Is my 7900gt on its way out?

Mojo3k70

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, a few days ago I started to recieve a few minor artifacts (black shards / checkerboard patterns) in a few of my active games (WoW, Fear, C&C 3 and even speckles in Diablo 2). As a result, I started to fiddle with drivers and even went through with a total reinstall of windows (reformat). This seemed to have cleared the problem for a limited amount of time, but the artifacts returned. I have monitored my temps constantly, and at no point does the gpu go over 68C (even when using rthdribl demo).

What is also odd, is that when I tab out of a game bfriefly that is artifacting, It will clear it up for a set amount of time (10 -30 min) then return to its previous glitched state.

I should also note that I can see spots and miscolored speckles in my bios and boot screen.

Card again is a BFG 7900gt Pci -e

Edit: my system specs are as follows:
Asus A8N sli se
BFG 7900gt pcie @stock
Athlon x2 3800+ 939 @ stock
1.5 gigs Kingston value mem
Enermax 535w

Here are a few shots I have taken to illustrate my issue:

That looks like a card preparing to die.. at least that's what it looks like to me....

Yes, get ready to RMA. A good way to make sure is to underclock the card 100MHz or so on the core and memory and the artifacts should take longer to appear or go away.

This is a known issue with a lot of 7900 GTs. I had the same problem with my evga 7900 GT. You can Google around for it, but the bottom line is you have to RMA. Short-term fixes include adding cooling or underclocking. Long-term, the car will be dead in 3D and if I recall correctly also 2D.

After I RMA'd my card, this issue has not yet returned. I received a refurb of a different board revision, so I am not sure if the issue was with the board or the GPU. I hope the problem does not reappear.

Back