is hd6950 crossfire overkill for 1900x1200?

theone1989

Limp Gawd
So I've had a 27" inch screen for 2 years. During that time it's been underutilised because I ran it from my laptop (admittedly at native 1900x1200 res over hdmi) and only played 720p xbox 360 games on it but did watch a lot of hd films.

Now I am about to build my first desktop rig tommorrow and I have 2 HD6950 in boxes and I'm thinking to myself.."is it now too overkill for my monitor"? I mean, I could always return one card unopened for a full refund.

(I do not intend to replace my dell 2709w until it dies)

Last edited:
You will be able to answer that question better than anyone else. If you can get a refund, you may want to install one, see how it performs, and if it maxes out the most graphically intensive games in your library,put the upgrade money toward something else. One can never have too much toilet paper...

it probably is, but i don't think that stops a lot of people here, lol.

This. You really won't be getting your money's worth for the second one at that resolution. You'd be better off overclocking/unlocking one.

Last edited:
So I've had a 27" inch screen for 2 years. During that time it's been underutilised because I ran it from my laptop (admittedly at native 1900x1200 res over hdmi) and only played 720p xbox 360 games on it but did watch a lot of hd films.

Now I am about to build my first desktop rig tommorrow and I have 2 HD6950 in boxes and I'm thinking to myself.."is it now too overkill for my monitor"? I mean, I could always return one card unopened for a full refund.

(I do not intend to replace my dell 2709w until it dies)

pretty much. there is very little that a single 6950 will not max out at that res. unless you need to play crysis at 60fps with 8x AA I don't see it myself. the cost of a 6950 would net you a very nice SSD drive and would probably be money far better spent.

I'd return one in any case. You can always get one later if some game comes out which the 6950 cannot run acceptably on its own

Depends on the games you play, I wouldn't call it overkill but you're not going to get the full benefit of them either at that resolution. If you love cranking shit up keep both.

it probably is, but i don't think that stops a lot of people here, lol.

i'm debating adding a second 6870 due to how well they scale, but it means giving up my 8800gt physx card just to double my frames in crysis. but at 1920x1080 nearly every other game runs perfect.

Currently, yes. In a year from now, no. Of course you will get the second card a $100 cheaper a year from now.

its probably overkill but oh well you already have the cards so enjoy maxing out every game you own and for some time to come in the future, or wait for the prices to go up on the cards and profit by selling the second card as long as you haven't opened it yet. :D

What are the rest of your system specs?

CPU: i5-2500k
MOBO: MSI GD65
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
GPU: 2 x HD6950
Case: Coolermaster HAF X
PSU : XFX 850W Pro
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX
Storage: 90gb Corsair Force SSD + 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
Optical Drive: LG DVD RW/DL.

Meant as a kewl gift to myself after having had my current laptop (acer 5920g) for 3 odd years, which will now be demoted to portable use only. Again, since my laptop lasted me 3 odd yrs, I'd expect the desktop rig to do the same (ie no upgrades).

I'm gonna start building later today (my 1st time building, so wish me luck) and initially I'll just put in 1 and see how that goes.

I am currently using CFX 6950's to game at 1920x1200 and there isn't much It can't do. I've only found a few games (which are usually engine problems, not card problems) that won't run maxed.

Should be getting a third monitor soon so I'll no longer have the overkill

Yes, but it's not going to stay that way. Eventually you'll be reaping the wards of having an overkill graphics setup for your res. Should last you a fairly long time, that setup.

I believe it is overkill. I currently run 6970 crossfire at 1900x1200 and the performance is ridiculous.

Of course, I can run most of the games at the highest settings possible (Mass Effect 2 at 16AA, Crysis at 8AA, etc...) but a single 6970 would allow me to run at the second highest settings and the difference in image quality would be marginal.

My upcoming 30" monitor should fix my issue pretty soon...

CPU: i5-2500k
MOBO: MSI GD65
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
GPU: 2 x HD6950
Case: Coolermaster HAF X
PSU : XFX 850W Pro
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX
Storage: 90gb Corsair Force SSD + 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
Optical Drive: LG DVD RW/DL.

