Is Intel trying to help AMD by soldered CPUs?

BBA

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
LGA is Land Grid Array, it's the socketed type Intel have used since forever. The Soldered on version is BGA (Ball Grid Array).

But anyway Intel announced before that they were sticking with LGA "for the foreseeable future". :D

Even if they were soldered on performance would come into it. As AMD are unlikely to offer more CPU performance, even if it was soldered onto the board. All GPUs are soldered onto the board, yet enthusiasts go for them. :D

All GPUs are soldered onto the board, yet enthusiasts go for them. :D

Not even close to the same thing. Your GPU board doesn't determine how many expansion slots you have or how much and how fast RAM you can use or how many USB connections you have and a million other things. Choosing the right motherboard means so much in terms of how your rig will perform, how much it can be upgraded and generally how long you'll keep it.

Doesn't matter cause Intel called BS on this rumor but if they had gone BGA only for Broadwell, that would've been very very bad for the enthusiast crowd.

lol, threadfail

Little known factoid: the B in BGA stands for BAWWWWWWWW.

LGA is Land Grid Array, it's the socketed type Intel have used since forever. The Soldered on version is BGA (Ball Grid Array).

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, I corrected my typo above.

SO there is a litte conflicting information: Intel Broadwell will be BGA but Intel will still offer LGA cpu's in the forseable future.

Could it all possibly mean perhaps Broadwell 14nm will be targeted at el'cheapo all in one systems and another 'codename' will be used for high end LGA chips? Yea, Nea?

Intel already offers BGA Ivy chips so nothing at all is changing, except some reporter made a wrong assumption based on partial information and started a bunch of crap. They'll probably make LGA chips for desktops/laptops, and BGA chips for tablets/ultra-portables.

Last edited:
Intel is planning on offering both types and are not going away from LGA anytime soon ;) Especially for desktops!

BGA is already in use for netbooks/portables.

They were never going to stop making socketed processors.

Right now there are two desktop sockets, 1155, and 2011. The socket that they were talking about discontinuing was the future successor of 1155. They were never talking about doing away with sockets for the successor to 2011.

But socket 2011 chips carry a pretty hefty price premium. You won't be able to get away with buying the cheaper 1155-style chips for 95% of the performance. Of course Intel is happy to have you pay $700 for your 2011-style processor instead of $300 for your 1155-style processor.

SO there is a litte conflicting information: Intel Broadwell will be BGA but Intel will still offer LGA cpu's in the forseable future.
There is no conflicting information.

There are sites which posted an unsubstantiated rumor, based on absolutely no information* at all. Intel stated that it will produce LGA chips for the forseeable future. One is click bait, one is reality.

As what often happens with this type of rumor, it gains a life of its own since some people want to believe it's true. They have become so completely emotionally invested in the idea that reality must be ignored to perpetuate it.

Anyways, Intel has produced BGA processors for many years. Before that, it had other soldered versions such as (C/P)QFP... just like every other x86 chip maker I can think of which hung around after the 80286.

* in the sense information conveys knowledge. I wouldn't call a made up rumor knowledge.

Intel makes and has made both socketed and embedded CPU's.

This will still be the case moving forward and has nothing to do with AMD, but has everything to do with catering to the differing market segments.

Just heard Intel will be making broadwell in BGA packaging, meaning no removable CPU socket. Is this a good thing?
Along with the Surface, Intel might try forcing everyone to buy Intel motherboards just to get the new CPU. Maybe AMD will see this as an opportunity and stay with sockets, they will finally be the enthusiast maker of choice in the future.

Link: http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/intel-broadwell-does-not-come-in-lga-packaging-but-soldered-on-board/

As stated, intel already debunked this rumor, but even if it were true, it wouldn't help AMD. Why would it? Lets say I buy a soldered Intel system and you buy AMD, assuming the same performance parity we have today, you can upgrade your CPU multiple times and I'd still have a faster system. That's before we get to the cold hard facts that very few people, even among enthusiasts upgrade CPU only. What I'm trying to say is, it won't help AMD. The only thing that will help AMD is making a competitive product.

They were never going to stop making socketed processors.

Right now there are two desktop sockets, 1155, and 2011. The socket that they were talking about discontinuing was the future successor of 1155. They were never talking about doing away with sockets for the successor to 2011.

But socket 2011 chips carry a pretty hefty price premium. You won't be able to get away with buying the cheaper 1155-style chips for 95% of the performance. Of course Intel is happy to have you pay $700 for your 2011-style processor instead of $300 for your 1155-style processor.

Thanks, your reply is the most informative here.

As stated, intel already debunked this rumor, but even if it were true, it wouldn't help AMD. Why would it? Lets say I buy a soldered Intel system and you buy AMD, assuming the same performance parity we have today, you can upgrade your CPU multiple times and I'd still have a faster system. That's before we get to the cold hard facts that very few people, even among enthusiasts upgrade CPU only. What I'm trying to say is, it won't help AMD. The only thing that will help AMD is making a competitive product.

