Is ide dead

Not dead yet, but probably will be in the future. I also predict hard drives as we know them will also be dead when static RAM (Flash) drives get bigger and cheaper to produce.

Nope.

Until all CD/DVD drives are SATA, there will be IDE. As long as there are IDE ports on mother boards, there will be a market for IDE hard drives. Also, with the very large number of IDE drive currently in use, they are going to be supported for a very long time.

Very few people have devices that use either Serial or Parallel ports but most motherboards still have them. It takes a long to kill an old technology.

IDE also is practically just as fast as SATA, so there is little performance gain for most users to replace IDE drives.

I would expect that in two years SATA will be dominant, but IDE will still be an option.

i imagine it would be easier for manufacturers to only develop one hard drive line, so they'd want to phase out ide as soon as possible. my guess is that they're just waiting until sata's had enough market penetration, that noone cares about ide anymore. it would seem like that time would be soon, seeing as sata's been out for a while and any system sold within the last few years has ports for it. i'm not sure why optical drives haven't gone that direction as well. seeing as the cable run to the optical is longer than to the hd, it would be nice to use a sata cable for that as well

I think IDE is dead for disks. The thinner cables make management easier, less potential for heat problems, and support for things like port multipliers is cool too. But for DVD/CD drives, there's no need for the speed, and you've usually only got one, so it's not as much of a problem. I would like to see IDE phased out on optical drives as well, though.

i wish it was all ide, and sata, becuase ide requires no driver atm, and is hassle free, plus, alot of high compacity drives are ide

I wish they would stop making IDE drives, so we can see some awesome prices on the SATA ones instead.

hity645 said:
I wish they would stop making IDE drives, so we can see some awesome prices on the SATA ones instead.
I wish that too... Also until hard drives/CD drives can have some kind of revolution so they are actually limited by what IDE provides.

Shameless Liar said:
I wish that too... Also until hard drives/CD drives can have some kind of revolution so they are actually limited by what IDE provides.
True, disk storage in it's current form will probably never even max out ATA-100 (let alone SATA-150 or SATA-3.0Gbps). That's why I think the industry will either move to solid state storage, or a revolutionary new system (maybe that holographic stuff we saw last year).

well, the big problem is that it doesn't need to die. alot of computer standards are replaced by better standards because they can no longer do the job. at 133mbps, the interface is still much faster than the drives it's attached to, and that's not likely to change soon. also, the other way hard drives can improve (size) has nothing to do with the cabling. basically, sata is not pushing ide out because its only real advantage is more convenient cable routing.

What's the sitrep on eSATA? It sounded like the fastest hot swappable external interface last I heard, should be getting big with the video people?

also, a raptor could work on ide, no problem

i wonder why they dont let it

Prolly to push the new interface, I wonder if CD/DVD drivers were to exclusively start to goto SATA if hard drive manufacturers would forget about IDE and go SATA too.

Eventually old stuff does go away, like ISA and now PCI. PCI-E is "where it's at" interface-wise. PATA is OK but annoying, and for the record you can slipstream SATA drivers into your XP CD, it's well documented how to do this. However, Vista shouldn't need "Press F6" if M$ does the job right and includes drivers for SATA. If they want to put in craploads of stuff, they might as well put in something useful, like SATA drivers. IDE will die eventually, or only be found in lower-end systems the way PCI is now. My old Dell has only PCI, so I bought a PCI Radeon VE for it some years ago. But even lower-end systems are starting to migrate. I would imagine the IDE-vs-SATA thing will go down the same way.

Intel took a major step towards burying PATA by going with only one PATA port on 9xx chipsets. However, as others have said, PATA still "just works" for optical drives, unlike SATA optical drives. Until apps like Nero, etc "just work" with SATA ATAPI drives, PATA is going to hang around.

IDE support will be around for a long time, but the production of IDE devices will slow down and stop soon, hopefully. As long as there's at least a single channel sitting incomspicously on the motherboard for an optical drive or an IDE HDD in an emergency, I'll be happy. It's not much of a strain or expense for manufacturers at all.

dkev said:
2 words. Floppy Drive.

Which in some cases is still used very heavily. Whenever I get to a mobo without USB boot support for BIOS upgrades thats the first thing I grab out of the ol obsolete hardware drawer. Hell I still even need serial mice here and there. Theres very few old peripheral technologies ive completely done away with. Still have those old ass AT keyboards in action. :eek:

And since there is no new technology horizon in place for optical drives, IDE will be here for years.

I think IDE will be around for a while, remember how we still need those USB Floppy Drives for RAID drivers. I would say at least 2 to 3 years if not more.

2gigs said:
i wish it was all ide, and sata, becuase ide requires no driver atm, and is hassle free, plus, alot of high compacity drives are ide

On all new motherboards SATA requires no driver.

Every single high capacity drive that is available in IDE is available in SATA....

Problem Solved.

Back