Is it worth it?

Endurancevm

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone upgraded from a X1900XT/XTX or X1950XTX to a 8800GTS 640? Was it worth it? I don't play Oblivion, are any other games worth the upgrade from my card to a 8800GTS?

I dont care about Oblivion. Im asking subjective views on the upgrade/sidegrade from X1950/X1900 to 8800GTS.

I don't have personal experience, but....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd-2900-games_3.html#sect1

That'll give you the numbers. Sometimes the X1950XTX actually wins over the 8800GTS, but not often, and rarely if ever at resolutions of 1600x1200 and above. So unless you're gaming on an old CRT or a 19" or smaller LCD, you will benefit pretty much across the board with the GTS. It's not super clear in that review if they're using a 320MB GTS or 640MB, and I don't know enough about the numbers they normally post to say, but they're good numbers, so I'd say it's fairly safe to assume a 640. You'd think it would be clear. (I read the first few pages twice trying to fine it...)

They're close to equal, i wouldn't consider that an upgrade, its more or less straight across.

Yay for charts at a biased site such as toms hardware, in the real world they are very similar, all i'm saying is that I would not bother to upgrade from a 1950XTX to a 8800GTS, hardly worth buying a new card for the minuscule increase

The dudes right, theres not a huge difference in fps (if you ignore the whole % increase logic)

for instance, if 1950xtx got 1fps and gts got 2 (thats a 100% increase in fps), but in reality they're both gonna be a slideshow.

I read somewhere on [H] that you should try to pick the games you like (or would like to play) and then compare those and see which gets you better frames at your current monitors resolution.

Hard did a few reviews on this. Sadly they only had a 256meg ATI card (i take it you have a 512 one?)

If you have a 256meg ATI card, then the 8800 GTS 320 will allow you to play at higher resolutions and use a higher level of AA (and on NFS Carbon it allows you to max the settings and use motion blur)

source

source 2

That said, if you're paying ~$270 for the 320MB, might as well pay $310-320 for the 640MB and be able to hit higher res in the future.

Back