Meant as a kewl gift to myself after having had my current laptop (acer 5920g) for 3 odd years, which will now be demoted to portable use only. Again, since my laptop lasted me 3 odd yrs, I'd expect the desktop rig to do the same (ie no upgrades).

I'm gonna start building later today (my 1st time building, so wish me luck) and initially I'll just put in 1 and see how that goes.

Great system, please let us know how you get on with it, I will be interested to hear how the motherboard works out for you, because I am thinking about getting the exact same one.

I would say keep the two cards. Crossfire is great at the moment, and if you don't upgrade too often then that system will keep you going a long time!!

Nice build but I would not go for that XFX PSU.

I tend to run my rig for long periods, so dust collection is bound to happen. The problem is you cannot remove the outer cover to just clean the fans. They are a horror to get to. XFX have put a warranty void sticker over the cover screws. It doesn't have a seperate grating like alot of them.

If your gonna spend, throw down on a nice Corsair. You can remove the grill and put it back without any hiccups.

I learned this recently, unfortunately.

Nice build but I would not go for that XFX PSU.

I tend to run my rig for long periods, so dust collection is bound to happen. The problem is you cannot remove the outer cover to just clean the fans. They are a horror to get to. XFX have put a warranty void sticker over the cover screws. It doesn't have a seperate grating like alot of them.

If your gonna spend, throw down on a nice Corsair. You can remove the grill and put it back without any hiccups.

I learned this recently, unfortunately.

So, did your XFX PSU blow up? Did you take off the sticker?

Well I haven't set it up yet, for the very boring reason that I can't install Windows 7 (or any windows) on it even if I put it together. My DVD burner on my laptop seems to be on it's last legs, and it messed up the writes of all 5 blank dvds i had in my house tonight. I'll need to buy a 8gb USB drive later...

Yes it is overkill. I'd keep one card and buy another later when you need it, for much cheaper.

Yes it is overkill. I'd keep one card and buy another later when you need it, for much cheaper.

the only thing with that is, if 2 hd6950 becomes overkill, then so does the case and PSU. I could also send those back to trade for cheaper versions since I'm allowed. But if I were going to go CF in the future, it might be better to keep the current PSU and case. I've had a look at hd5850, they've been out a year and they've dropped by £70 so that's how much extra I'd be paying by keeping both hd6950 now.

In all honesty, one of the reasons for buying 2 hd6950s now was that i thought that ati would disable unlocking on their new pcb boards so i though snapping up the current versions would be a good deal.

Last edited:
The current versions are a good. Deal I wouldnt go with a 5850 at all in my opinion. Like everyone said above. Take one card back and keep the other & use the extra cash for something else.

Correct me if im wrong are u talking about bootlegged windows?:

for the very boring reason that I can't install Windows 7 (or any windows) on it even if I put it together. My DVD burner on my laptop seems to be on it's last legs, and it messed up the writes of all 5 blank dvds i had in my house tonight

the only thing with that is, if 2 hd6950 becomes overkill, then so does the case and PSU. I could also send those back to trade for cheaper versions since I'm allowed. But if I were going to go CF in the future, it might be better to keep the current PSU and case. I've had a look at hd5850, they've been out a year and they've dropped by £70 so that's how much extra I'd be paying by keeping both hd6950 now.

In all honesty, one of the reasons for buying 2 hd6950s now was that i thought that ati would disable unlocking on their new pcb boards so i though snapping up the current versions would be a good deal.

