is it damaged

suqmaster

Limp Gawd
the 6800gt I bought ran at 71 celcius on idle, and I think thats been damaging this card. When I looked at the edges of the card, there were like a spot where like a reddish color appears instead of the whitish or normal color you usually see on the edge of the card. If I knew how to post pics of it here, I would, but until then, does anyone know if this may cause performence damage and stuff?

71C is very hot for idle. May card is not that hot on full load.

yea there is something going on there my card at idle hits about 54 celcius depending on ambient, and while loaded it will get to about 72-78 and thats oc'd to ultra speeds.

It might be possible that the fan assembly on your card was not seated correctly, or got knocked loose some how.

And what kind of card was it? Vanilla, or from BFG and the like.

jagaroni said:
It might be possible that the fan assembly on your card was not seated correctly, or got knocked loose some how.

And what kind of card was it? Vanilla, or from BFG and the like.

My card is a bfg 6800gt, but it isn't the ones with one fan, it has the same two fan setup as the bfg 6800nu

Thats probably the reason right there... those BFG custom HSFs are pretty bad.

Hmm i have the BFG 6800 GT OC version, and i left the stock cooler setup on there, and my temps at idle are 58-62 depending on room temp.

I just blew a blow hole on my side panel right where my 6800gt sits and then took my exhaust fan and put it on to the side panel since i'm too lazy to go get another fan today. it runs at about 65 celcius while running an internet site or two. Is this normal?
By the way, the room temp is 83 fareinhait, I would convert it to celcius, but i'm too dumb

suqmaster said:
I just blew a blow hole on my side panel right where my 6800gt sits and then took my exhaust fan and put it on to the side panel since i'm too lazy to go get another fan today. it runs at about 65 celcius while running an internet site or two. Is this normal?
By the way, the room temp is 83 fareinhait, I would convert it to celcius, but i'm too dumb

83?? i would kill myself lol.

lucky, i cant get my parents to keep my ac below 90, cause they want thiers on cooler than mine.. i bet thier side is about 73f....the a-holes!

Liam said:
Thats probably the reason right there... those BFG custom HSFs are pretty bad.

Liam, i have heard this also. but what is bad about them? do you have any reviews to point me to or experience with these custom fans? I am using a BFG 6800 GT OC with the custom cooler as well. In fact, this site reviewed the 6800NU with this HSF and said it was better than the reference, which i tend to agree with, for simple logical reasons (larger HS surface area, copper, 2 fans, ect)

I am just curious where you have seen/heard this from, b/c i have been looking for more info/reviews (temp comparisons) of this custom HSF. Thanks for your help.

Back