Is it normal for a HDD of the same brand, same model, same firmware and same revision

An00bis

Weaksauce
I RMA'd a drive and got one that's on average about 8-10MB/s slower. Is this normal? I'm planning to make it a OS drive.

I'm talking about the WD10EZEX from western digital.

If you are doing a fair test. I mean comparing benchmarks on drives that are equally full. It could be that the RMA has factory remapped sectors in the area that is tested. Remember that when you get a drive back from RMA it was most likely someone else's bad drive that was repaired. Or are you talking about hdtune type benchmarking?

If you are doing a fair test. I mean comparing benchmarks on drives that are equally full. It could be that the RMA has factory remapped sectors in the area that is tested. Remember that when you get a drive back from RMA it was most likely someone else's bad drive that was repaired. Or are you talking about hdtune type benchmarking?
Yes to the last question. And I compared them when they were both empty. So it means a faulty drive got repaired and they sent me that crap? Damn... as if it was my fault they sent a broken one in the first place. I'm even sadder because the new one wasn't even defective, it just had a minor "problem" that I read is very common among some drives from WD. I should've spent the 80$ on charity not on this crap.

Anyways, HDtune says the newer drive has about 141-142MB/s while the older one had 148-149MB/s. They have the same firmware, they're the same model, same everything according to HDTune. WD10EZEX-00BN5A0

Last edited:
So it means a faulty drive got repaired and they sent me that crap? Damn... as if it was my fault they sent a broken one in the first place.

There is no guaranty that the drive you get back from an RMA will be better (or even as good) than the one you send them. This is why I recommend only sending in a drive when you thoroughly tested and verified that it is bad (a few reallocated sectors is not necessarily bad).

There is no guaranty that the drive you get back from an RMA will be better (or even as good) than the one you send them. This is why I recommend only sending in a drive when you verified that it is bad (a few reallocated sectors is not necissarily bad).
I'll keep that in mind next time I do this, I never RMA'd a HDD before, usually they lasted until after their warranty, so I have no experience with this.

So there's no way to find out if this is a crappy refurbished driive? it's the same model, same everything, but the speed is a bit lower than the one I RMA'd. Maybe I got lucky and they sent a new one because it's a new, popular product?

It would have rectified printed on the label if it was repaired.
I don't see anything like that on the label. I looked for "refurbished" "rectified" "recertified". Does this mean it's new? I did send it back the day I got it, maybe they took that into account and sent a new one.

That is a possibility. If the repair facility does not have any recirtified drives in stock you get a new one. Although in that case I am not sure why it would perform worse. However this is not that big of a difference.

I don't see the problem here. All hard drives are slow. What did you expect?

I don't see the problem here. All hard drives are slow. What did you expect?
I was wondering why it's slower than another drive that was the same model and had the same firmware, what's wrong with this question? Sorry if I made you angry.

sometimes hdtune can be pretty crappy with it's benching. I've had different results benching the same drive ffs.

either way, it's a tiny tiny difference and you're just peeling hairs apart now... just roll with it.

also, last time i RMAd a drive i got a larger one back, and they sent two by mistake. which was nice.

I RMA'd a drive and got one that's on average about 8-10MB/s slower. Is this normal? I'm planning to make it a OS drive.
It is not unusual to see a ~5% variation in sequential performance between drives of the same make/model(/fw). (Firmware version has negligible effect on seq performance.)

The seq performance for a particular sample of a drive is totally determined during the factory low-level formatting of that drive. Variations [in seq performance] (between samples) is introduced (by that formatting procedure) based on (measured) variations (in quality) of the platter surfaces, [and, to a lesser extent, the heads].

--UhClem

It is not unusual to see a ~5% variation in sequential performance between drives of the same make/model(/fw). (Firmware version has negligible effect on seq performance.)

The seq performance for a particular sample of a drive is totally determined during the factory low-level formatting of that drive. Variations [in seq performance] (between samples) is introduced (by that formatting procedure) based on (measured) variations (in quality) of the platter surfaces, [and, to a lesser extent, the heads].

--UhClem
Thank you for your very informative answer! That's what I wanted to know! I don't care about the difference but I was curious about that difference. I also saw my same HDD model get 200MB/s based on other people's benchmarks, so I was just wondering why these differences exist considering how precisely built a HDD is.

Back