Is it me or are the textures in Rage blurry?

LordBritish

2[H]4U
I started playing Rage recently and I noticed that the textures all seem a little fuzzy.

I'm not that old yet !!!

I tried the 8K texture tweak but the textures are still fuzzy.

Is there anything I can do to sharpen them ?

There are a bunch of things you can change in the config, but it still doesn't look great even after you do.

LMFAO where have you been oh Lord British ;)

Was thinking the same thing. I think the internet forgot to copy him on the memo. What surprises me is that to this day I see people on here claiming to not be experiencing the issue despite the fact that Carmack took the time to issue a statement of apology....on behalf of everyone that isn't him or his company.

I'm not slamming people claiming to not have the issue. I just wish there was some target configuration for optimal experience with this game. I wanna say Carmack stated youre supposed to play it on an Iphone a while back or some such.

--"You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." -W. Hearst

there is another patch incoming...but apparently Carmack is waiting for AMD to get their drivers working properly first

ÀMD´s rage driver have been out for quite a bit, so the statement is bogus.

In any case the only way to "fix" the textures would be a 30GB+ texture pack.

It's not a "problem" so much it is a design choice, the game features lots and lots of unique but very low resolution textures, it would require a massive texture pack, something in the order of 80Gb to give the whole game a high resolution texture overhaul.

It looks like the goal of megatexture wasn't so much to improve graphics for the PC but to overcome the tiny memory budgets of the console platforms, PC gamers were really duped with this one.

Rage was a good game but I enjoyed Deus ex a little more.

Really? I am just glad I didn't pay more than $15 for it, and not because of the various technical issues, but entirely because it was such a mediocre and forgettable experience.

I would not play this game even if it came bundled for free with my video card. I would promptly use the CD as a frisbee.

RAGE is a tech demo and nothing more. I saw nothing about the game, content wise, that should of taken 5+ years to make. The only reason you even got 20 hours out of it is because you revisit the same area's multiple times. It was still pretty fun though.

I'm waiting for the (final?) patch/download content that ID said was coming to play the game. ID is still stating that they are waiting for stable AMD drivers..that is bullshit as AMD has had RAGE drivers for a while now and since I have an NV card now its even more frustrating.

I'm waiting for the (final?) patch/download content that ID said was coming to play the game. ID is still stating that they are waiting for stable AMD drivers..that is bullshit as AMD has had RAGE drivers for a while now and since I have an NV card now its even more frustrating.

I'm waiting for pigs to fly by my window, too. ;)

On top of a 20 Gb game? :eek:

The game isn't 20gb, the code is as small as any other game code, BUT, due to the nature of megatexture, the size is indeed over 2 times as per standard due to sheer texture size (each lvl = 1 texture); so if you want to increase the texture quality, you would have to increase texture resolution and that means an increase in texture size which indeed, would be of quite some GB's.

Full quality inhouse, Rage is a 1TB game according to Carmack himself. Let's say that you compress it with no loss of quality and with the best case scenario of 4:1 compression, you are still looking at a 250GB game for full quality.Reduce the texture quality by 1/4 (half the width and half the height information), and you are looking at a ~63GB texture pack, halve the quality and you would be seeing that ~30gb texture pack, and this is in a perfect setting that doesn't exist in reality.

Sooo, yeah, MegaTexture isn't something for the PC market, it is something for consoles with physical media in mind instead of digital distribution, and mobile market because of the scalability of the graphics while keeping the performance up-ish

The game isn't 20gb, the code is as small as any other game code, BUT, due to the nature of megatexture, the size is indeed over 2 times as per standard due to sheer texture size (each lvl = 1 texture); so if you want to increase the texture quality, you would have to increase texture resolution and that means an increase in texture size which indeed, would be of quite some GB's.

Full quality inhouse, Rage is a 1TB game according to Carmack himself. Let's say that you compress it with no loss of quality and with the best case scenario of 4:1 compression, you are still looking at a 250GB game for full quality.Reduce the texture quality by 1/4 (half the width and half the height information), and you are looking at a ~63GB texture pack, halve the quality and you would be seeing that ~30gb texture pack, and this is in a perfect setting that doesn't exist in reality.

Sooo, yeah, MegaTexture isn't something for the PC market, it is something for consoles with physical media in mind instead of digital distribution, and mobile market because of the scalability of the graphics while keeping the performance up-ish

It's just fucking ironic that the game is so large because of something called "MegaTexture", yet the game looks like vomit on a canvas.

Rage looks good, but the textures vary in quality. Texture pop-in still occurs even with the settings maxed. Overall I thought the game was decent, but once you move from Wellspring to Subway Town it's just more of the same shit, and it feels like a chore to get through to the end. I had much more fun with Bulletstorm, which had better graphics IMO.

It's just fucking ironic that the game is so large because of something called "MegaTexture", yet the game looks like vomit on a canvas.

And then a huge game like Skyrim comes out and it was only 6GB out of the box.

It looked pretty out of the box and certainly way better than this game.

Now get this: Here I am now with a TON of high rez texture mods including 2K Full which is 2048x2048 overhaul and for all that action on a huge game like Skyrim, 10.8 GB for all of it.

And then a huge game like Skyrim comes out and it was only 6GB out of the box.

It looked pretty out of the box and certainly way better than this game.

Now get this: Here I am now with a TON of high rez texture mods including 2K Full which is 2048x2048 overhaul and for all that action on a huge game like Skyrim, 10.8 GB for all of it.

It's because skyrim uses tiled repeated textures and rage doesn't (however much they look repeated). Going high resolution on a few hundred squares isn't going to be as huge as a single texture for the whole world.

Rage looks good, but the textures vary in quality. Texture pop-in still occurs even with the settings maxed. Overall I thought the game was decent, but once you move from Wellspring to Subway Town it's just more of the same shit, and it feels like a chore to get through to the end. I had much more fun with Bulletstorm, which had better graphics IMO.

There is not one thing that looks good about Rage to me. Honestly, I think NOLF from 2001 looks about as good.

There is not one thing that looks good about Rage to me. Honestly, I think NOLF from 2001 looks about as good.
I thought the level design in the outside areas was good, but the inside areas and town areas were mostly meh. Like all of id software games, it felt like a tech demo.

AMD released a beta driver for RAGE but it looks like Carmack is still not happy with it...AMD needs to get their **** together

I dunno what Rage you played, but my Rage game sure is over 20 Gb.... u jelly? :eek:

Rage.jpg

Total size. I think he's referring to the core game size without textures, thus demonstrating texture file size.

You got it right.

But it was mostly obvious to anyone who actually read my post, and not just sees the pretty letters.

AMD released a beta driver for RAGE but it looks like Carmack is still not happy with it...AMD needs to get their **** together

Since you dont seem to be able to understand on your own, I will help you out, Rage sucks and Carmack is trying to pass blame onto someone other then himself and his pathetic excuse of a "game studio."

Last edited:
Where did you hear that Carmack isn't happy with the new driver?

some things do not need to be read to be confirmed...the latest AMD beta drivers state that it is optimized for an upcoming update of RAGE...this was 3 weeks ago...obviously the new beta driver did not satisfy Carmack otherwise the patch would be out by now...the patch has been ready for a long time and Carmack has previously stated that he was waiting for AMD to fix their drivers...2+2=4

TBH Its no less blurry than skyrim...:p

Parts of Skyrim's graphics are really bad, but parts are really good too. It's also a much larger world in a much smaller package (7GB vs. 20GB). It also has full mod support and will have third party texture packs and already has numerous graphical and performance enhancements.

Also helps that the game itself is about ten billion times better than Rage.

Back