Is it possible to use a socket A HSF on a socket 7?

TekieB

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old socket 7 450mhz k7 that I want to set up as a dns and domain server (as well as a folding boxen) And the only heat sink I have lying arround is a Socket A one. It looks like it fits, the clips line up, but it just "looks" odd.

The only thing that should really matter is if the HS is making good contact with the CPU when attached. After that its just a matter of checking temps to see how it is performing.

Have you checked the manufacturers Website to see if they have any info on whether it works on Soc 7's? Prob wouldnt but doesnt hurt to check.

Socket A HSFs work just fine with socket 7 ZIFs. It keeps Pentium I systems really cool, even without the fan spinning :)

Elledan said:
Socket A HSFs work just fine with socket 7 ZIFs. It keeps Pentium I systems really cool, even without the fan spinning :)

Yeah, thats what I was thinking on my K6...nice silent server in my living room

TekieB said:
Yeah, thats what I was thinking on my K6...nice silent server in my living room
A volcano 5 with the fan at 7v can keep a K62+ 450 cool silently.

TekieB said:
I have an old socket 7 450mhz k7 that I want to set up as a dns and domain server (as well as a folding boxen) And the only heat sink I have lying arround is a Socket A one. It looks like it fits, the clips line up, but it just "looks" odd.

It all depends on the Maximum Theoretical Power Output of the cpu you have. According to this document at AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/21850.pdf
You're looking at ~29W...

A good Socket A cooler has to deal with a minimum Theoretical Power Output of ~21W (Duron 550, D0550AUT1B) all the way up to a Maximum Theoretical Power Output of ~77W (XP-3200+, AXDA3200KV4E), http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/assets/con...ssets/K7_Electrical_Specification_Rev_ENG.pdf

Bottom line, if you have a Socket A cooler that can efficiently cool a 3200+ then it is an exceptionally adequate heatsink for a socket 7 application.

You may even be able to set your K7's multiplier to 2 add some Vcore and hit 6x100. The multipliers on the K7 will default to 6 when the '2" multiplier setting is used.

Good Luck

MD

Back