Well, in that case, I don't see any reason why a unlocked 6950 (6970) would not play any modern game for the next 10 months @ 1900x1200. In ten months we will all be talking about he gtx6xx/AMD7xxx series and ,then you will have a good reason to upgrade again;)

I truly believe that a 6970 will play any game @1920x1200 at decent fps for the next 10 months easily.
I'd suggest you save you money on the psu,case, and second 6950 and spend it on something that you will get more use out of. ;)

Well, in that case, I don't see any reason why a unlocked 6950 (6970) would not play any modern game for the next 10 months @ 1900x1200. In ten months we will all be talking about he gtx6xx/AMD7xxx series and ,then you will have a good reason to upgrade again;)

I truly believe that a 6970 will play any game @1920x1200 at decent fps for the next 10 months easily.
I'd suggest you save you money on the psu,case, and second 6950 and spend it on something that you will get more use out of. ;)

I think you and most other in the thread are probably right. I'm going to ring up the shop tomorrow to exchange a few components around since everything is still in boxes untouched.

2 x HD6950 -> 1 x HD6970
Coolermaster HAF X -> Coolermaster 912 Plus
850W XFX Pro PSU-> 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W

I'm thinking just the one HD6970 so I can overclock that to the max, where as I wouldn't dare push an unlocked HD6950 too much. Also, I'm never going Eyefinity. I prefer one good screen to 3 inferior screens, I can't stand the bezels inbeween the screens and I don't have enough money for 3 screens as good as the one I have now anyway (my dell 2709w).

This should knock £250 off the total bill.

Last edited:
2 x HD6950 -> 1 x HD6970
Coolermaster HAF X -> Coolermaster 912 Plus
850W XFX Pro PSU-> 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W

Get either a corsair or seasonic for the PSU as at least that way you are guaranteed something quality.

Get either a corsair or seasonic for the PSU as at least that way you are guaranteed something quality.

people seem to be very particular about their PSUs lol. what was wrong with the coolermaster one I said above? it got gd review.

people seem to be very particular about their PSUs lol. what was wrong with the coolermaster one I said above? it got gd review.

Because the power supply is the one component in your system that if it fucks up can take the rest of your system with it.

What is this "overkill" one speaks of? And at that, "too much overkill"? Blasphemy, I say! I used to run an overclocked 5850 at 1280x1024 then 1600x900. I was able to use the highest settings available on the games I played, Dirt2, SF4, Bioshock even.

Sooner or later, a game will come along that will make a single 6950/70 cry, and then, you will be glad that you spent the extra money on two cards.

Waiting till the price drops $100 to buy a second card doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because by that time, you could just wait it out til the GF 600 and HD 7k cards to roll out.

Best thing to do:
1. Keep both cards
2. find 2 more displays like the one you have on the cheap
3. ???
4. Profit! (Enjoy the Eyefinity goodness)

What is this "overkill" one speaks of? And at that, "too much overkill"? Blasphemy, I say! I used to run an overclocked 5850 at 1280x1024 then 1600x900. I was able to use the highest settings available on the games I played, Dirt2, SF4, Bioshock even.

Sooner or later, a game will come along that will make a single 6950/70 cry, and then, you will be glad that you spent the extra money on two cards.

Waiting till the price drops $100 to buy a second card doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because by that time, you could just wait it out til the GF 600 and HD 7k cards to roll out.

Best thing to do:
1. Keep both cards
2. find 2 more displays like the one you have on the cheap
3. ???
4. Profit! (Enjoy the Eyefinity goodness)

He said no eyefinity ever. one monitor usage.

I think it's overkill, I mean.. I run a single 6970 @ 2560x1600 and it's enough for me. Everyone is different though. I'd try one 6950 and if you aren't satisfied then go CF.

He said no eyefinity ever. one monitor usage.

The deed is done.

1)I have returned 1 HD6950. Kept the other HD6950
2)Returned the Coolermaster HAF X for the Coolermaster HAF 912 PLUS
3)Returned the Non-Modular 80 Plus Bronze XFX 850W to the Modular 80 Plus Gold NZXT Hale90 650W

I think the Hale90 65W was probably a bit of a waste tbh, you could run an HD6950 off a 430W if it had two 6-pins, even with an overclocked hex core CPU. Even my 4.1Ghz i5 with two HD6970s is only using 460W DC out of the PSU under full load.

Because the power supply is the one component in your system that if it fucks up can take the rest of your system with it.

