and Bing quickly, you can see that Microsoft copied the Google style, and just added some cosmetic changes. Which is similar to MS copying what Apple does, when will MS truly innovate, instead of making knockoffs of other companies products? When Bing matures, I'll try it again. Until then, Microsoft won't buy me out with cash back offers.

But Its Not Google

While it might be ass-backwards, I use either Google or my Google corner in FF as my URL bar. Rarely have I actually typed an entire web address. Most of the time I search for it and click the (always right ) first link. Saves me from having to remember / bookmark web addreses.

Yeah, I'm a lazy bastard.

A nice feature Firefox has is this, you can type just the name of a website in the address bar and it will do a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search in the background. And it seamlessly brings up the page you want 99% of the time.

For most, the fact that it is a Microsoft service.

:rolleyes:

I actually like it, i like looking at something nice vs a plain old white screen with a rainbow name.

being in costa rica on a 4mb/1mb line it loaded for me in 3 seconds

i typed in

Asus

from hitting enter, it loaded the next page in 3 seconds and finished loading in 4 seconds

Going to google.com loaded in 3 seconds, searching for Asus loaded results in 2 seconds.

What i just noticed is Bing, searched for Asus, Bing organized it by reviews, sites and such, perhaps this will cut down on the BS you get with google with every other result being a E-tailer trying to sell the part instead of showing actual reviews.

:rolleyes:

I actually like it, i like looking at something nice vs a plain old white screen with a rainbow name.

being in costa rica on a 4mb/1mb line it loaded for me in 3 seconds

i typed in

Asus

from hitting enter, it loaded the next page in 3 seconds and finished loading in 4 seconds

Going to google.com loaded in 3 seconds, searching for Asus loaded results in 2 seconds.

I was not bashing bing. I actually use it myself with google being my second search engine. Although that is how I was with live also. I used it as my primary and google if i couldn't find what i wanted in live. I was just stating what we know to be true. There are going to be people on here that hate it, refuse to ever use it, and do nothing but bitch about it on and on for no other reason that it a Microsoft service. No matter what you, me or anyone else says they will find their reasons why they should never use it and why you and everyone else shouldn't use it either.

A 2 second difference in loading time doesn't seem like much, but consider this: I do on average about 130 Google searches per day, if each search took just 2 seconds longer, (due to loading times, lack of relevance) I would spend an extra 13 hours per year (assuming just 300 days of searching per year) waiting for my results. Worth it? I think not.

I was not bashing bing. I actually use it myself with google being my second search engine. Although that is how I was with live also. I used it as my primary and google if i couldn't find what i wanted in live. I was just stating what we know to be true. There are going to be people on here that hate it, refuse to ever use it, and do nothing but bitch about it on and on for no other reason that it a Microsoft service. No matter what you, me or anyone else says they will find their reasons why they should never use it and why you and everyone else shouldn't use it either.

My bad then, the reply just made it seem like the service sucked cause MS made it kind of thing :)

i dont like live search or past MS ones because their layout did seem to cluttered to me and not very clear.

A 2 second difference in loading time doesn't seem like much, but consider this: I do on average about 130 Google searches per day, if each search took just 2 seconds longer, (due to loading times, lack of relevance) I would spend an extra 13 hours per year (assuming just 300 days of searching per year) waiting for my results. Worth it? I think not.

How are you measuring your load times and what web browser are you using? I'm using FireFox 3.0.11 for OSX at the moment and it takes 1 sec or less for results on both Bing and Google. I timed it several times manually with the clock open next to my browser window.

FF3, Vista. I takes about 1 sec for Google to load, and almost 2 for Bing. If I were to add in my lost time due to bum search results from Bing, my number would be higher. If you have a really fast connection then the difference is negligible. Google is trying to be as snappy as possible on all connection types, i.e mobile and dial-up. Bing is fine for everyday searching, but when I want to search for something obscure or odd, nothing beats Google. I think Bing is a very good search engine, but it doesn't have enough to pull me away from Google.

