Is my brand new video card bad?

giant22000

n00b
Just received my Galaxy MDT and installed it. The BOIS recognizes the card in the PCIe slot but the MoBo will not boot. It just gets hung up in a boot loop until I power off and pull the Galaxy MDT. At this point everything is normal and boots fine. This is my first experience with video cards as I've always used integrated graphics. Does this sound like a bad card?

This is a Galaxy MDT GeForce GT610. Not a very power hungry card. I don't see any power plug-in for this video card. Correct me if I'm wrong b/c I'm definitely no video card guru, but this is not a very power hungry card and gets it's power from the PCIe slot. Probably should have mentioned the card I'm using in first post. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

It's kind of hard to help without knowing the rest of the system (specifics). Primarily let us know what power supply you have (if OEM list voltages) and the motherboard (sometimes they issue BIOS updates to fix video card compatibility problems).

Shot in the dark, does your MB have onboard video? If it does did you disable it in the BIOS?

It's kind of hard to help without knowing the rest of the system (specifics). Primarily let us know what power supply you have (if OEM list voltages) and the motherboard (sometimes they issue BIOS updates to fix video card compatibility problems).

Here is a picture of the voltages on the PSU.
The mobo is an intel dh67bl. There are updates for this BIOS on intel's website and was just thinking of updating it and giving it another go.

I'm not running an oc'd cpu (i5-2400) and the rest of the components are just basic computer build parts.

rosewillpsu.jpg

Shot in the dark, does your MB have onboard video? If it does did you disable it in the BIOS?

Yes it does have onboard video but I'm afraid that if I do disable it I won't be able to get any video if the card is bad.

That card requires a minimum 12V current rating of 18A.

I did notice that but figured that with the very light system that I already had, the current draw would sufficient. lol, maybe my understanding is a little skewed.

So, would this most definitely be the problem or just a possiblity?

Update the BIOS, it could help. Honestly, you need to give us more information.. give us the full specs of your computer and what you've done.

Full specs:

Intel DH67BL mobo
i5-2400 cpu
crucial 8gb ballistix ram
lite-on dvd writer
rosewill multi card reader plugged into one of the mobo usb ports
500gb western digital hdd - primary
1tb seagate hdd - slave
rosewill case and psu (450w)

Off to update bios...

Hope it works. Also, just as a general question, why are you using a 610? The HD4000 in the i5 is pretty powerful.

Guys, the GT 610 doesn't require a lot of power. I've got GT 640's working fine in HP desktop systems with 300W power supplies. The power supply is not the issue at hand here.

It's probably doing a BSOD and reboot due to driver conflicts. For which, I would remove the Galaxy card, uninstall the Intel IGP drivers, stick the card back again and boot the system. If it doesn't BSOD and reboot, then you're OK. Install the Nvidia drivers at that point and see what happens. Some users have reported various issues with the 310.xx series of drivers from Nvidia. I would recommend stepping back to 306.xx/307.xx.

As per working with Intel Desktop Motherboards, I always update the BIOS before adding any discrete hardware to the system.

At this point giant, you're going to have to see if the graphics card is at fault or the motherboard. I've yet to see a graphics card that was DOA, and the graphics card is much cheaper to replace than the motherboard. If you are still stuck in boot loops after replacing the graphics card, ditch the Intel desktop board for something better.

At this point giant, you're going to have to see if the graphics card is at fault or the motherboard. I've yet to see a graphics card that was DOA, and the graphics card is much cheaper to replace than the motherboard. If you are still stuck in boot loops after replacing the graphics card, ditch the Intel desktop board for something better.

I was afraid of that. I do have some funny acting USB 3.0 ports on this board so it wouldn't surprise if the slot is faulty.

I'll probably go to Best Buy and purchase the cheapest video card I can find just prove out the mobo.

Now, I'm off to take my fustrations out on some black ops II. Thanks to all who helped and I'll post back when I get to the bottom of it.

This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask. When you put the video card in are you attaching the monitor cable to the video card? If yes have you tried a different connection on the card. 1 of the DVI ports was bad on my 8800GTS back in the day and I wouldn't get a signal from that port.

A lot of the GT 610's on the market are low-profile. They either have 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI, 1 x D-Sub, or, 1 x HDMI 1 x DVI. There are only a few cards from ZOTAC and eVGA that are normal height, and have 2 x DVI ports.

This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask. When you put the video card in are you attaching the monitor cable to the video card? If yes have you tried a different connection on the card. 1 of the DVI ports was bad on my 8800GTS back in the day and I wouldn't get a signal from that port.

Yes I was attaching the monitor to the video card. It wasn't until I pulled the card and went into the bios and set the integrated graphics to always enabled so I could use it to troubleshoot that I realized that it was boot looping.

Funny thing is, now that I think about it I thought I heard the windows chime the first time I booted with the discrete card installed. This makes me wonder if there is some kind of issue with the board when it detects 2 video sources present because the first time I booted the board would have disabled the integrated graphics...

I'll have to play around some more when I get home...

Some BIOS have a "default video adapter" boot setting, and by default it may still be trying to boot to the onboard IGP.

Also worth asking, is if the card has any lights/fans, and if so, do they run/work when you boot the machine?

Back