There is truth here! My PSU popped, and it took me 8 weeks of RMA hell to get the system back online. While the vendors were great in getting me the parts - the hell was playing my old gaming rig while parts did thier shipping thing. PSU is one part you do not want to skimp on.

I think the Hale90 65W was probably a bit of a waste tbh, you could run an HD6950 off a 430W if it had two 6-pins, even with an overclocked hex core CPU. Even my 4.1Ghz i5 with two HD6970s is only using 460W DC out of the PSU under full load.

Well it gives future upgradability. It'll save me some electricity over the long run since it's 80 Plus Gold and it's modular, because I've traded down to a smaller case not having excess wire will be handy.

And I've taken the general advice in online forums of overspending on the PSU.

My personal choice if you were plumbing in modular cabling, high efficiency and enormous upgrade potential would be the Seasonic X-650. Seems the best unit in that group.

Well it gives future upgradability. It'll save me some electricity over the long run since it's 80 Plus Gold and it's modular, because I've traded down to a smaller case not having excess wire will be handy.

And I've taken the general advice in online forums of overspending on the PSU.

I would have kept the Haf X or at least just gone down to a Haf 922. Seems like the jump from Haf X to the minimalist of a Haf 912 just because of dropping a video card a little extreme.

PSU downgrade is probably a good thing but not going minimalist a good thing.

While I don't play Crysis, at 1920 I still have a hard time not having near highest settings with my 4870 1GB 2 years later. Getting a 6950 this close to launch means easily 2 years before the upgrade bug really starts to bite and if you have the personal fortitude, it can last 4 years if your willing to lower some of the effects on future games (the kind of thing most people do a lot on laptops).

I'd say a slight overkill. But that only means you wouldn't have to upgrade as soon down the road.

I would have kept the Haf X or at least just gone down to a Haf 922. Seems like the jump from Haf X to the minimalist of a Haf 912 just because of dropping a video card a little extreme.

PSU downgrade is probably a good thing but not going minimalist a good thing.

While I don't play Crysis, at 1920 I still have a hard time not having near highest settings with my 4870 1GB 2 years later. Getting a 6950 this close to launch means easily 2 years before the upgrade bug really starts to bite and if you have the personal fortitude, it can last 4 years if your willing to lower some of the effects on future games (the kind of thing most people do a lot on laptops).

Well I bought the Haf 912 Plus for £78 less than the Haf X. £70 if you deduct the shipping I've paid to send it back. Trading the case down is still like saving $110 in your money, which is a huge gap.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/27/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-review/2

I know what the review says. But the 912 ships with 2 less fans than the HAF X in important positions above the cpu and to the side of graphics card. With fans in the same position it'll perform closer.

I'm sick of turning stuff down on my laptop. And xbox 360 graphics stopped impressing me a while ago. So I'll probs upgrade sooner rather than later lol.

Well I bought the Haf 912 Plus for £78 less than the Haf X. £70 if you deduct the shipping I've paid to send it back. Trading the case down is still like saving $110 in your money, which is a huge gap.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/27/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-review/2

I know what the review says. But the 912 ships with 2 less fans than the HAF X in important positions above the cpu and to the side of graphics card. With fans in the same position it'll perform closer.

I'm sick of turning stuff down on my laptop. And xbox 360 graphics stopped impressing me a while ago. So I'll probs upgrade sooner rather than later lol.
I guess my point was the Haf X is overkill for anything short of a Dual CPU, Tri video setup. But its a fantastic case. So I figured that you must have decided on the Haf X for a reason. Seems like going in for a Maybach and driving out in a Smart because you didn't need the navigation. Both Mercedes but way on the other end of the spectrum. Would have figured most would drop down to the 932 if the X was a bit much, 922 at worst.

Performance maybe overkill now, but think about future releases. You will smile knowing that whatever new title you pick up will run flawless( Until Crysis 3 release):p I can't wait till the 6990 release to run on my on 1080p monitor cause my current CFX setup has lasted so long. I tend not to update graphics cards frequently like the rest of the system so I want longevity. You stated you want this setup to last for a couple of years. Going this route provides future proof.

Back