Is it Time to Reconsider Firefox?

use the most popular software, get the most vulnerabilities simple fact.
the more it gets used the more people will write malware for it.

I used FireFox for years. Loaded it up w/ all kinds of addons, blockers, noscripts, greasemonkey, etc.

Then I got Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and started using IE 8. Man, what a difference in speed and stability! I still use FireFox at work some, but I don't miss it at all at home.

64 bit IE + InPrivate browsing >>> FireFox + any plugin/addon/blocker

yeah it's great but need 64 bit flash for lots of sites

Also with well known web site getting hit and exploited, it isn't going to always be user error, i cant wait until a site like cnn.com or something gets nailed and starts getting access to people's computer, all those people who claim they need no AV and no antispyware / malware apps cause they browser safe :rolleyes:

CNN as well as many major sites have already been cracked. If the web users would have been using NoScript+ABP they would have been safe. When those attacks take place the malicious scripts are served up in advertisements. Also the malicious content in question (javascript/flash/pdf) gets served up from separate domains, not on the domain that the user is actually visiting, for example cnn.com.

Fire up NoScript then visit cnn.com. You will see that javascript is being served up on their homepage from 5 different domains. Two of which are for advertising. Go to Foxnews.com and you will notice 7 different domains trying to execute scripts, 6 of which are for advertisers :eek:. Who knows what is executing from those sites in your local javascript engine :eek:. It gets even worse when you visit other lesser known websites, including many smaller computer hardware review sites. :eek:

I have not used AV in years. Never had a virus. I use FF+NoScript+ABP and have a few other tricky mechanisms in place to keep safe. I used to remove viruses and spyware 12 hours a day at work. An intelligent and educated user with the correct script blocking software is a safe web user.

Until other browsers get Adblock Plus and No Script, I'll stick to FireFox. Oddly, it's those plug-ins that make FireFox so safe to use. It should really be a part of FireFox.

Opera has had adblocking and script control for years.

You might want to actually try other browsers before you make uninformed statements about them.

Firefox's performance issues really came to light to me on my netbook... Chrome and even IE are far better performing on it (Win7 here)

Well Opera's just in an odd position where you still need to run IE or firefox for some sites, such as Gmail and ~10% of the other websites out there because they just don't work with Opera. Other than that it's a wonderful browser.
I'll give you that a few sites need IE or FF, but Gmail? I've used Gmail and Opera together since Gmail started? I've also been using Google Voice and Wave without issues.

Maybe it is, ive been noticing FF getting more and more bloated and crashing more over the past year and a half. I just clicked the big blue E imported my FF bookmarks and IE is mopping the floor in speed on my old AMD 3200 HTPC. The hardcore guys will be all back to MS before its said and done.

Maybe it is, ive been noticing FF getting more and more bloated and crashing more over the past year and a half. I just clicked the big blue E imported my FF bookmarks and IE is mopping the floor in speed on my old AMD 3200 HTPC. The hardcore guys will be all back to MS before its said and done.

IE is still far and away the slowest browser of the bunch.

As for the article itself, reported vulnerabilities are irrelevant. What actually matters is the number of *exploited* vulnerabilities. Which would you rather have, a browser with 100 reported vulnerabilities but only a single exploit in the wild, or a browser with 10 reported vulnerabilities, 5 of which are exploited in the wild?

I'll reconsider using Firefox when something better is available.

IE is still crap. Takes forever to render anything more complex than Google, chokes on JavaScript, and still lags far behind when it comes to web standards. Its getting better, though, but still *waaaay* far behind the competition.

Chrome is buggy and unstable. Not only that, but its "themes" and "extensions" are a joke. Changing the window color and setting a background image isn't a theme (and why do you want a background image for your web browser anyway? Usually there is a web page covering it up...). And from what I've seen of Chrome's extensions, they are little more than bookmarks in the toolbar - big whoop.

Opera is pretty good, but it has a few quirks that bother me and I don't like the lack of customizations.

Firefox is rock solid, I can leave it open for weeks with no issue (or slowdowns), has real extension and theme support, and has the aptly named awesome bar. Also, I don't know what you guys are doing to get Firefox to leak memory, but I have a handful of extensions installed, Firefox has been running for ~5 days, I have two windows open with 24 tabs open total and memory usage is hovering around 450mb.

I used to use IE7 up until I heard about Firefox so many years ago, probably five years ago. At that time, Firefox wasn't that well known nor was it as used much. It also was incompatible with a lot of websites because many were using proprietary Microsoft Javascript, HTML and CSS code from the IE6 days that didn't comply with W3C standards. I hate that so much when I started to get into HTML and PHP coding heavily.

Now, I use Firefox much more than IE since FF is now compatible with 98% of the websites out there save for a few that refuse to run in Firefox because they are probably in some hidden collusion with Microsoft. Who knows?

Firefox has been for the most part a trial and error, and a love-hate relationship. However, even if I have Chrome installed, I still use FF for the majority of what I do on the Internet-- blog posting, web page testing, reading news, blogs and forums, etc.

I've only disliked the fact on how much memory it uses when I have something like 20-plus tabs open. Then again, Chrome does similar and when you open Task Manager you would see multiple chrome.exe processes. Those do add up.