Because Ive had 5 CPU's on only 2 motherboards. Wouldnt have been able to do that if the chip was soldered to the board. Yeah youll have better benchmarks but mine will still be plenty fast and Ill be able to pick and choose my own gear. Id rather pay for that and for the guys like me, theyll go with AMD even if it means losing the benchmark and e-peen wars.

You're in the extreme minority, not enough for intel to care about and you went with AMD either way so in essence, no effect to Intels or AMDs bottom line. Most people would rather buy one CPU than 5 and still be slower.

You're in the extreme minority, not enough for intel to care about and you went with AMD either way so in essence, no effect to Intels or AMDs bottom line. Most people would rather buy one CPU than 5 and still be slower.

AMD fanboys will buy AMD. That market share wont change. Intel fanboys will buy Intel. That market share wont change either. Where it could possibly change is with people that prefer Intel but want to choose their own gear and have the potential for upgrading without having to do a motherboard swap and OS reinstall will now have to go AMD. And only the most devoted Intel fanboys would not be pissed off by Intel soldering the chip to the board so youre gonna have some disgruntled fanboys maybe jumping ship strictly out of protest. You read these forums. We techies are always looking for something to be pissed off about and rant and rave about and swear "we'll never ever buy another Brand X products again" and something this drastic could definitely raise the ire or a chunk of enthusiasts.

Im just guessing here and I dont think it would mean AMD would take over majority market share or anything that drastic but I do think it could potentially mean a pretty solid net pickup for AMD.

like 3 other threads on this already, try the search function sometime or check front page news.

I doubt intel is gonna move from lga since id say most users would like to choose their setup and not have to go with preselected stuff

AMD fanboys will buy AMD. That market share wont change. Intel fanboys will buy Intel.

I don't really think there are that many Intel fanboys. When I go to buy a CPU I don't consider AMD CPUs are all. This isn't because of some allegiance to Intel, but because they produce the best performing parts for what I need them for. When I got the main CPU, the best AMD was a lower performing x6 (which was also more expensive).

Now when I was advising someone about a netbook, I told them to get an AMD APU. Why? Because the APUs could handle video/games better than the Atoms. If they had wanted better battery life, and didn't care about games and video, I would have said to get an Atom.

People buy stuff that gives them the most of whatever they want, if it's raw power, efficiency, low cost. The reason more people buy Intel is usually because Intel gives them what they want. It isn't like server owners are a bunch of AMD fanboys. It's just the part that fits their needs. Even if Intel soldered the RAM onto the board people would still buy Intel if it gave them better performance than the competition.

AMD fanboys will buy AMD. That market share wont change. Intel fanboys will buy Intel. That market share wont change either. Where it could possibly change is with people that prefer Intel but want to choose their own gear and have the potential for upgrading without having to do a motherboard swap and OS reinstall will now have to go AMD. And only the most devoted Intel fanboys would not be pissed off by Intel soldering the chip to the board so youre gonna have some disgruntled fanboys maybe jumping ship strictly out of protest. You read these forums. We techies are always looking for something to be pissed off about and rant and rave about and swear "we'll never ever buy another Brand X products again" and something this drastic could definitely raise the ire or a chunk of enthusiasts.

Im just guessing here and I dont think it would mean AMD would take over majority market share or anything that drastic but I do think it could potentially mean a pretty solid net pickup for AMD.

Correct, I do read the forums. That's how I know that even among enthusiasts, only a small handful upgrade their CPU without a complete platform overhaul. Like I said, you're in the minority.

No offense but I think it's naive to say that Intel would do something to help AMD. No way! Intel does whatever most benefits its bottom line.

As RamonGTP posted most people don't upgrade their processor alone, they usually change motherboards and processors at the same time. I am one of these people. If Intel can make significant improvements in power consumption by moving to BGA processors, I think it's worth the trade-off.

My opinion might be a minority though... :D

I don't really think there are that many Intel fanboys. When I go to buy a CPU I don't consider AMD CPUs are all. This isn't because of some allegiance to Intel, but because they produce the best performing parts for what I need them for. When I got the main CPU, the best AMD was a lower performing x6 (which was also more expensive).

Now when I was advising someone about a netbook, I told them to get an AMD APU. Why? Because the APUs could handle video/games better than the Atoms. If they had wanted better battery life, and didn't care about games and video, I would have said to get an Atom.

People buy stuff that gives them the most of whatever they want, if it's raw power, efficiency, low cost. The reason more people buy Intel is usually because Intel gives them what they want. It isn't like server owners are a bunch of AMD fanboys. It's just the part that fits their needs. Even if Intel soldered the RAM onto the board people would still buy Intel if it gave them better performance than the competition.

Agree 100% I have an i5-750 in my main rig and an E-350 in my school netbook for the same reasons you listed.

Back