Bing does seem to offer better results for what I search for. When I search with google, there are too many commercial sites that want to sell whatever I'm searching for.
Yea, that and the links to other search portals, is what made me switch from Google to Yahoo. Lately Yahoo's been doing worse so I'm glad to try Bing out now.

While it might be ass-backwards, I use either Google or my Google corner in FF as my URL bar. Rarely have I actually typed an entire web address. Most of the time I search for it and click the (always right ) first link. Saves me from having to remember / bookmark web addreses.

Yeah, I'm a lazy bastard.
You realize you can still do all that with Bing...

FF3, Vista. I takes about 1 sec for Google to load, and almost 2 for Bing. If I were to add in my lost time due to bum search results from Bing, my number would be higher. If you have a really fast connection then the difference is negligible. Google is trying to be as snappy as possible on all connection types, i.e mobile and dial-up. Bing is fine for everyday searching, but when I want to search for something obscure or odd, nothing beats Google. I think Bing is a very good search engine, but it doesn't have enough to pull me away from Google.

I can understand if Bing doesn't seem to give you the search results you're looking for with the particular things you're searching for compared to Google but the time difference in loading isn't worth mentioning. Google.com loads faster than Bing.com because with Google it's nothing but a blank white page with a search box and the Google icon. With Bing it loads an interactive graphical background. If you're doing 130 searches a day you shouldn't need to open Bing.com 130 times. Once open I would just leave it open in it's own tab and then your searches would be <1 sec.

I can understand if Bing doesn't seem to give you the search results you're looking for with the particular things you're searching for compared to Google but the time difference in loading isn't worth mentioning. Google.com loads faster than Bing.com because with Google it's nothing but a blank white page with a search box and the Google icon. With Bing it loads an interactive graphical background. If you're doing 130 searches a day you shouldn't need to open Bing.com 130 times. Once open I would just leave it open in it's own tab and then your searches would be <1 sec.

I use the Firefox search bar, I can't just keep a Bing tab because I frequently have <40 tabs open at any given time. I only quote search times as a whole, in a year this is how much extra time I spend etc. But you're right, in the end the loading time doesn't effect anything in a major way for me, and even less than others. But I'm addicted to snappy search pages & top of class results. :D

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bing

no, the irony is not lost on me :)
I have to admit I've been too lazy to google it myself as well. Fist time visiting the site, even tho' I hear Bing mentioned everywhere.

As far as been afraid, I think Google should definitely be afraid. This reminds me of when AltaVista was popular, because the searches were so specific and from different networks, but kept everything clean. I loved that stuff, but now Google does that too, so AltaVista is irrelevant.

Well, after 5 minutes into trying Bing right now, all I can say is WOW! It just blew my mind. Everything is so simple and organized, yet you can customize it and refine as much as you desire. The Images and Videos section take the cake, it's just too awesome. Microsoft really outdid themselves with Bing, I'm not sure I can think of Google the same again. This also remind me of Hulu, which came and slapped me in the face for what I tho' was impossible, but is actually the birth to greater ideas. I will try it some more, and if I see no problems with it, I think I found myself a new homepage.

Category search and integration with shopping search will be appealing for advertisers.
One analyst thinks MS will throw 10% revs into Bing.

its guys like spacetrader that attempt smear campains based on flawed logic, i wouldnt be suprised if he has a family member that works for google. Perhaps he thinks his laughable smear campaign is adding job security to his family member.

its guys like spacetrader that attempt smear campains based on flawed logic, i wouldnt be suprised if he has a family member that works for google. Perhaps he thinks his laughable smear campaign is adding job security to his family member.

*hits desk and keyboard*

*unsubscribes from thread*

Google should be very afraid. Bing is amazing. Hopefully google will come out with something that owns it.
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

Bing to me is just known for the cashback. I never use the search engine lol.

Back