Like one said above, until IE and Opera have add-ons, I'm sticking with Firefox. It just simply works and I have it configured the way I want it, something IE, Chrome and Opera can't match. I have Firebug, FireFTP, AdBlock, NoScript, FlashGot, Greasemonkey. You can't find that in Opera nor IE, and at the moment, only AdBlock and a few equivalents in Chrome.

I'm currently using Chrome with Extensions, but it's so early to tell how good or bad it is at the moment. It's not close to what Firefox offers, but it'll probably get there.

No mention of Chrome in there.

Since all those numbers add up to 100%, does that mean that Chrome is 0% vulnerable?

Glad I've been using it for months now. =)

For me on this computer IE was faster (shurg) Im going to use opera for while it seems to be the fastest of the 3. Add ons are overhyped anyhoo.For me:)

Firefox has been pissing me off, lagging alot and crashing at least once a day.

I have a quad core system and 4 gigs of ram win7 this should not be happening I got chrome and it is faster no crashes as of yet but I like the feel of IE and Firefox.

Firefox likes to crash on my computers so I don't use it. IE handles the workload I throw at it better but Opera would be a better choice possibly if I was more accustom to it. Haven't used Chrome.

I have a quad core system and 4 gigs of ram win7 this should not be happening I got chrome and it is faster no crashes as of yet but I like the feel of IE and Firefox.

Try opera out, ive been tweaking it all morning, its growing on me. It blazing fast to.

I have the same problem since the update to 3.5.6..its aggravating me to the point of an uninstall....which I just may do today...

Any recent tests to prove this, for any of the browsers? i thought a year or 2 ago IE was getting back to good speeds...

I haven't had Firefox crash on any computer in months and it doesn't feel much slower than using Chrome. Maybe you guys have a bad addon or something?

I haven't had Firefox crash on any computer in months and it doesn't feel much slower than using Chrome. Maybe you guys have a bad addon or something?

Different sites are geared to different browsers. Some imageboards couldn't load in Firefox without crashing but IE and Opera did fine. That was fixed about 4 months back. Might have been fixed by the sites though. They weren't the most populated imageboards though so most people never would have experienced it, I will admit that. ;)

Firefox uses too much memory and also tends to be more CPU intensive. I used to use Firefox but now I have switched to IE. I found IE to be excellent at memory management and the CPU utilization while playing flash is the lowest among all other browsers

Chrome plus the extensions is also an excellent choice. I still prefer IE, but Chrome is good

Firefox uses too much memory and also tends to be more CPU intensive. I used to use Firefox but now I have switched to IE. I found IE to be excellent at memory management and the CPU utilization while playing flash is the lowest among all other browsers

You can blame Adobe for that. The IE plugin is an ActiveX control that performs better than the plugin for every other browser. I'm wondering if that will finally start changing now that Adobe is going to start adding GPU acceleration to the mix.

I was also fine until I got the 3.5.6 version....I just went back to 3.0.15 and my crashes went away

3.5.6, just like the other sub-versions before it, performs fine for me. Not a single crash. Some of you having issues probably have a plug-in issue.

Just to make sure you guys are aware, Adblocking is explicitly against the rules of both [H]ard|OCP and [H]ardforums. Don't end up like F1N3ST.

Dont be a ridiculous tattletale, people can do whatever they want with their own browsers

Dont be a ridiculous tattletale, people can do whatever they want with their own browsers

I'm not being a tattletale. I'm enforcing the rules of the forum and providing a warning to anyone that does so. If Kyle finds out that you adblock the site, you get blocked yourself. You have every right to block ads, but Kyle reserves the right block you if you do so. This website is a free website due to the revenue that is generated from ads. Blocking ads is tantamount to stealing content.

Before you go running your mouth, you might want to check out the rules AND look at the bottom of the page as to who the moderator of this forum is.

For the last year, FF has given me so much shit, it started after an update awhile back.

First issue:

After browsing for an hour, FF would hog a ton of resources

2nd:

Flash freezing, doesn't happen on IE, hmmm?

3rd: Would max out my internet connection, only way to stop it was to block firefox via firewall, then restart.

4th:

I used to love it, but damn, it can be a piece of shit!

I'm not being a tattletale. I'm enforcing the rules of the forum and providing a warning to anyone that does so. If Kyle finds out that you adblock the site, you get blocked yourself. You have every right to block ads, but Kyle reserves the right block you if you do so. This website is a free website due to the revenue that is generated from ads. Blocking ads is tantamount to stealing content.

Before you go running your mouth, you might want to check out the rules AND look at the bottom of the page as to who the moderator of this forum is.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not your job to be enforcing the [H] rules, so you should probably stop trying to play mini-mod and use the report post button instead.

...and here's some tissue for that brown-stained nose of yours.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not your job to be enforcing the [H] rules, so you should probably stop trying to play mini-mod and use the report post button instead.

Ummm he is a mod ;)

It is my job to enforce the rules. You need to read my post more closely. :)

Ill give you a hint...the report post button goes to his inbox..:)

Some people obviously do not completely read posts :rolleyes:

Ill give you a hint...the report post button goes to his inbox..:)

redundancy.jpg

Okay, that was a fun diversion, but back on topic, ladies and gentlemen!

Is chrome compatible with windows 7 yet?

& running 3.5.6 without any issues on w7 64 bit for awhile.

Back