is it possible to paint heat pipes

lekyiscool

Weaksauce
hi im wondering if its possible to paint the heatpipes on an asus p5b delux ?? and with what paint if it is possible

thanks

Don't see why not. There are paints made specifically for painting items that will get hot (such as pipes, grills, etc.)

Make sure to not paint what is touching the heat source.

And I'm wondering if paint will not reduce/prevent a bit the heat dispersion...

Well, it might slightly reduce performance but to be honest its not the pipes that dissapate the heat effectively though they may a bit. It is the fins of the sink that do the dissipation, so as long as you don't paint those you shouldn't lose and performance.

I thought about painting the very edges of my sink (The edge at the cut of each fin) to get a grill effect with some UV paint.

I'd try it out :D but more importantly see if paint thinner or other removal liquids/compounds would damage the pipes so you can take it off.

well so i can prolly pian the pipes but not the fins ?? any way i could do this or is it just not recomended the zalman 9700 or something like htat has the fins painted black but im not sure if its paint or what

You could colour anodize it and it won't affect performace at all.

Not if it's copper...

The EDGES of the heatsink fins can be painted... by hand... with a small brush, but that's really your only option.

I'm really interested to see how Zalman does it though. I'm assuming a zinc or cobalt plating, which is then died black.

yea i guesss prolly not the best idea
what about spraypainting sata 2 cables ???

as long as you dont put paint on the connectors there's no problem. But you'll need paint for rubber, since the wire are made out of rubber/plastic/thingy and flexible, you'll need a paint made for those "spec" or it wont last long

You need to use a powder coat paint for metals or something right? I think that would end up trapping heat in the pipes though.

The pipes and top/sides of the block can be painted and you won't see very much of a difference in temperature at all. We paint all our heat exchangers and heat pipes at work. No adverse reactions, but they are on a much larger scale. Just don't paint the bottom where it is in contact with the chip, or don't paint the fins. :p

if you paint them with thin black paint you might even get an improvement in heat dissipation as black is better at radiating heat than other colours (thats why heatsinks at the back of fridges are black) so if you make the layer thin enough you wont create much of an insulating layer and so may have an improvement.

intresting if i plan to do this what type of paint should i use the type they use for automobile engines high enamel paint or something like that i forgot what it is called

if you paint them with thin black paint you might even get an improvement in heat dissipation as black is better at radiating heat than other colours (thats why heatsinks at the back of fridges are black) so if you make the layer thin enough you wont create much of an insulating layer and so may have an improvement.

i thought black absorbed heat better..

ok coming from some of my car knowledge. black will disapate heat better, many car guys paint their radiators black just for this. You should be able to paint the fins and pipes as long as you don't get it too thick, think one or two thin coats. If you are worried about the paint flaking off because of the heat they make heat resistent paint that is used to give headers a color, think 1200-1800* of protection.

As long as you have good case temps and perhaps a fan near the heatsink or better yet on it then you'll be fine.

Radiators are painted black for better heat dissipation as for those in cars and those at the back of a fridge. Here's one thing that's been in my mind since I was in Grade 6...

Why the hell do we wear dark-colored clothes when the weather gets freezing? We help our body to lose heat more effectively?

Some say dark colors absorb heat better and that's why black clothes are preferred in winter. But how would you explain the radiator-theory?

Trust me, this black color thing is a self-contradiction! I've no idea what the black color actually does to heat absorption / dissipation. Either way... I don't know...:confused:

Black absorbs heat (radiation) better and also radiates heat better. The heat we are talking about is heat from radiation such as light.

That said. In the winter, there is an abundance of sunlight even though the air is cold and so the black absorbs that heat better than white. If you are cold and dark, you would want to wear white to prevent the heat from radiating out.

So lets say you have a comforter with one side black and one side white. In the winter you would want the black side facing you to keep you warm and to prevent the heat from radiating out into the room on the white side. In the summer, you would turn it around which would radiate less heat on you and radiate more to the air.

Finally, These effects are not as profound as they sound. They are measurable, but not something you should worry about at temperatures that are not extreme

if the black object is warmer than the surrounding environment then it will radiate heat
if the black object is colder than the surrounding environment then it will absorb heat
and to bring it back to the topic the heatpipes and fins will, like car radiators or fridge radiators, be hotter than the surrounding environment and so will emit heat better if they are painted black

Back